good old days..

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Iron-worx

Re: good old days..

Post by Iron-worx »

cockney hammer wrote:Image
clyde best
Was that the game when Bobby Ferguson got knocked out by Tommy Taylor ? and it was about ten minutes before they could restart
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Was that the game when Bobby Ferguson got knocked out by Tommy Taylor ? and it was about ten minutes before they could restart

do not know mate i am far to young to remember
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

cockney hammer wrote:do not know mate i am far to young to remember
And I'm too old to remember lol

Ferguson went over one of our defenders backs and came down head first, doctors on and ages before it restarted. I remember thinking f*** me this is serious. I cannot remember the opposition or who went in goal though for the life of me
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

I was right... Watford Hammer remembers it better than I do in another thread....

Re: Clyde Best on Talksport after 12pm

New postby Watford Hammer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:25 pm
Yes I do. If I remember rightly Ferguson came out to collect a high through ball and went over one of our defenders - not sure who and he just landed smack on the back of his neck. The ground went silent and he just lay there and we all though he had beroken his neck.
The ball bounced loose and a Leeds striker (Mick Jones?) tried to score but another defender cleared it off the line. I don't think the whistle went until the ball went out of play.
There was a really long delay and Bobby was stretchered off and being the days before the internet no-one knew how he was for several days afterwards.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

i stand to be corrected but did ferguson not get injured against stoke city sure they gave a shout for his dad to go to the dressing room :think:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

Iron-worx wrote: [Which reminds me that one of the Thames Ironworks FC kits has drifted on Historical Kits again, I mailed them about it a couple of weeks back but haven't heard anything back yet and it's still as was on the site. I'll give it a while longer then mail again. It's amazing how the record drifts, I'll wager that there's many kits on there from the early days that didn't exist. The one they've got listed 1897-99 did exist but only the goalkeeper wore the red sash shown, it was to differentiate him from the rest of the team in the days before keepers jerseys. I wonder if we should put together a KUMB archive ?
I think UTJ is aiming to do something similar, starting with scanning all our programmes online.
I think we should you know.
I would also like to see a report of every single game we have ever played, that will take some work though.
Westham stats have them going back a few years but there are huge gaps.
mushy

Post by mushy »

cockney hammer wrote:i stand to be corrected but did ferguson not get injured against stoke city sure they gave a shout for his dad to go to the dressing room :think:
Yes, that was the league cup second replay.
Clyde was meant to go in goal but the occasion got to him.
Clyde went in goal when Fergie was injured in the Leeds match(I think).
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

mushy wrote: I think UTJ is aiming to do something similar, starting with scanning all our programmes online.
I think we should you know.
I would also like to see a report of every single game we have ever played, that will take some work though.
Westham stats have them going back a few years but there are huge gaps.
It shouldn't be too difficult to catalogue the kits, Historical Kits and a few other sites have basically already done it. It would be a case of using one of their compilations and throwing it open for people here to challenge it with evidence that a certain kits wrong and should be removed, or with evidence for a kit that's not there which should be included....

The beauty of it would be that we would have control of it so it wouldn't drift, I'm always contacting Historical Kits where somethings drifted. Anything taken out would need to be proven wrong with good evidence and anything added would also need good evidence...

Unlike the early stuff that we struggled with there are colour photo's of later stuff so most of it is straightforward and not arguable....

It would need somebody good with graphics though like the guy who does the header to CHs daily news thread, somebody who could produce graphics of the kits...

I wonder what the boss might think ?
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

get xander on the job he does my banners :thup:
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

mushy wrote: Yes, that was the league cup second replay.
Clyde was meant to go in goal but the occasion got to him.
Clyde went in goal when Fergie was injured in the Leeds match(I think).
The Stoke replay was when Bobby Moore went in goal, saved the penalty but it was put in on the rebound. I remember that quite clearly. I should remember the game when Ferguson was knocked out by one of our defenders but I only remember the incident, not the opposition or who went in goal. The Boleyn went eerily silent, people thought he'd broken his neck or worse....
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

cockney hammer wrote:get xander on the job he does my banners
And a good job he does too :clap:
poplargeezer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by poplargeezer »

[

Ferguson went over one of our defenders backs and came down head first, doctors on and ages before it restarted. I remember thinking **** me this is serious. I cannot remember the opposition or who went in goal though for the life of me[/quote]

Are you thinking of the Leeds game where Ferguson made the most ugliest of landings and looked like he had broke his neck, but the dirty Leeds players under Don Revie kept playing on. They wondered why everyone hated them!
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

tthis game i remember bobby ferguson geting injured was a league game against stoke :think: at upton park
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

poplargeezer wrote:Are you thinking of the Leeds game where Ferguson made the most ugliest of landings and looked like he had broke his neck, but the dirty Leeds players under Don Revie kept playing on. They wondered why everyone hated them!
I think it must be as you're the second bloke to say Leeds and it's Leeds in the photo of Clyde Best in goal.
mushy

Post by mushy »

cockney hammer wrote:tthis game i remember bobby ferguson geting injured was a league game against stoke :think: at upton park
CH.
Like myself I think your memory maybe failing.
Its the start of a rocky road.
mushy

Post by mushy »

Iron-worx wrote: It shouldn't be too difficult to catalogue the kits, Historical Kits and a few other sites have basically already done it. It would be a case of using one of their compilations and throwing it open for people here to challenge it with evidence that a certain kits wrong and should be removed, or with evidence for a kit that's not there which should be included....

The beauty of it would be that we would have control of it so it wouldn't drift, I'm always contacting Historical Kits where somethings drifted. Anything taken out would need to be proven wrong with good evidence and anything added would also need good evidence...

Unlike the early stuff that we struggled with there are colour photo's of later stuff so most of it is straightforward and not arguable....

It would need somebody good with graphics though like the guy who does the header to CHs daily news thread, somebody who could produce graphics of the kits...

I wonder what the boss might think ?
Is there not a kits section already on here?
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert

Post by cockney hammer »

CH.
Like myself I think your memory maybe failing.
Its the start of a rocky road.

lol mate i think you are right :thup:
towner

Post by towner »

cockney hammer wrote:tthis game i remember bobby ferguson geting injured was a league game against stoke :think: at upton park
He got injured against Stoke at Old Trafford mate when bobby moore went in goal,i'm pretty certain he got a clattering during the leeds game at the Boleyn in 78 when it looked like he'd broken his neck,interestingly it was Derek Hales last game for us.
Remo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Remo »

April 73
the oldham stripper
Duke Nuke 'em
Location: for 25 years I've lived with fear. i sometimes wish I'd never met her

Post by the oldham stripper »

towner wrote:

He got injured against Stoke at Old Trafford mate when bobby moore went in goal,i'm pretty certain he got a clattering during the leeds game at the Boleyn in 78 when it looked like he'd broken his neck,interestingly it was Derek Hales last game for us.[/quote]

thank f**k :lol: