football grounds gone but never forgotten

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: football grounds gone but never forgotten

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Mon May 28, 2018 10:36 am

Went to all of the old grounds mention don here with the exception of Eastville. I'd have loved to have gone there - Bristol is a great city for a drinkie.

Look at the foreground of the 13th picture down in CH's gallery, the one with the lads on the terrace with scarves aloft. That really is a little garden area that they had between the goal and the terrace. How mad was that? They look like tulips to me but an avid gardener can put me right.

Edit: This song references and shows the flower beds in it's first few seconds. The quote at the end of the video - I'm with you bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awmW-7GvTYo
DaveWHU1964

Postby cockney hammer on Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 am

DaveWHU1964 wrote:Went to all of the old grounds mention don here with the exception of Eastville. I'd have loved to have gone there - Bristol is a great city for a drinkie.

Look at the foreground of the 13th picture down in CH's gallery, the one with the lads on the terrace with scarves aloft. That really is a little garden area that they had between the goal and the terrace. How mad was that? They look like tulips to me but an avid gardener can put me right.

Edit: This song references and shows the flower beds in it's first few seconds. The quote at the end of the video - I'm with you bro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awmW-7GvTYo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dave that was brilliant thanks mate i can relate to there pain i sadly never made eastville as well though i did get to twerton park when we played them

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Sliema1990 on Mon May 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Went to many a game at Eastville .In fact i think it was the first football ground i visited. They used to have Speedway, and Greyhound racing there too IRC.
Seen Rovers play at four grounds IRC Eastville, Forest Green, Twerton and the Memorial Ground.
Sliema1990

Postby cockney hammer on Mon May 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Sliema1990 wrote:Went to many a game at Eastville .In fact i think it was the first football ground i visited. They used to have Speedway, and Greyhound racing there too IRC.
Seen Rovers play at four grounds IRC Eastville, Forest Green, Twerton and the Memorial Ground.

are you a pirates fan mate
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Mon May 28, 2018 2:40 pm

this looks like the old baseball ground......around September iirc...

:lol:

new place looks a belter though.....
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby bonzosbeard on Mon May 28, 2018 2:52 pm

Leicester end stand and our West stand we're exact replicas except for Leicester being shorter. Apart from Arsenal's Ferrier designed stands most were done by Archibald Leitch. They had the criss cross balconies. Ours and Leicester were indeed different.
bonzosbeard

Postby cockney hammer on Mon May 28, 2018 7:37 pm

bonzosbeard wrote:Leicester end stand and our West stand we're exact replicas except for Leicester being shorter. Apart from Arsenal's Ferrier designed stands most were done by Archibald Leitch. They had the criss cross balconies. Ours and Leicester were indeed different.

nice one mate this was a great read
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby pharaoh on Mon May 28, 2018 8:13 pm

cockney hammer wrote:

nice one mate this was a great read

I have 3 editions of this book, latest being in the 90's when the new stadiums were being built. My bibles…they are history books now. I've got plenty of old photos, again have to dig them out and get time to upload.
pharaoh

Postby cockney hammer on Mon May 28, 2018 8:20 pm

that vwould be great mate would love to see them i have loads of league nom leaguge books etc
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby pharaoh on Mon May 28, 2018 8:27 pm

cockney hammer wrote:that vwould be great mate would love to see them i have loads of league nom leaguge books etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Football-Grounds-Britain-Simon-Inglis/dp/0002184265/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1527535556&sr=8-1&keywords=football+grounds+of+britain1990's edition
pharaoh

Postby Lovejoy2 on Mon May 28, 2018 8:37 pm

Brighton's old Goldstone Ground

Now

Lovejoy2

Postby trevshead10may1980 on Tue May 29, 2018 12:43 am

Blimey I completely forgot about Highbury, I went there several times, had the pleasure of seeing us win there in 77, Alan Taylors diving header,
trevshead10may1980

Postby cockney hammer on Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 pm

bolton wanderers burnden park

cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed May 30, 2018 7:04 am

Say what you want about Arsenal, but the old Highbury was a proper football stadium.

Obviously been a few times with West Ham, but I actually went to a home match there as a kid and enjoyed the overall experience. My mate's dad took us both (they were Arsenal fans) and though I was only about 10 and didn't celebrate the goals etc, I remember appreciating it for a proper day at the football without any hangups over rivalry.

