West Ham United v Chelsea - yesteryear

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

West Ham United v Chelsea - yesteryear

Postby One Peter Butler on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:05 pm

Last season there was a thread run alongside some match day threads recalling past games against that week’s opposition. Some of them were brilliant reads!

There must be some great Chelsea memories out there.

I start with a regret. I was not at the 4-0 at the Bridge in 85-86. It is right up there for me with games I would love to have been at.

My best memory is probably the 3-2 in about 1996 I think. We had beaten Spurs 4-3 a few weeks earlier and then I think Dowie got a last minute winner against this lot.

I remember when they could not win anything so Ken Bates invented the Full Members cup and I think they won it one year? Loved it when they went down in ‘88!
Last edited by sicknote on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Our full club name edited into thread title
One Peter Butler

Re: West Ham v Chelsea - yesteryear

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:31 pm

pretty sure I was at the Bridge for the 5-5 game.....1966-67 17th December 1966

according to Wiki

2-0 up 24 & 30th min
2-2 40 & 51st min
3-2 down 54th min
5-3 up 55 & 59 & 61st min
5-5 80 & 90th - pen.

bloody typical..

5 goals in 10 minutes !!!!!!

seems to remember we were out in the rain..there was only about 5K iirc in The Shed...

got soaked...several of us wearing sheepskins, took about 3 days to dry out...

again if my memory is correct...

(Joe Kirkup played for them !!)
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby ooh look who it is on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:43 pm

Leroy and 4-1. Still got it on video somewhere
ooh look who it is

Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Postby polar on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:49 pm

Paolo, shirt off, running towards the corner flag, wearing a vest.
polar

Postby One Peter Butler on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:56 pm

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:pretty sure I was at the Bridge for the 5-5 game.....1966-67 17th December 1966

according to Wiki

2-0 up 24 & 30th min
2-2 40 & 51st min
3-2 down 54th min
5-3 up 55 & 59 & 61st min
5-5 80 & 90th - pen.

bloody typical..

5 goals in 10 minutes !!!!!!

seems to remember we were out in the rain..there was only about 5K iirc in The Shed...

got soaked...several of us wearing sheepskins, took about 3 days to dry out...

again if my memory is correct...

(Joe Kirkup played for them !!)

Wow - I envy you that!
One Peter Butler

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:59 pm

OPB

well I am hopeful my memory is intact..

I do remember the 5-5......I do remember getting soaked through. I do remember my full length sheepskin over the chair taking days to dry. I do remember a week before Christmas.

Now quite whether (no pun intended) they all happened at the same time is quite something else.....

:D
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby brooking10 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:03 pm

4-0 in 1981 when Trev got 2. Thousands locked out.

The Paolo 1-0 was a great day as well, thought we were going to stay up after that.
brooking10

Re: West Ham United v Chelsea - yesteryear

Postby sicknote on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 pm

Thé 4 0 Cottee Macavenie and devo masterclass in 85/86 at theirs

At the Boleyn, the 4 1 when Leroy strangled steve Clarke and they ended up in the first ever play off , which saw them the top league team face and lose to Middlesborough a division 2 team and got relegated, a great day

Thé 5 3 was a bonkers game at the Boleyn , the fella who ran out the run and did three somersault / rolls was hilarious
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby bubbles1966 on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:25 pm

sicknote wrote:Thé 4 0 Cottee Macavenie and devo masterclass in 85/86 at theirs

At the Boleyn, the 4 1 when Leroy strangled steve Clarke and they ended up in the first ever play off , which saw them the top league team face and lose to Middlesborough a division 2 team and got relegated, a great day

Thé 5 3 was a bonkers game at the Boleyn , the fella who ran out the run and did three somersault / rolls was hilarious

the 4-0 was great and I can remember some idiot trying to gob on the linesman from the chicken run and hitting the people in front of him in the 5-3...

