Manuel Pellegrini: West Ham United’s 17th manager

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1675 likes

Re: Manuel Pellegrini West Ham United’s 17th manager

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

I think as a whole when you look back at our fixtures, we could have a very different point total right now.

Liverpool - Outplayed.

Bournemouth - 1st half we did alright, had Arnie been a bit less selfish, we may of gone in at HT 2-0 up and then it's a different game. 2nd half we were really poor.

Arsenal - Completely dominated large parts of this game, created more than enough chances to win it.

Wolves - Thought we were terrible all game if i'm honest but we still should of got a point if we didn't fall asleep at the end.

Everton - Got what we deserved.

Chelsea - Yarmolenko puts away that sitter we probably win.

Man United - Got what we deserved.

All if's and but's, but could easily be on more points than we currently have!
East_London_Hammer

Post by East_London_Hammer »

Pellegrini out, should have give Moyes 100 million ;)
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:I think as a whole when you look back at our fixtures, we could have a very different point total right now.

Liverpool - Outplayed.

Bournemouth - 1st half we did alright, had Arnie been a bit less selfish, we may of gone in at HT 2-0 up and then it's a different game. 2nd half we were really poor.

Arsenal - Completely dominated large parts of this game, created more than enough chances to win it.

Wolves - Thought we were terrible all game if i'm honest but we still should of got a point if we didn't fall asleep at the end.

Everton - Got what we deserved.

Chelsea - Yarmolenko puts away that sitter we probably win.

Man United - Got what we deserved.

All if's and but's, but could easily be on more points than we currently have!

I make it that we could have had 8 more points by winning those games against Bournmouth Arsenal and Chelsea.

Imagine if we had 15 points tonight.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Everyone knows the love I have for Pellegrini, but whilst I'm thinking of it, I have a bug bear of his I don't like to see on the weekend. During the first half I noticed when defending a corner at the BML end, he didn't station players on the posts. I said to my mate at the time, I don't like to see it as it can be easily exploited and lo and behold that's exactly what happened in the 2nd half for Man Utds goal.

I still love him and his debonair bouffant though.
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 497 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Colours never run wrote:Everyone knows the love I have for Pellegrini, but whilst I'm thinking of it, I have a bug bear of his I don't like to see on the weekend. During the first half I noticed when defending a corner at the BML end, he didn't station players on the posts. I said to my mate at the time, I don't like to see it as it can be easily exploited and lo and behold that's exactly what happened in the 2nd half for Man Utds goal.

I still love him and his debonair bouffant though.
Plenty of cover at the back and down both sides, and a quick transition up top.

.....is what he tells his barber.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

Wish he wasn’t here and never wanted him.
Don’t agree with his tactics, formation and not certain he could motivate players as well as most other managers in the league.
We needed someone younger someone in their 40s who was on job 2 or 3......someone who could grow with the club and had a clear identity. Diop, Fabianski and maybe Balbuena look decent signings the others not sure at all. Unlucky with Yarmolenko and Sánchez getting injured now there needs to be a pragmatism in his management.
englebert

Post by englebert »

What’s the point in getting a manager in their 40’s who could grow with the club, when a couple of defeats and people call for the managers head. Not just this club but most clubs. Managers just don’t get time anymore. I like the passing game he has implemented. We have shocking injuries again so we will be struggling again for the time being. But I like what he is trying to do
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

englebert wrote:What’s the point in getting a manager in their 40’s who could grow with the club, when a couple of defeats and people call for the managers head. Not just this club but most clubs. Managers just don’t get time anymore. I like the passing game he has implemented. We have shocking injuries again so we will be struggling again for the time being. But I like what he is trying to do
:thup:
Ironing Board
Has liked: 2083 likes
Total likes: 1802 likes

Post by Ironing Board »

We’ve been quite tidy recently, so definite progress has been made. Whether we are any better than at the end of last season is open to debate.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 937 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Ironing Board wrote:Whether we are any better than at the end of last season is open to debate.
We are much better.

We do not look like getting tonked and have given everyone a game except the opener.

We create a load of chances.

Diop, The General, Fabianski, Yarmolenko and Anderson have all improved the team. Lanzini has been a real loss.

We have taken the cup more seriously.

