Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2483 likes
Total likes: 4383 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 21 days remaining

Post by bubbles1966 »

Cellar-door wrote:A 21 year old putting up 5 and 4 is a very good year,
How many did Ross Barkley and Dele Alli get at that age?

Arnautovic was coming off 22 in the Eredivisie when he got loaned to the Champions League winners at the same age.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Bury Me @ The Boleyn wrote:Since Almiron got linked to us again recently, I want to point bring up another MLS player-- keeper Zack Steffen. Columbus just rejected a £3m bid from Bristol City for him. If Adrian goes back to Spain this window I think he could be brought in to backup/compete with Fabianski for maybe £4-5m. That boy is brimming with potential.
I was at Yankee Stadium last weekend. Saw him in action . Have to say I was quite impressed with both keepers. New York City's Sean Johnson equally imposing and solid too.
Steffen let in two late goals but looked competent like his counterpart. Didn't know about either but good to see you rate Steffen.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Cellar-door wrote:
At 29, the likelihood is we just saw the best year Marko willl have,
:? He turned 29 in April, so he was 28 for nearly all of last season and will be 29 for the vast majority of this season. He's hardly going to suddenly go downhill at the age of 29! I would wager he will score more than 11 goals this season as we are likely to play him up front for a full season with better players around him too.
Cellar-door wrote: also buying into a single season or crediting it all to a move central is a poor way to project forward. He played striker plenty in the past, he never had the success there he did last season or his clubs would have kept him there.
He hasn't played there much at all. He was played as a winger at Stoke.
Cellar-door wrote: A 21 year old putting up 5 and 4 is a very good year,
No it's not, it's distinctly average. As a comparison, Rashford is 20 and has scored 13, 11 and 8 in the last 3 seasons.

Cellar-door wrote: and while 40M-50M isn't a deal I'd personally make, he's young with success everywhere he's been, and he'll have resale value. Everton can't get the true top tier of player like Mahrez, his value was deflated by his running his contract down and he'd never accept a deal to an Everton, so they're getting someone that they think has a chance to be that eventually. They look at a quick skilled young Brazilian and say "could this be our Coutinho?" and his production is better than Coutinho's was at the same age, so they could be right. If they're wrong they still got a solid player that can help them and be sold on in a few years to minimize the cost. Resale value is huge, especially with the structured payments. 30M for a 29 year old is really more than 50 for 21, because when you get to the last payments of the 29 year old he isn't worth anything, when you get to the last payments on the 21 year old he's probably worth not much less than he was, maybe more.
What is this "success" you speak of? Because he's never won the league or a trophy wherever he's been.

I agree with a lot of your last paragraph, that's clearly what Everton are thinking. Coutinho is a strange comparison because they played in completely different positions.

I'm still not convinced that he's worth anywhere near £50 million, or that he had as great an impact on Watford staying as Arnautovic did to us (I appreciate that was mumbles who made that point but that's why I was talking about Arnie :thup: ).
Hemel Iron

Post by Hemel Iron »

Fonte has signed for Lille.
Calverley Hammer

Post by Calverley Hammer »

It is like some fans are having to prepare themselves for Arnie being sold by justifying he is past it.

How can anyone argue that we could replace his quality in the Team ?
traxop

Post by traxop »

If this Richarlison to Everton deal is in anyway, shape or form credible, then every team in the league should have a right laugh at them.

Have they not learnt anything from last season, they have gaps to fill everywhere in the team and they are going to blow 50M on Forward - whilst still having Tosun, Walcott and Lookman on the books? Their fans have been moaning that Koeman and Fat Sam spent recklessly, but this Richarlison deal would take the cake. I'm almost praying they go down just for entertaining such a deal. It's self-inflicting stupidity,
Last edited by traxop on Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

mumbles87 wrote:
Pickford was £30 million. One season in a poor Sunderland team. People questioned the fee and at times his ability last season now he is firmly England’s number one
Price is too high like most big money signings are these days but he's proving just how good he is in parts of last season with Everton but now on the biggest International stage. I never bought into half the nonsense said about him in the past.
hammer1975
Has liked: 977 likes
Total likes: 1144 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Calverley Hammer wrote:It is like some fans are having to prepare themselves for Arnie being sold by justifying he is past it.

How can anyone argue that we could replace his quality in the Team ?
Agree
Or justifying it because we can use the proceeds to go buy someone else. There is no guarantee they’d spend it (I personally think they wouldn’t) and we’ve had how many failed attempts at buying a capable striker in their time at the club?
Keep, don’t be softened up by talk of his brother shopping him around, thoughts of more money to spend or some naive accounting PL benefit when what counts is talent on the pitch.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

Danny Ward for 12.5m and Richarlson for approaching 50m makes some of our business look fabulous, and probably also ups the value of players we are looking to shift.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 509 likes
Total likes: 166 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Lord Zoltan wrote:
Stop saying pardon, its annoying
clawhammer wrote:Good luck with that one! :)
Makes me chuckle
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

bubbles1966 wrote:
How many did Ross Barkley and Dele Alli get at that age?

Arnautovic was coming off 22 in the Eredivisie when he got loaned to the Champions League winners at the same age.

Another point you decided to miss is that it can take foreign players a Season to adapt.. every top manager knows this. This was his first season in England

So at that age when they scored more how many seasons had Barkley and Alli done? Not comparable

He is no doubt a talent , 50 million is too high but Watford value him at that and Everton want him

Same as Anderson for us. Lazio held for a price that even their fans were shocked at. We paid it because our manager wanted him

No different here at all
dal
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by dal »

Peaches wrote:Danny Ward for 12.5m and Richarlson for approaching 50m makes some of our business look fabulous, and probably also ups the value of players we are looking to shift.

Southampton also paying 18m for Bryan Guns kid totally shocked me. Has he even made a first team appearance?
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

prices are increasing as we get nearer the window closing. I expect Chelsea to be busy soon and this will have a knock on effect. hopefully loftus cheek will come our way on loan.

still need a striker - tammy Abrahams for 15m would be ideal for us to replace carthorse carroll who I doubt will play again for us.

wouldn't mind laxalt as a new left back as I don't think cresswell is good enough nowadays and Arthur is more a LW/LWB than a LB in a four.

would only want us to shift byran hughill and Snodgrass but that will only raise 15m at most, enough for Tammy !

Antonio I would keep if his attitude is ok and he wants to stay part of our new project otherwise sell 25m at least in this market.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

bubbles1966 wrote:
He's crap.
:lol:

He really isnt
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Peaches wrote:Danny Ward for 12.5m and Richarlson for approaching 50m makes some of our business look fabulous, and probably also ups the value of players we are looking to shift.
I was just thinking this. When you consider signings like Anderson for £40m, who's had 4/5 consistent seasons in Serie A yet is only 25 compared to this Richarlison stuff, it makes us look shrewd on a lot of levels this summer, identifying good players at a good price, but also getting transfer work done before we have to panic with less than 20 days of the window left.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

exactly as the days go buy the price rises. IF we sell Antonio to palace maybe the price should be 35m !

we still need a couple more in though.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Rumours are the fee for richardlson is £35 plus add ons. Whilst seems a lot silva managed him before so clearly see’s something in him
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

glad we didn't go for him.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1078 likes
Total likes: 1382 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Bonkers

Makes Mawson at 25 seem less unreasonable...
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

Lord Zoltan wrote:
Stop saying pardon, its annoying
Don't ever stop Hugh.