James Collins or James Tomkins ? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Central defence v Sunderland...

James Collins/Matthew Upson
48%
James Tomkins/Matthew Upson
39%
James Collins/James Tomkins
10%
None of the above
3%

Total votes: 311

wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: James Collins or James Tomkins ? [POLL]

Post by wizzo_66 »

FWIW I think Reid was the weak link on Saturday. Didn't commit well enough for Stoke's second goal.

Generally was caught out of position with Tomkins covering, distribution poor, spent the game walking, when in possession he slowed us down far too often and for too long.

Not knocking him generally as when 100% fit he's been one of our best players.

I have my doubts that Collins may have prevented the first goal. The real issue is that we didn't use Carroll to mark him for that corner and stick Diame on the front post.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5672 likes
Total likes: 3089 likes

Post by MB »

WestHamIFC wrote:Stoke's 1st goal would not have happened if Collins was marking Crouch rather than Tomkins.
That is a very definitive statement for a "what if".

It was a good corner which hung up on the wind and I think most centre halves would have been caught out like Tomkins was (not his fault, purely down to the flight of the ball IMO). Adrian should have been stronger on the second ball rather than falling over from a gentle nudge.

Are you suggesting that Collins would have anticipated the ball being held up on the wind or that he would have put more of a challenge on Crouch?

To my mind it is one of those soft goals which look bad, but actually the defence did not do a whole lot wrong.

The second was a poor almost bottled challenge from Reid (who is clearly not match fit) and the third was a break away when we'd thrown players forward.

Collins is the best defender at the club, but his poor distribution will stop the club progressing (IMO). I imagine that is why Villa let him go when they did.

As I said a couple of pages back, i'll accept the odd soft goal from Reid/Tomkins if that is the price we pay for having centre halves who can win the ball and quickly find Noble with a 10/15 yard pass along the floor.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

MB wrote:..he would have put more of a challenge on Crouch
This.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

With our lack of a passing midfield Collins'clearances are probably an essential part of our system. Gives the defense time to regroup.We often lose possession? Sure but we would anyway...

No cornerphobia for me when he is playing..

My H.O.Y

Tomkins has probably improved sufficiently in Reid's absence to merit keeping his place alongside J.C.
MB

Post by MB »

WestHamIFC wrote:
This.
Fair enough. I think the flight of the ball makes it a soft challenge by Tomkins because he is out of position, but cannot argue that Collins would have played the man more. I'm just not sure it would have made that much difference but I can see both views.
MB

Post by MB »

irving boleyn wrote:With our lack of a passing midfield Collins'clearances are probably an essential part of our system. Gives the defense time to regroup.We often lose possession? Sure but we would anyway...
I agree that our backs to the wall approach calls for that kind of play (rightly or wrongly) but I guess the difference for me is that he rarely evens looks for the simple pass. Reid and Tomkins are hardly Italian centre halves and do their fair share of pumps up field but they at least look for the simple ball first.