Jan Transfer Window 18/19

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Re: Jan Transfer Window 18/19

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Left back position is the position we should be sorting and quickly.

It wouldn't be disappointing if we moved on Carroll and Hernandez ready for the summer and filled the left back position with a good loan or a permanent.

It has been our weakest position this season.

We are Ok in other positions given the system he is playing
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

bristolhammerfc wrote:We are Ok in other positions given the system he is playing
RB brisl? Freddie out, Byram injured too and Zab one bad knock away from leaving us with Antonio
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Depends whether Pellers rates Ben Johnson.

I’d still go RB, LB, CM, ST for my January/Summer wish list.
bristolhammerfc

I think so Albie.

I think they will look at the squad with Byram, Fredericks and Zabaletta and decide that's enough money out in those positions until the summer. We may have to use square pegs, but I can't see them investing in that position. Maybe a short term free or a short term loan but I can't see it.

I am not advocating it, but history indicates they won't overload positions, even with injuries.

In terms of Left Back however, we are short on quality and quantity. Arthur is not a left back and Creswell looks more and more out of favour. I think if they can offload one, we will see a replacement or two.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a few loans with options out:

Carroll, Hernandez, and maybe even Obiang.

I think we will be tight with the purse strings.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 618 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Depressingly, you may be correct brisl...
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

bristolhammerfc wrote:Left back position is the position we should be sorting and quickly.

It wouldn't be disappointing if we moved on Carroll and Hernandez ready for the summer and filled the left back position with a good loan or a permanent.

It has been our weakest position this season.

We are Ok in other positions given the system he is playing
I'd find it massively disapponting if we shifted AC and Pea in Jan. Both are fantastic options off the bench and both score goals. More importantly, we'd have no striker depth for the rest of the season. The board would end up bringing in another Emineke on loan to fill the (temporary) gap.
bristolhammerfc

I think you can add Perez, Yarmolenko, Antonio and Anderson who could all play in the furthest forward attacking position.

Lanzini back covers any of those playing there.
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

"Could" being the operative word.

None of those players possess the finishing ability of either AC or Pea. None are strikers, bar Perez (who has looked far from convincing to date in England), and on top of that, I thought Yarmolenko is out for much of the season?

I have no issue with selling either AC and Pea, just not in Jan. I think both can be huge assets, especially off the bench.
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

As much as I like Carroll and Hernandez, they have both spent the last season and a half getting paid a lot and producing barely anything. They are 29 and 30 and are getting worse not better. You can say the same about Antonio although at 28 Antonio may be able to recapture his best form, but he lacks the technical ability (and brain) to play in a Pelligrini team. Ogbonna at 30 and on a handsome wedge is also not contributing, neither is Creswell.
I would happily sell the 5 of them and spend their fees and wages on young, hungry promising players who will be on lesser wages and will hopefully allow us to give Declan Rice a proper contract.
I see the Dildo brothers have set a price tag of 20m for Antonio, which will never be paid. The best we can hope for is a part or full exchange in a deal for Wan-Bissaka, as for some reason Roy and the powers that be at Palace seem to want Iron Mike.
Out : Carroll, Hernandez, Antonio, Ogbonna, Creswell
In: Gabriel Barbosa, Wan-Bissaka, Chris Mepham, Kieran Tierney, Loftus-Cheek on loan to buy.
Cellar-door
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 298 likes

Post by Cellar-door »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I think you can add Perez, Yarmolenko, Antonio and Anderson who could all play in the furthest forward attacking position.

Anderson isn't really a striker.
Perez and Antonio aren't anywhere near Chicharito's level in finishing (or even passing for that matter)
and of the other 2, Yarmolenko isn't going to play this season and Lanzini may not be anywhere near 100% this season. Moving AC could make sense, he's injury prone, he may not fit the system at all, etc. but both he and Chicharito weakens the squad in a way that is almost impossible to replace. If Arnie gets sold or worse injured Chicharito immediately becomes one of our most important players, and there is a far better chance he comes close to Arnie's production than any of the rest of our striker options.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

bristolhammerfc wrote:I think you can add Perez, Yarmolenko, Antonio and Anderson who could all play in the furthest forward attacking position.

Antonio cannot play in the furthest forward position.
steveyrockstar

Post by steveyrockstar »

According to many on here, Antonio is shockingly bad who couldn't hit a barndoor with a banjo at present.

Honestly, I think selling both AC and Pea in Jan would be crazy. Getting rid of both would be utter madness. Our squad is far, far weaker without them. I still harbour naive hopes of a FA cup run. Our chances will be massively reduced without the firepower of those guys in reserve.

Also, I don't really think that Pea has had much chance yet under Pellers due to injury/illness/WC hangover.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1791 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

ESPN say Besiktas are interested in Hernandez
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:ESPN say Besiktas are interested in Hernandez
Suit him down to the ground, love paying high wages for well known older players past their best, only thing is they will want him for minimal cost.

Negredo, Medel, Love,

They just don't like paying fees
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

fmgod wrote:
Suit him down to the ground, love paying high wages for well known older players past their best, only thing is they will want him for minimal cost.

Negredo, Medel, Love,

They just don't like paying fees
Sounds familiar!!
Peaches
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 793 likes

Post by Peaches »

I’d be all over the two Uruguayan youngsters Bruno Mendez and Matthias Suarez. They held their own against Mbappe, Griezmann and co. Mendez can play centre back and right back and Suarez either full back position
They’d also be good company should we show some intent and sign Maxi Gomez..
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

According to this morning's 'Mirror' the Koutris story as reported yesterday, has legs. It reports he has been scouted by Housillos and we are lining up a January bid. Who is this geezer? Quality left back, or another Arthur ?
Patito

Post by Patito »

Leandro Koutris everyone...