The 2-1 cup game is probably the most memorable game yet played at Stratford for one reason or another.
bubbles1966

Location: It's December.....time to forget the serious things...merry Xmas all

Postby Albie Beck on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:43 pm

Was in the home STHs the game that Di Canio scored a worldie, and single-handed turned the game around. I had to limit myself to getting half-way to my feet and, remembering where I was, saying "wow, that was quite good..." or something :D
Albie Beck

Postby TootingRob on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:17 pm

The 5-3 is one of my favourite games ever, bonkers game of football, kicked off at half time in their end and bizarrely an Aussie rules team out on the pitch at half time watching the ruckus. Wonder what they made of it all? Good old days, would have gone in on my season ticket stub book, had a bet at the bookies before going onto the North bank with a steaming cup of Bovril in my hand, probably had a bag of PEEEAAAAANNNUUUUUUTTTTTTSSSSSSSS and stood on the big step just above the crossbar behind the goal, crowd surges, a sing song with thousands taking part, banter between us and the knobs from the Kings Road. Remember Ibrox on the way out. Pretty sure we'd have gone into the caravan shop outside the main stand afterwards. A bag of chips from the West Ham chippy by the station (can't remember what it was called) on the way home, queuing up at UP maybe in the pouring rain to get the train home to Tooting but not caring a jot. Then sitting down on the tube to read OLAS and listen out for people who knew the other scores. Happy happy days.
TootingRob

Postby Barking Boy on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:23 pm

Has to be 85/86 at the Bridge. Devo's goal wasn't bad and he came off that pitch as clean as when he went on! Not sure what goal it was but George Parris and Dickens playing one-two's down the wing before one of Cottee or Mac put it away.

Or last season at the Old Girl with Carroll's header?
Barking Boy

Postby TootingRob on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:23 pm

Oh and of course wasn't it always lovely to win a big game then watch their lot get marched down Green st surrounded by old Bill with dogs barking like mad and the horses threatening to trample anyone not paying attention looking thoroughly miserable at being taken away from out patch. They all thought it was an intimidating ****hole. They may have been spot on, but it was our ****hole.....
TootingRob

Postby The Collector on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:28 pm

TootingRob wrote:The 5-3 is one of my favourite games ever, bonkers game of football, kicked off at half time in their end and bizarrely an Aussie rules team out on the pitch at half time watching the ruckus. Wonder what they made of it all? .

It was not until I read your post that I remembered this! Some of the Aussie rules players stood on the pitch taking photos of the running battles on the South Bank. For the life of me I could not remember the score of that game.
The Collector

Postby pbenjy on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 am

TootingRob wrote:The 5-3 is one of my favourite games ever.....

Me too. I often watch this when I need cheering up. The scenes when Cottee slams home the fifth goal never fail to make me smile.
https://youtu.be/zgH7--4Ck5Q
pbenjy

Postby Iron George on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:02 am

brooking10 wrote:4-0 in 1981 when Trev got 2. Thousands locked out.

The Paolo 1-0 was a great day as well, thought we were going to stay up after that.

1981. Two of the best goals you'll ever see from Sir Trev.

Bent the ball from distance past their keeper ( Borota ?) who could only stand and admire.

What a team that 80/81 side was.
Iron George

Postby sicknote on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:08 am

Great game the trev 4 0

It was lively before the game , the corner flag became a javelin at one point in the away end

From memory we put 4 past Chelsea then the following game won 4 2 against Cambridge United

Trêves goal thé Chelsea game curled into the top corner was pure genius
sicknote
Plumbing the depths

Postby e10hammer on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:26 am

Remember that corner flag going in to the away end as a javelin and coming back out in bits, it was mental that day, the first time i got scared at an home game due to the crowds trying to get in the North bank entrance, it wasn't far off a Hillsborough type situation, thousands locked out, including a couple of my mates who had the turnstiles shut on them just as i got in.
e10hammer

Postby pharaoh on Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:50 am

I was one of the thousands locked out of the 4-0 at the Boleyn, ironically this was due to waiting for a friend who was a Chelsea fan. I heard afterwards about Trev's goal but there was no TV footage. I also heard Borota, who was a bit of a maverick, applauded as it beat him.

I was at the 1985-6 game though, and at the time Chelsea were also in the frame for the title. Also I remember a few seasons later at the BG where we were losing 3-2 with about 20 minutes left and ended up winning 5-3..I think Cottee got a hat trick.

We had a good record against them in the 80's.
pharaoh

Postby StokeIrons on Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:39 pm

St Valentine's Day Massacre 1981 - Was in the West Side , got down early from Stoke, was in the ground not long after one o'clock

Easter Weekend 1986 4-0 at their place

Two great days
StokeIrons

Next

Return to General Discussion