James Collins or James Tomkins ? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Central defence v Sunderland...

James Collins/Matthew Upson
48%
James Tomkins/Matthew Upson
39%
James Collins/James Tomkins
10%
None of the above
3%

Total votes: 311

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Re: James Collins or James Tomkins ? [POLL]

Post by the pink palermo »

davids cross wrote: I loved Robbie Slater for about 3 months after he signed.
I couldn't be more shocked if you informed fellow Kumbers you were into same sex marriage and cross dressing at the weekend . :lol:

This thread is so old several of the contributors have possibly passed away .....Tel, Hugh , Big Russ, all MIA.
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 675 likes
Total likes: 1328 likes

Post by davids cross »

the pink palermo wrote: This thread is so old several of the contributors have possibly passed away ......
At this moment in time Pink, I'm rather sad you're not one of them...... :lol:
EastLondonHammer

Post by EastLondonHammer »

Both have been immense.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

I think this article is disrespectful

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ities.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham – James Tomkins
Concentration lapses continue to plague the academy graduate’s game and he has struggled amid West Ham’s woes this season. Winston Reid and James Collins have both suffered injuries this year but Tomkins has, on occasion, proved an unable deputy.

really? do they watch actual football
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

mumbles87 wrote:I think this article is disrespectful

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ities.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham – James Tomkins
Concentration lapses continue to plague the academy graduate’s game and he has struggled amid West Ham’s woes this season. Winston Reid and James Collins have both suffered injuries this year but Tomkins has, on occasion, proved an unable deputy.

I wondered where Bobby Orangeboom had gone.
AndyCarrollsBarber

Post by AndyCarrollsBarber »

I like their partnership, but I don't trust Tomkins to play with anyone else next to him. He needs a leader to tell him what to do.
sosc67

Post by sosc67 »

If we hold onto Reid i think a reid/tomkins partnership we do us can only see improvement coming with more experience.
Coledinho

Post by Coledinho »

mumbles87 wrote:I think this article is disrespectful

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ities.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

West Ham – James Tomkins

That is legit the worst article I have ever seen. How the f*** is a guy (Kone) with a torn ACL a weak link you dirty dog?
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

sosc67 wrote:If we hold onto Reid i think a reid/tomkins partnership we do us can only see improvement coming with more experience.
Yep, I agree. Going forward into next season I'm sure that will be the preferred partnership. But there's no way I can see Allardyce even thinking of dropping Collins during a relegation battle while he is in this form. Just look how much better we've been since he has returned to the side. He has been outstanding

I love the fact that Tomkins and Collins are absolutely fighting every minute to keep their starting place. You can see in their performances how badly neither want to give their spot up to Winston. Fair play to the both of them. Those two and Adrian have been unbelievably good lately and as a result we've kept 4 clean sheets and climbed half way up the table
Coledinho

Post by Coledinho »

My answer to the situation is to switch and change depending on opponent

Backs to the wall against top 4 - Collins + Reid. Pack the midfield, force them into crosses, get the two best headers in the centre
Games against bottom 5 teams - Tomkins + Reid. A better passing and more athletic duo who can help more in a attacking sense and also will handle the counter attack better.
Teams with a big hold up striker - Reids + Collins
Teams with a big man + small man - Tomkins + Collins

The best managers in the world wouldnt choose between the three. They would find a way to utilise all 3
westhamburgerking

Post by westhamburgerking »

A bit disrespectful to that Roger Whatshisname.
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

You all need to get out more ...

absolutely ridiculous -- pure mental masturbation. Enjoy the run.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

sosc67 wrote:If we hold onto Reid i think a reid/tomkins partnership we do us can only see improvement coming with more experience.
MOyes will be in with big bucks for Reid in the summer. Or Wenger. :cry:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

westhamburgerking wrote:A bit disrespectful to that Roger Whatshisname.
Dont want this bloke anywhere near our squad. League 2 defender. :thdn:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 948 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

westham,eggyandchips wrote: Dont want this bloke anywhere near our squad. League 2 defender. :thdn:
I dont mind him playing so long as he has one of our 3 main boys next to him. If push comes to shove id rather him play than Diarra or george there

at least he is a CB
whu92

Post by whu92 »

It may be a controversial idea but there has been a strong argument recently saying that noble has come into his own with a defensive minded partner in centre MF as opposed to for e.g. Mo Diame. With the two James' at CB Reid would be a fantastic shield in front of them. along side Noble allowing Mark to move up to run the midfield around the centre circle when we're moving forward. Certainly worth trying against the teams at the top of he table. It seems unfair to drop JT or JC after so many clean sheet and it is criminal having one of our best players on the bench if fit.
As an aside, Tomkins is naturally a right sided CB and many are only comfortable on their favoured side, but it really looks as if he is putting in a lot of work on his left foot with some decent link up play, blocks and clearances with his left when needed.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

I'm usually generally supportive of BFS, but I thought it was an appalling decision to drop Ginger Pele @ Stoke.

Crouch completely 'owned' Tomkins for the goal which was eventually accredited to Odemwingie. Would he have 'owned' Collins in the same way?

Seriously - we're playing the tallest striker in the league (bar Traore), and he drops Collins, our best aerial defender?? Mental.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Depends on the team we're playing.
robb

Post by robb »

I actually think that James T plays a slightly different role to James C. imo Tomkins plays much more of a sweeper role behind JC/WR and you will often see him covering the full backs when they are further up the pitch. Perhaps this poll should be more about JC or WR ?
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

There's a tendency to over- or under-analyse the CBs depending on the result. I'd be wary of reading too much into individual's suitability unless a trend of making mistakes develops.

The only real difference between this weekend's performance and the Norwich and Chelsea games (in particular) was that this time Adrian didn't keep out some saveable shots of the type that he did in the those games. There were errors in those games that simply went unpunished and were consequently forgotten about due to the result.

If Tomkins gets repeatedly done at a corner in the next few games that's the time to worry, not from a one-off. And Reid quite simply hadn't started a game for 5 months - if he plays like that again I'd be amazed