Most importantly, we are better to pay to go see.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1986 likes
Total likes: 1665 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

as I don't pay, I'll obviously give you that mate, you do the miles from what I read on here.......

however, we don't look like getting tonked - you're spot on...

however I have the feeling that we ain't going to win much - I can't see where the goals are coming from, and when we create those chances, the bloody opposing goalie has a worldie - he goes walkabout other weeks but decides to play like he's got his international coaches in the stands.

we're still at the "why can't everyone at least have a 7/10 instead of several having 9's and others having 4/5's..

Noble, Anderson on the 4/5's, Cresswell having a 6, Arnie having an 8, the defense in general 8's, Snodders having an 8 for him but we know he has limitations, Antonio having a 7, Brady having a 6 really, Chicharito I thought having an 8 in his short time. which is like having a Ferrari and putting regular petrol in it.

runs well at times, powers up but struggles to maintain 70. and cuts out in traffic.

:D
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

we're not there yet but the improvement from the last couple of seasons is noticeable. After the first few games many were screaming for 3/5 at the back. Well pell has shown that you can stop conceding loads of goals while playing 4. We haven't conceded more than 1 goal in our last half a dozen games. I haven't checked but I'd be very surprised if we managed that sequence at any stage last season. We're not scoring enough, but if we went all through the season conceding one or less we'd do quite well. I'm not suggesting we will, specially as city are up soon but it's a big improvement.
Gsbgsb
Has liked: 318 likes
Total likes: 747 likes

Post by Gsbgsb »

We are playing better football under MP than we have in recent times, at least on the eye. That hopefully will turn into results in due course as I would love us to both play well and succeed as opposed to have to be more pragmatic.

That said in Moyes first 9 games we scored 11, conceded 16 and picked up 11 points - that was a manger taking over a shambles and without the advantage of a pre-season or transfer window. The current record is scored 8, conceded 14 with 7 points which is certainly not a noticeable improvement results wise.

As for taking the cups more seriuosly the jury is out on that. We made 8 changes v Macclesfield and until the first goal went in it was a contest, after that it was embarrassing. Similar number of changes and those on the pitch not doing their job gets previous managers grief for not taking the cup seriuosly.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

MP has improved us as we are now a passing team and not hoof ball. we have lots of possession and create chances. under moyes we were dire to watch and got stuffed regularly.

injuries are now biting and the main problem is we don't score goals therefore one goal is enough to beat us.
brighton got lucky as did spurs both scoring after bad defensive lapses. after that we just couldn't score.
we should have got 4 points from those two but ended up with none.

over reliance on arnie is my main concern. if he doesn't score who will ?

now our next goalscorer, yarmolenko , is out for the season MP will need to rethink a bit and bring Hernandez in.

cresswell v Arthur rages on. cresswell back in on Saturday was poor. Arthur made a terrible mistake in his last game . close call.
Patito

Post by Patito »

The 'experts' often say it takes 3 windows for a manager to put his stamp on the team. We are a long way off the finished article but we have played plenty of good stuff as well. Even in the last 2 games we have created plenty of chances we just need to take them. It still looks like we are trying to find that ever-elusive balance between attack and defence, it's going to take a few months more before it clicks and we get it right IMO. We still desperately need an energetic central midfielder and Lanzini back IMO, that could be the difference.
Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by Marky »

We have spent £100m and are 2 points above Cardiff and we haven’t scored in last 2 games.....
3 Hone losses out of 5...
Come on everyone that’s poor.
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

I think man u have spent over a third of a billion in the mourhino era and they struggle for top 4 every year. It's going to take time and if you can't see the difference in how we play from last season then you'd be impossible to convince we're going in the right direction.
leer34
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 84 likes

Post by leer34 »

Havent felt this positive about us as a team since last season at upton park.
People thought we couldnt play with a back 4 the manager has not only proved we can he has stopped the the leaking of goals,
Has also implemented a positive front foot style and we are still only 9 games in,
So so much more to come from us as well,
Bigger picture shows we are on the right path,
Manager has also only had 1 transfer window.
AnyOldIron

Post by AnyOldIron »

Absolutely Hammered! wrote:I think man u have spent over a third of a billion in the mourhino era and they struggle for top 4 every year. It's going to take time and if you can't see the difference in how we play from last season then you'd be impossible to convince we're going in the right direction.
:thup:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I really like him and like the way we are playing our football.