Arsenal beat Luton 3-2, Lars Elstrup scored twice for Luton and I think Rocastle or Thomas scored and Alan Smith got a couple. We were right by the away end so we would have been West Lower, glancing into the away end with envy as Luton's goals went in.
It was one of those proper crisp cold sunny football days.

On the ticker scoreboard I think I saw our score flash up.... I believe we may have lost 2-0 to Liverpool.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby cockney hammer on Wed May 30, 2018 7:23 am

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Say what you want about Arsenal, but the old Highbury was a proper football stadium.

Obviously been a few times with West Ham, but I actually went to a home match there as a kid and enjoyed the overall experience. My mate's dad took us both (they were Arsenal fans) and though I was only about 10 and didn't celebrate the goals etc, I remember appreciating it for a proper day at the football without any hangups over rivalry.

Arsenal beat Luton 3-2, Lars Elstrup scored twice for Luton and I think Rocastle or Thomas scored and Alan Smith got a couple. We were right by the away end so we would have been West Lower, glancing into the away end with envy as Luton's goals went in.
It was one of those proper crisp cold sunny football days.

On the ticker scoreboard I think I saw our score flash up.... I believe we may have lost 2-0 to Liverpool.

can not disagree with a word of that i will do highbury tonight as i am of work untill monday it was so much better in the day

hope you are well mate and things are good with you all
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Postby Pokie on Wed May 30, 2018 7:58 am

Some great pics and memories

While not a ground we would have visited, have you any pics of Third Lanarks old ground?

I have seen pictures before of what is now a normal park but with some of the terracing still there?
Pokie

Postby rare as rockinghorse shat on Wed May 30, 2018 8:51 am

Yeah I'm good mate cheers. I'll have to try to get down to see you all. All my mate's have since moved out the area and I don't work down that way anymore so I'm never really in the area much any more.
rare as rockinghorse shat

Location: Sponsor my SkyDive for Mind - mental health - http://bit.ly/rars-skydive

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Wed May 30, 2018 9:45 am

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Say what you want about Arsenal, but the old Highbury was a proper football stadium.

Yes, Highbury was a grand old stadium and was always one of my favourite away days, even if I only saw us win there twice! It's also the only ground I've visited and not seen West Ham. As a student in the 1980's at North London Polytechnic, my best friend was a Belfast Gooner who had only chosen that educational establishment on account of its close proximity to Highbury. Over the years he came to a few West Ham games with me and likewise I went to Highbury, but only for some non competitive games, namely David O'Leary's testimonial vs Glasgow Celtic and also Pat Jennings' testimonial vs Tottenham. My abiding memory of Pat Jennings' testimonial was how packed Highbury was, there were even touts about such was the demand to say farewell to the genial Northern Irish keeper. IIRC the official attendance for that game was about 25k!! Now anyone who visited Highbury when North Bank and Clock End were still terraced will tell you that a packed Highbury held considerably more - but this was not uncommon in those days for testimonial crowds to be under stated for tax reasons.

I've yet to visit the new ground.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby hammerleroy on Wed May 30, 2018 9:59 am

On a non-league note Bedford Towns Eyrie. In their Southern League days they regularly used to upset league teams in the FA cup. Drew 2-2 at Arsenal in the late fifties and lost the replay at the Eyrie 2-1. Won at top-of-the-old-second second division Newcastle's St James Park 2-1 in 1964 in the third round before going out at home to Carlisle in front of 18000. Prior to Newcastle they won at Exeter and drew at Brighton before winning the replay 2-1 at the Eyrie. In 1967 on another cup run they lost at home to the eventual winners Everton in the fourth round 3-0 in front of a record 18500. And of course several of their players were signed by league teams. They finally went under and the piece of land in Bedford's Queens park area still stands empty. They eventually re-formed and now play on the A421 in Cardington in the Southern League South East. The Eyrie was one of those old grounds when you could change ends at half time if you fancied it. Saw our South East Counties sides play there regularly back in the day. Good memories but no photos I'm afraid.
hammerleroy

Postby ludo22 on Wed May 30, 2018 10:09 am

I went to Eastville the week before the 1980 FA Cup Final and we did them 2-0 with David Cross getting one .At the end,they were all chanting that we were going to get battered by Arsenal in the Final. :lol:

All I remember about Eastville is lots of wood.
ludo22

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion