David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should WHUFC offer David Moyes an extended contract?

Yes
37%
No
50%
Unsure
12%

Total votes: 1058

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: David Moyes: should he stay or should he go? [POLL]

Post by Colours never run »

Dwight1970 wrote:
We were not set up to be offensive, we put on more attacking players and went offensive to get an equaliser but once that objective was achieved we went back to being more defensive but now with fewer natural defensive players, once it was clear we were settling for a point Arsenal brought on Aubameyang to go more on the front foot and with some of our fitness levels looking poor they eventually overrun us and without Hart they could have won even more convincingly whereas Ospina was pretty much untroubled by us.

Had we been more offensive in the first half against an under strength Arsenal and fallen apart then you might have a point but not when we made changes to chase the game against opponents who had woken up from their first half coma.

We were definitely watching the same game. Just because a manager brings on an attacking player, it doesn't automatically mean we will then play more offensively. If anything, we were more offensive before the equaliser happened, then he tried to hang on as per usual rather than instructing his players to keep attacking putting them on the back foot more. And no that doesn't have to mean be reckless either. We went right into our shells and they predictably ended up blowing us away even though we had more than enough forwards on the pitch at the time. That's down to the managers tactics and direction, not personnel.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Dwight and CNR are on the money there. Great post from Dwight. I’m not against Moyes that much really, but for all the things he can be excused for, a self inflicted collapse by sitting deeper and deeper against a team who pretty much ****ed a switch and over powered us isn’t one...It was a similar story against Chelsea, we just managed the point thanks to Joe Hart.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

pezza20 wrote:For me staying up will be a miracle - due to the Bilic factor, the lack of signings, the damning of players, the injuries to key players - he's done a pretty good job. There is no way anyone should be criticizing his style of play, the goals conceded or the record against other managers because this is a totally different year, with other factors involved.
Moyes has done a good job, I didn't expect to see us actually try and play football this season but the truth is If Moyes is here next season, will we start playing attacking football? The answer is definitely not. Moyes doesn't know how, from Sociedad to Sunderland, his teams are setup to be pragmatic and try and knick a goal. His brand of football is the same as your Big Sams, your Pulis'. I don't want it here for any more than a season. Football is meant to be fun and whether you like it or not Moyes kills that fun. There is a reason Big Sam won't be at Everton next year and it isn't because he improved Evertons points gain and got them mid table stability. He will be out of a job because his football puts the crowd to sleep, just like Moyes is doing here.

If Moyes stays we will most likely fall in the cups early, finish 10th-17th and play boring, negative football. If we get in i.e Howe(dreaming) we will most likely fall in the cups early and finish 10th-17th BUT we will watch something 10x more enjoyable, actual attacking football. I'd rather have an attack minded manager that fails than a pragmatic manager who succeeds at our club.(Succeeding at our club, in this moment, is premier league survival)
If we are settling for someone of Moyes' ilk then we truly are doomed as a fanbase.
flysohigh
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by flysohigh »

:thup:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2082 likes
Total likes: 1791 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

So Ron Greenwood is not as good a manager as Lou Macari, Bilic and Big Sam - talk about lies, damn lies and statistics.

Judging by win percentage at this stage in his West Ham career is idiotic

Moyes has succeeded, pretty much, in his mission and deserves the chance to build a team. An actual team, not just a collection of individuals signed for reasons other than their playing ability
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Colours never run wrote:
We were definitely watching the same game. Just because a manager brings on an attacking player, it doesn't automatically mean we will then play more offensively. If anything, we were more offensive before the equaliser happened, then he tried to hang on as per usual rather than instructing his players to keep attacking putting them on the back foot more. And no that doesn't have to mean be reckless either. We went right into our shells and they predictably ended up blowing us away even though we had more than enough forwards on the pitch at the time. That's down to the managers tactics and direction, not personnel.
Nailed it.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Ironing Board wrote:
Moyes has succeeded, pretty much, in his mission and deserves the chance to build a team. An actual team, not just a collection of individuals signed for reasons other than their playing ability

Just because he keeps us up by the skin of his teeth which will be down to more about the teams below us failing miserably, it doesn't mean he then deserves to stay on. He's just restored his reputation a bit.

I asked the other night what he's honestly done to warrant extending his stay and I don't remember hearing a satisfactory answer, or indeed an answer at all. It's definitely not the football and the results have been at bear minimum with early pitiful exits in the Cup. So what is it he's done that means he deserves to stay on?
Liam
Has liked: 85 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Liam »

Ironing Board wrote:
We obviously have different success criteria! It’s looking like we’ll stay up through the ineptitude of other teams, not through any form of success in his own right.

