Alan Curbishley: the poll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Alan Curbishley:

Back him
85%
Sack him
15%

Total votes: 536

leeo272

Re: Alan Curbishley: the poll

Post by leeo272 »

I think an important thing to note here is that this is not a poll of West Ham fans per se, but a vote of KUMB users.

Of 33,000 West Ham fans at the Boleyn for any home fixture I think it'd be a liberal guess that 5-10% of those are the type of person who regularly posts on an internet message board, never mind just this one.

Although I cherish this site and spend far too much time here, one thing that's obvious is that the general opinion on here isn't a fair reflection of opinion inside the ground and surrounding pubs and cars after most games (especially away from home).

Curbishley has done everything asked of him but he has done it in a way I hate. The three 4-0's last year were a real low point in my time following West Ham, especially Liverpool. Coming so quickly after what happened against Chelsea at home we travelled to Anfield knowing that there was no way it could be that bad again. What proceeded was my worst experience watching West Ham. We stood there almost unbelieving of what we were seeing, our team spent half an hour attempting to hold on to a 1-0 defecit ending in obvious failure as they caved in again (but not for the last time that week), jogging along while Liverpool scored as many as they felt they could be bothered to. Anger was the minimum felt by any West Ham supporter there that night, but wasn't the response of a huge majority on here. 'Look at the table!' some cried. 'Remember where we were this time last year!' others shrieked. But that wasn't the point and, for most people at the games, never will be.

Curbishley has been treated appallingly and the behaviour of the board continues to be an embarrassment to us all. It is a ridiculous way to run a football club and one I hope comes to an end as soon as possible. But that doesn't excuse what has already happened on the pitch. No amount of flattering 4-1 home wins will ever make up for the ennui Curbishley and Day forced upon me last season whatever the excuses at the time. This was worsened by their consistant shrug-of-the-shoulders what-more-do-you-want attitude. My wish to see Curbishley's spell as manager come to an end will not be receeded by worse conduct than his by the board, however bad it gets. They are seperate issues and need to be recognised as such.

Sacked I'm afraid.
Last edited by leeo272 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1041 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Thinking about who and what Chalks and others would like as a manager and thinking who are the reasonable/obvious passionate replacements...I would guess we would be linked with the usual -
Billic
Brooking
Harry
Martin Allen
Devonshire
Dicks
Di Canio
Vialli
Ince :lol:
Keegan
Alladyce
Souness
Dalglish
Venables
Graham
Roeder
Pardew
Hoddle??? ha ha ha
Coleman
+ foreigners know one knows!
JohnLyall
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by JohnLyall »

I think he is a very good manager. However, signings SHOULD be left to someone else. Let's see how Nani's signings do.
Hammer Sandwich

Post by Hammer Sandwich »

Sack him NOW , before it's too late !.......................Remember Roeder ! Headbanger
Faded & Dead

Post by Faded & Dead »

carnage wrote:Sack him.

Heart wont be in the job now if the stories in the press are to be believed. We cant have that filtering through to the team.

Get rid. Even though he appears to have been treated poorly.
There's a real possibilty that this could happen, it's a very good point. However, a rousing "oooohh Alan Alan, Alan Alan Alan Alan Curbishley" from us would surely give the man heart, may be naive but that's my belief.

I also take on board the comments re negative tactics but I'm prepared to wait for a fit Dyer & Bellamy before completely endorsing that judgement - One of my favourite games last year was Brum away... (I do however accept that nirvana may come sooner than a fit squad)

Anyway, right now it's a thumbs up for Curbs from me.
RUNWELL RAY

Post by RUNWELL RAY »

I voted 'back him'. I am one of the old school that is proud of our record of having the fewest managers in the clubs history..
If Curbs was sacked there is no guarantee that Billic would take the job. If he did not who else could we turn to.

Give Curbs to the end of the season. In the 2 home league games so far I think we have played better football than last season.
Finally with the transfer window closed a new manager would not be able to bring any players in, if the board would alllow it.

I think BG should come out & state the financial state of the club and the boards plans for the future.
It is the board not Curbs that should be feeling the pressure.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Hammer Sandwich wrote:Sack him NOW , before it's too late !.......................Remember Roeder ! Headbanger
Yeah I remember Roeder, nothing like Curbishly. Headbanger
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Back him
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 4396 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

He deserves to make it up until the next window certainly.

