Goal of the noughties [POLL]

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Goal of the Noughties (select three)

2008/09 Carlton Cole v Wigan (a)
13%
2007/08 Dean Ashton v Man Utd (a)
2%
2006/07 Mark Noble v Bolton (h)
3%
2005/06 Anton Ferdinand v Fulham (h)
3%
2004/05 Bobby Zamora v Ipswich (a)
8%
2003/04 Jon Harley v Sh*ffield Utd (a)
1%
2002/03 Paolo Di Canio v Chelsea (a)
16%
2001/02 Trevor Sinclair v Derby (h)
9%
2000/01 Paolo Di Canio v Manchester United (a)
3%
1999/00 Paolo Di Canio v Wimbledon (h)
43%

Total votes: 359

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: Goal of the noughties [POLL]

Post by Up the Junction »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:If Bellamy was still at West Ham the Newcastle Away Goal would have strongly rivalled the Wigan Cole Goal this Year & should have made this list ...
:thup:
Mayday
Has liked: 134 likes
Total likes: 282 likes

Post by Mayday »

Polls like this annoy me.

Football is a team game and the perfect goal should be created by the whole team culminating in brilliance.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate individual goals of quality as much as the next man but creating as a team is what it should be all about.

We see brilliant individual goals week in, week out which in itself demeans any impact they have.

If this, rightly so, is unanimously considered the greatest goal of all time:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Then I put it to you that this is up there with it:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is the best WHU goal I have ever seen. Six perfect passes culminating in one perfect finish. If that was scored by one of the top four or by more fasionable players the media would still be eulogizing about it now.

Of the rest on offer (there are several others that should definitely be there) I consider Di Canio vs Wimbledon and Zamora vs Ipswich to complete my three. Great individual goals which at least had a couple of good passes before them.

I remember being speechless when watching the Di Canio goal. His second best goal for us was the lob over Keown and right foot finish against Arsenal. Again we were the victim of being unfasionable. Bergkamp's almost identical goal is widely considered one of the best ever by the media yet Di Canio done the same aginst a better defender than Bergkamp did.
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:If Bellamy was still at West Ham the Newcastle Away Goal would have strongly rivalled the Wigan Cole Goal this Year
I can see where you're coming from, but even though we kept possession for longer, the Wigan goal is absolutely miles ahead in terms of economy of movement and passing. Parker aside, it's all one-touch football. Seven touches (including a perfect backheel) and it's in the net. Whereas with the Bellamy goal everyone's taking their time on the ball, there are a couple of stumbles and the finish itself whilst neat was pretty easy.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: I can see where you're coming from, but even though we kept possession for longer, the Wigan goal is absolutely miles ahead in terms of economy of movement and passing. Parker aside, it's all one-touch football. Seven touches (including a perfect backheel) and it's in the net. Whereas with the Bellamy goal everyone's taking their time on the ball, there are a couple of stumbles and the finish itself whilst neat was pretty easy.
I'm a big Fan of that Bellamy Goal but the Cole Goal is better you're rigtht, & it's my choice to won our Goal of the decade which is a pretty big thing in my book.. :thup:
IIIronss

Post by IIIronss »

Stanislas goal this year should have had 2nd place, quality throw out, Boa's surging run, Di Michele's touch of class (one of the best passes this year) before Boa gets it back, then gives it to Junior on a plate.

One goal to the other in 13 seconds. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0OFwvDAmGg

Proof at 4.10 :wink:
Antnee

Post by Antnee »

I loved that Zamora goal in 2005 against Birmingham. Never really gets talked about much though
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

1999/00 Paolo Di Canio v Wimbledon (h) :thup:
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Mayday wrote:Football is a team game and the perfect goal should be created by the whole team culminating in brilliance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R_iYLca2gc

That argentinian goal against the serbs was a brilliant goal as well.

For me the Di Canio goal against chelsea stands out. I still remember seeing that goal - it was magical - and the little touch with his right foot - arrogant, simple, brilliant - and the Mamma mia, Mamma mia to top it off :D
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

PDC's goal v Wimbledon for me.

