Grant and the Yom Kippur absence [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Avram Grant & Tal Ben Haim: should they be granted permission to miss the Stoke game?

Yes
64%
No
31%
Undecided
5%

Total votes: 519

Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1507 likes

Re: Grant and the Yom Kippur absence [POLL]

Post by Turns to Stone »

SL wrote:
If not being tollerant and respectful of the beliefs of kiddy fiddlers, rapists, murderers (and the like) makes me a bigot then im extremely proud to be known as a bigot.
Is he taking Saturday off to celebrate some sort of festival of paeodophilia? If so, then I need to tell a mod that I want to change my vote in the poll (he really should be doing that sort of thing in his own time!)

Seriously though, tolerance isn't easy, particularly when we read articles about dodgy vicars and money-laundering priests etc. But what you're saying is quite a leap from Avram Grant not being at Stoke. He has been brought up to believe in something and that's part of who he is, it's as important to him as anything in any of our lives. You're belittling Grant's beliefs by saying that he should forget about them for one day because of his job. Just because religion may not be a priority in your life, doesn't mean that it isn't in Avram Grant's life, and in the grand scheme of things, I would be pretty let down by him if he did put West Ham (a club that has featured in his life for about 3 months) over something that he has worshipped all his life and he has been passed onto him by his parents!

Or were you just insinuating that any connection whatsoever to organised religion means that you're a "kiddy fiddlers, rapists, murderers etc"?
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Turns to Stone wrote:But what you're saying is quite a leap from Avram Grant not being at Stoke.
To be fair to SL it's Sloop's fault for widening the net that started with showing 'respect' to religious beliefs (I personally don't think this is either necessary nor entirely desirable, although I certainly don't go out of my way to upset anyone who's religious) to being intolerant, and from there bigoted, racist, etc. Leading the discussion in this direction is only going to lead to one thing, which is an absurd dead end.

Everyone needs to have a nice cup of tea and relax.
wayneo1974

Post by wayneo1974 »

Put yourselves in Grants shoes, If you are religious or not.

you get a day off work on a saturday, thats gotta be a good thing, i mean, who wants to work on a saturday anyway.
he can do anything, visit hookers, watch a chelsea match, catch up on his CSI, i mean they broadcast 3 a week, its hard to stay on top of them
SL

Post by SL »

QuintonNimoy wrote:To be fair to SL it's Sloop's fault for widening the net that started with showing 'respect' to religious beliefs (I personally don't think this is either necessary nor entirely desirable, although I certainly don't go out of my way to upset anyone who's religious) to being intolerant, and from there bigoted, racist, etc. Leading the discussion in this direction is only going to lead to one thing, which is an absurd dead end.

Everyone needs to have a nice cup of tea and relax.
:thup:

Well said that man.

Its annoying and frustrating when a "sideshow" develops in a thread. One of the reasons I dont post as often as i used to actually.
hammerjohn

Post by hammerjohn »

His faith is obviously a major part of his life, whatever happens on Saturday, it's the 11 men on the pitch who will have a much more vital role to play. They should be strong and mature enough to go out and get us 3 points.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 242 likes
Total likes: 477 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

SL wrote:Well said that man.

Its annoying and frustrating when a "sideshow" develops in a thread. One of the reasons I dont post as often as i used to actually.
Well I thought we were having a discussion on a discussion board that was distinctly on topic. You said you didn't think people should have to show respect for other peoples religions, I pointed out that's sort of the definition of Bigotry (wasn't saying you are that btw), you started talking about kiddy fiddlers, so far no ones mentioned the Naz....oh ****!! :D
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

Football is chaos.

It's hilarious how many completely separate factors are put forward as the reason why a football match turns out as it does. Most of them are completely irrelevant.

Let's just see what happens. We can then fit all our different theories to the result as most football fans do. :lol:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

James P wrote:Football is chaos.

It's hilarious how many completely separate factors are put forward as the reason why a football match turns out as it does. Most of them are completely irrelevant.

Let's just see what happens. We can then fit all our different theories to the result as most football fans do. :lol:
Racist! Boooo!
SL

Post by SL »

I was actually disagreeing with someone who said that "it's only right" that we respect his beliefs -implying that there is no other option.

My point simply being that each individual has got the right to either respect or not respect the beliefs of someone else.
SL

Post by SL »

Sloop John B wrote:
Well I thought we were having a discussion on a discussion board that was distinctly on topic. You said you didn't think people should have to show respect for other peoples religions, I pointed out that's sort of the definition of Bigotry (wasn't saying you are that btw), you started talking about kiddy fiddlers, so far no ones mentioned the Naz....oh sh*t!! :D

I was actually disagreeing with someone who said that "it's only right" that we respect his beliefs -implying that there is no other option.

My point simply being that each individual has got the right to either respect or not respect the beliefs of someone else.

The kiddy fiddler reference was an extreme example to emphasise my point
Last edited by SL on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Sloop John B wrote:...so far no ones mentioned the Naz....oh sh*t!! :D
Don't worry, the Pope agrees!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11332515
Then again, he used to be a Nazi didn't he, maybe he's trying to be friendly.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

He can't win.If we win - its because he wasn't there. And if we lose, its because he wasnt there.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

QuintonNimoy wrote: Go on, follow Godwin's law. We're definitely on the home stretch now.
That's exactly what Hitler's supporters would have said. :wink:
speculator
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Post by speculator »

Will he at least be watching on Sky? Maybe he could telephone in if we need a sub on or change of tactics.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

I assume that those who are saying it doesn't matter that he's not there on Saturday as it's the players on the pitch that are the ones who do the job, were not the same people criticising Zola last season for not making substitutions or changing tactics?

However that said this is a fuss over nothing really. His assistants can manage for one game and lets face it, they can't do any worse......

can they?
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

good excuse to get on a high horse
Bobby06

Post by Bobby06 »

What about all the other players and staff ?, say the muslims do they not bother turning up because its ramadan. Fairs fair we have not even got a point from 4 matches , and this Geezer has got the front to ask for the day off, come of it. David Gold says its OK and has his backing didn't he say that last season to Gianfranco Zola and look what happened to him. I say either do your job or sling your hook mate. :raver:
Porfirio
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porfirio »

Bobby06 wrote:What about all the other players and staff ?, say the muslims do they not bother turning up because its ramadan. Fairs fair we have not even got a point from 4 matches , and this Geezer has got the front to ask for the day off, come of it. David Gold says its OK and has his backing didn't he say that last season to Gianfranco Zola and look what happened to him. I say either do your job or sling your hook mate. :raver:
Ramadan is different - Yom Kippur specifically involves not doing any work for 24 hours. If you're going to have an intolerant view at least get your facts straight.
solar hammer

Post by solar hammer »

So Avram has been celebrating Yom Kippur since he joined us then?
Hambrosia Stu

Post by Hambrosia Stu »

Porfirio wrote: Ramadan is different - Yom Kippur specifically involves not doing any work for 24 hours. If you're going to have an intolerant view at least get your facts straight.
Since when did an intolerant ignorant view need any grasp of the facts? :lol: