Summer Transfer Window 2018

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 317 likes

Re: Summer Transfer Window 2018- 20 days remaining

Post by Het-Field »

hammer1975 wrote:We should be looking at a proven PL deep midfielder if we want to move on defensively from last season. Milivojevic, Schneiderlin, Capoue, Gueye, Ndidi, Romeu, Lemina....appreciate most of those won’t be for sale

Given watford’s turnover rate I do wonder if Capoue in particular is worth an enquiry.
I thought we made efforts for Capoue in January, which were rebuffed?

I think he'd be an excellent addition, and has been very important for Watford over the years.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Far too much emphasis being placed on specific defensive stats for holding mids. That position probably has the highest amount of intangible skill, things that don't show after the box ticking is totted up.

Kante is the best in the game at what he does, by an absolute mile as well. If he isn't top of the stat charts then you can disregard them.
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1159 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

FJ, whilst i’d agree that you shouldn’t make a decision on stats based on general flow of the game etc - I do think aerial stats for the team are important for set pieces. Ours were relatively poor last season - Ginge and Kouyate aside - and we conceded more from set pieces than anyone I believe.
Peaches
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 821 likes

Post by Peaches »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:A defensive midfielder that would suit us better perhaps is 23 year old ex Arsenal and Newcastle player , Isaac Hayden - I'd like to see us make them an offer for him should Obiang be sold to Sampdoria .
I’d be very happy with this. While Hayden hasn’t always played for Newcastle, when he did play, he looked like a proper responsible defensive midfielder.
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1414 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:A defensive midfielder that would suit us better perhaps is 23 year old ex Arsenal and Newcastle player , Isaac Hayden - I'd like to see us make them an offer for him should Obiang be sold to Sampdoria .
Hayden was excellent for Newcastle in the season they were promoted. Less of an impact last season but a lot less games too, and he also saw a lot less of the ball - about 20 passes per game on average compared to 45 in the Championship.

I'd like him here.

I still think Alexis Blin would be great for us, from Toulouse. Really combative, bit of bite to him, and young at 21. Would know Diop well so
they'd probablyy serve to settle each other.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Hope if our only real striker at the moment should leave, that we have a Top Striker in mind to replace him!
Norbert_Up_Norf
Location: Chav Corner, St James Park, Newcastle (a long way from home)

Post by Norbert_Up_Norf »

Has asked to leave Newcastle too - wants to return south I believe.

Did well last season although primarily used to lock things down later in games. Whether he has the discipline to fulfill that role against better players and for longer periods is untested. Rafa seemed reluctant to rely on him...
hammernsickle
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by hammernsickle »

fjthegrey wrote:Far too much emphasis being placed on specific defensive stats for holding mids. That position probably has the highest amount of intangible skill, things that don't show after the box ticking is totted up.

Kante is the best in the game at what he does, by an absolute mile as well. If he isn't top of the stat charts then you can disregard them.
Excellent post. There is no statistic for "harrying a player for twenty yards until he gets so flustered he makes a mistake and gives possession away."
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3173 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

To sigh loudly with words, I was merely bringing up those stats as an interest with these players.

Difficult to judge many things, cos we lack some intangibles like energy, short bursts of acceleration, height, passing under pressure and well, discipline etc

But I do think we need someone who wins the ball back in difficult situations, which Badou’s stats are ok for.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

I didn't mean you specifically dude. It's been a consistent feature in the thread.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"

Post by Wilko1304 »

fjthegrey wrote:I didn't mean you specifically dude. It's been a consistent feature in the thread.
I think I was replying to that same back and forth that comes with stats and then the reaction to stats that comes up each time, like Kumb transfer thread bingo, so didn’t mean you specifically either :D

Bloody lovely manners though, FJ. An absolute joy
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

fjthegrey wrote:Far too much emphasis being placed on specific defensive stats for holding mids. That position probably has the highest amount of intangible skill, things that don't show after the box ticking is totted up.

You need to know what you are looking for.

Kante is leading the stats on successful tackles in midfield. Best out of any player in any top league.

No position is out of the statisticians range.

What is difficult though is the multi-dimensional analysis that is in essence how a team perform.

Two good holding players are sometimes required for a tactic to work, sometimes one. Even more important is the emphasis on the transition stage. That is primarily down to the manager/head coach to implement.

If the World Cup can provide a pointer, a successful team is excellent at switching from attacking to defending.
fjthegrey

Post by fjthegrey »

That's been the case for more than a decade though. Mourinho's entire philosophy is based on transitions. He builds his teams to be near bullet proof when the ball is surrendered due to how dangerous he deems those phases. Its why his teams are generally dull, nobody ever breaks on them, or they struggle to.
Wilko1304

Post by Wilko1304 »

The current buzz is on “packing” which is how many people are beaten by a pass. I think it’s why Xhaka was highly thought of before Arsenal, being of importance in that role of quick transition.

If you beat three men with a pass from your own area and you’re getting close to getting at the opposition’s backline.
Calverley Hammer

Post by Calverley Hammer »

So if reports are correct Obiang will be the first to leave (gianluca di marzio). That must mean we have a CDM target lined up surely ?

Reports also putting 2 + 2 and making 5 by suggesting a swap deal with Antonio + cash for Zaha. Can’t say I fancy that myself (for the money involved).
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2391 likes

Post by Ozza »

You wouldn’t want Zaha here?
Calverley Hammer

Post by Calverley Hammer »

Ozza wrote:You wouldn’t want Zaha here?
As a swap with Antonio ? Of course

As Antonio + £30m ? No chance
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

Calverley Hammer wrote:So if reports are correct Obiang will be the first to leave (gianluca di marzio). That must mean we have a CDM target lined up surely ?

Reports also putting 2 + 2 and making 5 by suggesting a swap deal with Antonio + cash for Zaha. Can’t say I fancy that myself (for the money involved).
Hasn't Zaha said he wants to move for CL football?
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

This is something I was thinking watching Carvalho at the WC. What you can't measure is how often his positioning was exactly right to cut off options when the opposing team had possession. He seemed to make very few challenges for a DM, but his positional play was mostly spot on, which pre-empted having to make some challenges.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Rocketron wrote:

Hasn't Zaha said he wants to move for CL football?
No disrespect to Zaha, very talented player, but worthy of starting for any of last season's top 4 sides? I think not.