99 times of 100 I would plump for the swift passing move team goal that rarely wins awards.However, every time I think that I then see the DiCanio Wimbledon goal which reminds me that it's a team game in which moments of individual brilliance can still shine through. The thing I always remember was the big screen replay and the slow motion angle of the view from behind the goal - which was the moment when most of the ground realised just how special that goal was.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Di Canio's goal against Wimbledon is sheer genius and athleticism combined . Both his feet are completely off the ground when he scores that goal .

I also loved the Harewood goal against Man Utd for it's sheer simplicity and execution . Pity we lost . :(
Bobby Orangeboom

Hambrosia Stu wrote: This one?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'tis a cracker alright!
That's not the Winner at Chelsea, i['ve looked for the Winner at Chelsea for ages on youtube etc & can't find but remember it as clear as day & that's not it...

But i agree with Sicknot saying it is a better Goal & a winner against Chels, same as the other one at Home..

100% that youtube link was not the winner at Chelsea that Year..
SenzaPaura

Post by SenzaPaura »

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:If Bellamy was still at West Ham the Newcastle Away Goal would have strongly rivalled the Wigan Cole Goal this Year & should have made this list but he isn't & it isn't so Cole win this for me too with PDC Chelsea & the bartez Goal comin g second & third for sheer euphoria !! :raver:
I know what your saying but don't really agree. The Collison goal against Everton was a great counter-attacking passing move too but rarely gets mentioned in this polls I notice.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's my personal favourite though. From the kick-off, Zamora plays it first time through the defenders legs and Benayoun, on his weaker foot from 18 yards chips poor old Lastuvka. I was there, think it was either my birthday or a day after it (just seen the date of the video, must of been at least a week before :lol:).
Bobby Orangeboom

Bill Grant wrote:I know what your saying but don't really agree. The Collison goal against Everton was a great counter-attacking passing move too but rarely gets mentioned in this polls I notice.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's my personal favourite though. From the kick-off, Zamora plays it first time through the defenders legs and Benayoun, on his weaker foot from 18 yards chips poor old Lastuvka. I was there, think it was either my birthday or a day after it (just seen the date of the video, must of been at least a week before :lol:).
That was my 3rd in the Seasons GOTS, behind Cole & Bellamy's.. :wink:

Also loved Noble's at Blackburn, another great Team Goal.. :thup:
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Mayday wrote:Polls like this annoy me.

Football is a team game and the perfect goal should be created by the whole team culminating in brilliance.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate individual goals of quality as much as the next man but creating as a team is what it should be all about.

We see brilliant individual goals week in, week out which in itself demeans any impact they have.
Well don't bloody vote then! :wink:

Or better still, stop whinging and vote for Cole's against Wigan :wink:
That was an excellent team move. Cole's finish was very good, but it was the team play in the build up that made it special

I do know what you're saying though, and kind of agree. All too often you see a goal that if anything is a speculative effort, that the player catches perfectly (as he would maybe one in twenty attempts), it flies in the corner and everyone creams themselves. Especially if that player plays for one of the top 4, it's then guaranteed to win GOTM on MOTD. Whereas all too often a brilliant team goal, which relies on many players playing the ball perfectly, gets overlooked becuase the finish isn't spectacular. That's because the team play in the build up has torn the opposition to pieces, meaning the player who actually scores has a relatively easy finish. The goal Stanislas scored when LBM rolled the ball across the box for him being a good example, of an excellent goal where the scoring touch is the least impressive part
Fionn

Post by Fionn »

Di Canio's pair against Chelsea and Wimbledon along with Cole's recent effort for me. One tends to forget how brilliant Di Canio could be on his day.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Jon Harley's got a vote :raver:
Bobby Orangeboom

Up the Junction wrote:Jon Harley's got a vote :raver:
Any youtube for it ??

& any youtube for Di Canio's winner at SB, not the one that is in this Poll, i mean the actual winner where he skins their Right Back about 3 times, similar to the Goal he scored for Napoli against AC ?
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

The build up and execution of Zamora's goal v Ipswich is the best I've seen for a long, long time.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Antnee wrote:I loved that Zamora goal in 2005 against Birmingham. Never really gets talked about much though
No, nor his great half volley v Sheffield Weds in the Carling Cup. If he'd been Brazilian or an "Top 4 " player the media would have been all over them.
saludo de carlitos

Post by saludo de carlitos »

I think Benayoun's goal v Fulham should be there.