He’s been poor, with occasional glimpses of what could be a good manager. Unfortunately for me those glimpses don’t do enough to get past the;
Terrible football
Terrible record
Poor form with previous clubs
Terrible record in the transfer market over the last 5 years
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Totally agree Liam.

If Moyes was to be sacked/leave, ask yourself this.. Would any other club in the prem want him?
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1903 likes
Total likes: 1613 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

He'll be out of work for as long as a team in the lower half is struggling, or Championship team looks like it needs a change.

Honestly who would have thought Sam would have gotten the Everton job, or Pardew another crack ? Hughes get sacked and almost immediately gets another gig...Pullis..

Hell Neil Warnock gets Cardiff cracking up the Championship...............

Same here in the States, football coaches get gigs all the time.

Gary Kubiak gets the sack in 'ouston, gets Denver gig right away..and wins the Super Bowl.

:lol:

But loads of coaches get gigs all over the place, even though their teams really struggle and have losing career records.....seemingly afraid of hiring young coaches but Vikings coach first head coaches job after 4 years got them to the Superbowl last year. Rams gave 30 year old coach first job last year, they went 11-5 so sometimes it works. There's other examples....but it seems whoever coaches the Browns goes there to die !!!

:lol:

Thing is it really does depend on the talent mostly. Some coaches improve their players far above and beyond, they mostly tend to be younger coaches who can relate..but systems change and coaches have to change. Old coaches seem to stick with old systems.

There's two kinds of coaches, them as has been fired, and them as gonna be fired..

Bum Phillips.....

8-)
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Up the Junction wrote:Sack Sam, they cried! Fire Slav, they whinged! Now it's Moyes' fault?

Meanwhile, over here on KUMB: http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132409
Better the focus remains on the manager while we have any doubts about going down

As I said before, I don’t believe momentum has turned in the favour of GSB, merely that we as a United support know when and where it’s more vital to focus our attention on. The actions against Burnley were right time and right place. But despite the club using a miscalculating Noble like a Corgi to plead for calm, our support were never going to keep repeating that response when it became clear the team needed points and time and support was needed.

I have zero doubt that focus and attention is coming back their way sooner rather than later whatever points tally we end up with.

But I think the support actually deserve credit for focusing their attention on players and manager until we’re clear.

GSB clearly need to go and aren’t wanted - but that’s the war, not the battle.
Frank fellover

Post by Frank fellover »

Given that Zola was sacked by Brady with a comment that 35pts total would normally get a team relegated. I dont see how they could consider keeping on Moyes. And Zola had a 5 point cushion from relegation!
Colours never run

Frank fellover wrote:Given that Zola was sacked by Brady with a comment that 35pts total would normally get a team relegated. I dont see how they could consider keeping on Moyes. And Zola had a 5 point cushion from relegation!

Did she? I can't remember her saying that. If so, an excellent point to show the levels of hypocrisy going on should they go through with it.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Frank fellover wrote:Given that Zola was sacked by Brady with a comment that 35pts total would normally get a team relegated. I dont see how they could consider keeping on Moyes. And Zola had a 5 point cushion from relegation!
Probably because Zola managed the entire season. He didn’t take over a team who’d managed to gather a pathetic 9 points from a possible 33.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

James P wrote:
Probably because Zola managed the entire season. He didn’t take over a team who’d managed to gather a pathetic 9 points from a possible 33.
At the same time Bournemouth had 10, Everton 8 and Palace 4 points so it was hardly a terminal position we were in at the time.

Anyone would think that Moyes took over a side adrift at the bottom of the table and has miraculously got us in a position of safety from that position, Bilic may have warranted his sacking but to say Moyes has done a lot better than him in the circumstances of this seasons Premier League is a bit misleading.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

No. He took over from a guy who’d managed the squad into a position of enduring its second relegation battle in a row. He’s steered us out of the bottom three and now in the summer he should get the chance to go to work on the squad so we don’t spend another year entrenched in the bottom third of the league.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

I honestly cannot remember a time in my life (46 years), where I have had zero interest in what our manager is doing, whether he should be here or not, or who the next bloke will be, the apathy I have for my club right now because of the goons is terrible.

f*** YOU GSB!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

James P wrote:Probably because Zola managed the entire season. He didn’t take over a team who’d managed to gather a pathetic 9 points from a possible 33.
so, moyes will be well short of 35 points at the end of the season. jane out!
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

I've started to switch from stay to go, in principle at least. But I still have no idea who would genuinely be able to do a better job with GSB upstairs.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

James P wrote:Probably because Zola managed the entire season. He didn’t take over a team who’d managed to gather a pathetic 9 points from a possible 33.
if we lose to city, moyes will have 10 points from a possible 33.