He's got his players fit......lets see them play....

If they turn out to be mustard.....then give him some money to buy some more....

If they don't, or they end up back on the sick bed........ well, he cant really argue about the chairman withholding the money.... and any consequences of that........
The Bob

Post by The Bob »

Backing him.

Not happy with the football played for the majority of games in 2008 but sacking him makes no sense. We haven't got a pot to piss in and I doubt Bilic would really fancy it. We would end up with some cheap foreigner in the Jan Poortvliet mould who knows nothing about West Ham and will have less of a chance of keeping us in a comfortable position than Curbs.

Curbs, for all is faults, is a PROVEN quality Premier League manager who knows how to keep teams in the league and knows how to finish comfortably in mid table. He is West Ham through and through and cares more about the club than any director/chairman and probable future manager. If he can just give us a bit of style once everyone is fit, he would be the perfect fit.
FinchleyHammer

Post by FinchleyHammer »

Back Him ! Although I just wish he was a bit more adventurous.

Why can't we have at least one fast player on the half-way line when we have a corner against us ??? This would almost certainly bring back at least two defenders away from our area, instead there are 21 players in or around our goal with no outlet if we gain control !
Sort it out Alan ...............please !!!
Having said that, Ince adopted the same tactics against us on Saturday.......must be fashionable.
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Faded & Dead wrote: There's a real possibilty that this could happen, it's a very good point. However, a rousing "oooohh Alan Alan, Alan Alan Alan Alan Curbishley" from us would surely give the man heart, may be naive but that's my belief.

I also take on board the comments re negative tactics but I'm prepared to wait for a fit Dyer & Bellamy before completely endorsing that judgement - One of my favourite games last year was Brum away... (I do however accept that nirvana may come sooner than a fit squad)

Anyway, right now it's a thumbs up for Curbs from me.
Me too :thup:

I also have accused him of playing safe and using negative tactics, but I'm also aware he has been severly limited in the way he can set the team up due to the injuries to most of the players we have that would offer more positive attacking options. I too am reserving judgement somewhat until I see how he intends to get the best out of such players (and the team with them in it)

I do feel a certain amount of sympathy for Curbs, as it has hardly been a smooth ride. The typical West Ham rollercoaster more like. But sympathy can play no part in such judgements, and hasn't in me voting to back him

Firstly, it is just about the worst possible time to change manager. What we need is a spell of stability, not more turmoil. I also feel Curbs hasn't really had the chance to show what he can do with all options available to him. I always say you judge a player when they are on form, then see how consistantly they reach that form. Same with the manager. It's tough to judge him when he hasn't had the chance to play his best team (or even something like it)

But I feel this season is make or break time for Curbs. As such, I'd like to see him given as much support as we can muster. With the full backing of the fans, and with most of his attacking options coming back, if he doesn't step up to the mark, so be it. At least we'll know that his very best is not good enough. But if he does step up to the mark, and his attacking options come to fruition, then who knows how far he could take us

He deserves the chance to show us, one way or another, and in that time I feel we should give him our full support
mattyD
Has liked: 319 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by mattyD »

well put UTJ

I don't think anyone would have done a better job under the circumstances with the same resources. :thup:
Tin Hat
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Tin Hat »

He has resigned SSN now.
Coley
g33k h4mm3r

Post by Coley »

****ing hell, bad news if you ask me. Got royally shafted and one of our own
SUSSEXIRONS

Post by SUSSEXIRONS »

mattyD wrote:well put UTJ

I don't think anyone would have done a better job under the circumstances with the same resources. :thup:
Hold on there - wasnt he the one that bought these resources in - a whole bunch of injury prone players. Ive watched this club since the age of 5 and im 62 now so seen plenty of rollercoasters over the years, but this debacle takes the biscuit. As one of the 12% that voted him out, my stance still hasnt changed.
SUSSEXIRONS

Post by SUSSEXIRONS »

just heard from a villian - post on their website says curbs has resigned
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Back Him!!!!

What?

Doh!
Kent Bubble Blower

Post by Kent Bubble Blower »

Well, that kind of solves this little dilemma!
SUSSEXIRONS

Post by SUSSEXIRONS »

curbs resigned story just broke on bbc webside as well with more to follow - this follows statement put out by the board on whufc site