If Thatcher plays?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Should the club forgive Ben Thatcher's misdemeanours and offer him a short term contract?

Yes
10%
No
81%
Unsure
9%

Total votes: 124

Frodo Hammer

Re: If Thatcher plays?

Post by Frodo Hammer »

Sorry Double post
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Post by davids cross »

Frodo Hammer wrote:
I still say booing a player in claret and blue is a disgrace
It's only my opinion but there are some things that are of greater principle than the wearing of the claret and blue.........this is one.
Frodo Hammer

Post by Frodo Hammer »

davids cross wrote: It's only my opinion but there are some things that are of greater principle than the wearing of the claret and blue.........this is one.
Fair enough mate, your opinion, I prefer to deal with it by not cheering or booing.
Kentammer
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Kentammer »

Hambrosia Stu wrote:I could forgive his previous misdemeanors (or at least give him the benefit of the doubt) if I thought he was just the player we needed

But as he isn't, his previous misdemeanors are not easily forgotten

I know Curbs has a better idea than me as to what West Ham need, and has a better idea than me as to what Thatcher would offer us, and that I should be willing to trust his judgement. But I can only call it as I see it, with the information available to me. And as a result, I don't want Thatcher, as I believe there has to be a better option out there

I guess it is mainly about the football for me, and less about his past misdemeanors. Maybe he could do a job, but I'd rather look elsewhere
I agree 100% with that. And I think, if we really had to, I'd rather see Widdowson there. We do need some quality back up though, what happens if Macca does get a long term injury? No recognised LB would be a massive weak point in our defence.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1964 likes
Total likes: 1649 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

KH

and HAD been all last year. Spector was only ever a fill in (no disrespect) but he isn't left footed nor has the pace (neither does Neill) and we were fortunate indeed that the injury "bug" didn't strike McCartney. Although I DO think that playing EVERY game last year took it's toll and he wasn't half near as effective at the end of term as he was at the front end.
mv99

Post by mv99 »

Fair enough mate, your opinion, I prefer to deal with it by not cheering or booing
he may be wearing our shirt but he's not our player yet, we had to boo him to show curbs we don't want him, not only because he nearly killed pedro mendez but because he is a 32 year-old who couldn't get into the charlton team.

btw anyone remember the 'do spurs have more ambition than us?' thread - some people on here said no and yet they buy modric dos santos bentley, possibly arshavin and corluka and then we trial thatcher?!?!?
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1291 likes

Post by davids cross »

mv99 wrote:
I personally understand the football reason for getting him on a short contract as cover for Linda. I wouldn't boo him because he's **** I would boo him because of his history, it's an important difference.
viperracer

Post by viperracer »

I'm disappointed Curbs is even looking at Thatcher at all. We were fortunate last year that George McCartney had a good season. To have right-footers in Neill and Spector as cover was risky. Now we have an opportunity in the transfer window to provide cover in this area we're not taking it.

Surely with our connections, we should be able to find a left footed fullback/wing back/defensive left midfielder who could do a job there. If its experience Curbs is after we have a history of getting decent players for this position (Pearce/Winterburn/Hughton) and provide competition for McCartney not just a distant back-up!
BubbleBoy

Post by BubbleBoy »

Charlton released him, Ipswich and Wolves have had a look and said no.
There MUST be better options available.

I'm not usually one for giving our own players aggro but I might change my mind on this one if we sign him.
Absolute thug of a player, who is a liability and has very little talent.
Even if we are desperate for the first few games, give Widdowson a go and offer him plenty of cover, or play Neill at LB.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

ive just about come to terms with the thug, and in my view, over the hill lee bowyer being given a second chance to wear a west ham shirt....

and i'll bide my time on the frankly over-rated and injury prone bellamy and dyer duo

ben thatcher is taking the ****ing piss... so we're short of a left back? go buy a a decent replacement you useless bunch of c****...what are we going to do if ringo doesnt come back soon., or is in-and-out all season like most of our players? what with 'turn like a steamroller' neill on one side and a ****ing ex Spurs and p**** not good enough for championship player on the other-- it could be over by november.

I wont have it that we should never boo a west ham player.

on principle grounds alone(i.e. he's one of the worse thugs in the game, let alone the fact that he's played for those fountains of *****, he shouldnt even be let in the ground- oh, and he's ****ing useless

all the curbs fan say ' hes west ham' - bollox if curbs was even 50% west ham he'd not even think about it, let alone put the guilt in our direction

this is classic' he'll do a job' charlton-speak

slowly but surely, whats special about this club gets washed down the pan... Headbanger
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Let's wait and see if he signs before we over-react.
PaoloD
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by PaoloD »

w4hammer wrote: this is classic' he'll do a job' charlton-speak
Unfortunately, I think you are bang right.
BLT319

Post by BLT319 »

i guess well find out tomorrow if well be signing him,

"BEN Thatcher has been given until lunchtime Tuesday to make his mind up on an offer from Ipswich Town."

hopefully he takes it
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1077 likes
Total likes: 1381 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Let's wait and see if he signs before we over-react.
That sounds too reasonable mate... people overreact when they read a snippet on football rumours, why are they not going act any differently when they actually see a player in claret and blue?

Personally, I dont like thatcher... I dont think he is a very good player (hence i voted no)... but I can understand why the club are keeping their options open to a cheap alternative if needed. It doesnt make sense for the club to go out and spend money on a left back (maybe someone who can play left back and left midfield)... McCartney is our number 1 and has been rewarded with a new contract, so that implies the club have alot of faith in him... why spend money on someone better or not as good?

Saying that, the club have had Thatcher in 2 friendlies and not signed him yet (if they were really eager to get the deal done i am sure it would have got done by now)... this indicates to me that they are leaving it as long as possible before making the decision... probably because they dont want to make the wrong decision either way they go
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Fionn Kiely wrote:Let's wait and see if he signs before we over-react.

Well we are all booing and making these posts so that it doesnt get that far :lol: it will be terrible if he signs.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

BLT319 wrote:i guess well find out tomorrow if well be signing him,

"BEN Thatcher has been given until lunchtime Tuesday to make his mind up on an offer from Ipswich Town."

hopefully he takes it
lets all say a little prayer before we go to bed :lol:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

PaoloD wrote:
Thatcher is a very average player whose star is borne solely down to his acts of violence
You could replace Thatcher with Dicks in that statement IMO.
rosecityhammer

Post by rosecityhammer »

BLT319 wrote:i guess well find out tomorrow if well be signing him,

hopefully he takes it
http://wwww.clubfanzine.com/ipswich_tow ... p?id=13078 More on this here....
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Post by The Gibbins »

I dont care what the situation is, Curbishley is well out of touch if he cant understand why Thatcher is being booed.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

A thought hit me today

If we are so in need of left back cover untill Linda is fit again......... why dont we just sign someone on loan, rather then a fixed contract for low quality dross like Thatcher?