[youtube]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WrgtfZbAjBM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube]
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

^^^^

Ohh FFS..

How very West Ham.
snooperpooper
Has liked: 160 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by snooperpooper »

Perhaps WHUFC are initiating recruitment this way, is it the future of football transfers?

telegraph.co.uk

Welcome to football's version of speed dating: Matching players with clubs has entered a whole new world
Jeremy Wilson, Chief Sports Reporter, in Amsterdam 21 November 2018 • 7:30am
6-8 minutes

The sign on the entrance to Ajax’s Johan Cruyff Arena is certainly intriguing. “The speed-dating of football,” it says. Step inside and you soon begin to understand the proud comparison. Rows and rows of tables and chairs have been carefully laid out; and the conversations are both intense and purposeful. And yet there are often also laptops on the table playing videos of footballers.

The occasional hand gesture is Klopp-esque. And the talks are overwhelmingly being conducted by smartly-dressed men who have descended this week on Amsterdam from every corner of the globe for the Wyscout Forum. They are football executives, consultants, scouts, lawyers, agents and performance directors.

Almost 200 clubs are represented, from Juventus, Liverpool and Manchester City to teams in Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan and Mexico. Each with their own agenda. Each with their own objective and each, in their own way, trying to consolidate their work in football’s vastly disparate landscape.

“Speed-dating might make it sound a bit sleazy,” says John Wake, head of recruitment at the Avid Sports & Entertainment Group. “It is basically just networking and an excellent event. It’s a chance to meet lots of people in person from the industry and develop relationships.”

Wake’s focus has been clubs in the Balkans, but thousands of bespoke meetings are being facilitated. Organiser Wyscout, a company that already provides digital information and analysis to more than 1,000 clubs, has identified another gap in the industry. Namely the chance for those people who execute football transfers to get together at one event. There are more than 700 delegates from 65 different countries in attendance, and it is a forum at which significant transfer deals really can get started. Italy striker Sebastian Giovinco, for example, went from Juventus to Major League Soccer with Toronto after a successful “speed-date”.

His agent had actually begun the conversation about another client but the talks developed into a proposal that ended with Giovinco becoming the MLS’s highest-paid player. He has since scored 68 goals in 114 games. “I’m realistic, Ronaldo will never be announced here but big names are only five per cent of every transfer window,” says Matteo Campodonico, who founded Wyscout in 2004 with his partners, Simone Falzetti and Pier Saltamacchia.

“There are clubs in an emergency already this season after starting badly. They need to find players fast to change the direction of the season. The market is so big and global. Just a phone is not enough. You can sit here and every 20 minutes you have a new agent or club in front of you. We can analyse every player in the world.”

A demonstration on the screens around the conference is instructive. Want an emerging teenage South American striker who has, say, played in 80 per cent of his club’s first-team matches this season and completed 80 per cent of dribbles? Apply the various filters and a list is soon in front of you. Videos of those players are also instantly available.

The body language, and various cultural differences are fascinating to observe. Agents are naturally keen to speak with the Manchester City representatives – something that often makes other agents quietly despair. “We know the standard of players some of them have got and they are showing the guys at City or Liverpool a video,” says one agent. “You can see the club’s recruitment person glaze over. No chance.”

Generally it is the agents who seem to be trying hardest to impress the clubs, but there are exceptions. David Baldwin, for example, is Aaron Ramsey’s agent but, for all the interest in a player who will be out of contract next summer and so free to speak with overseas clubs in a matter of weeks, it has been made clear that he will not entertain that conversation just yet. Various requests to speak with media in Italy and Germany – Ramsey has been strongly linked with both Juventus and Bayern Munich – are also politely rejected.

Gretar Steinsson, a former Iceland international and now Fleetwood Town’s technical director, is another who has come prepared. Describing his club as “very progressive and ambitious”, he has drawn up a list of those people he will “target” over the two days and it is clearly also about learning best practice as well as identifying possible transfers. “You might make a relationship that is useful next week, next year or in five years,” says Steinsson.

Others have more pressing priorities. A delegation of clubs from Ghana have made the journey after having their domestic league suspended this season following allegations of corruption in the domestic game. “The players can’t sit idle – we want to build the league back up and we are here to organise tournaments and make collaborations,” says Charles Kwadwo-Ntim, president of Techiman City. Fiorenzuola, a semi-professional club in the fourth tier of Italian football, held encouraging talks with Villarreal about a future partnership.

A strict lanyard code is in force. Pink means that you are from a club and so generally most in demand. Yellow means agent – and the regulation around player representatives is a persistent point of discussion around the fringes of the forum. There were around 500 Fifa-licensed agents 10 years ago. That figure now stands at 6,000 after a change to the regulations made it much easier to become an agent. The rationale was to reduce unlicensed agents but there is now talk of reintroducing an exam, something Wake very much wants to happen.

“You want things done properly,” he says. “You hear of young lads getting the worst possible advice by unethical and unqualified people. It’s properly frightening. Deregulation has not helped.”

One trend that will not be reversed is the globalisation of the transfer market and, with just about every location and level of football represented, events such as Wyscout really should ultimately also mean rather fewer transfer mistakes come January. “It should be impossible for a club to buy a player today without knowing him 100 per cent,” says Campodonico.