Sky lose court case ruling over footy games in pubs [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Watching football at home... do you:

Subscribe to Sky Sports
18%
Watch live football via unauthorised internet feeds/streams
32%
Both
44%
Neither
6%

Total votes: 243

Trap1
Total likes: 23 likes

Re: Sky lose court case ruling over footy games in pubs [POLL]

Post by Trap1 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Good. I hope this is the beginning of the end for the whole festering, steaming pile of corruption that is Sky's ruination of English Football.
It won't be though, by the next PL deal they will get four out of the six packages and will insist on a seperate clause for commercial packages. ESPN will get the rest and PL football will be cost more to the consumer. The only way this can be stopped is for the Eu to break up collective buying and that is very unlikely.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

IIIronss wrote:When a 3 o clock KO sells out, put it on the tele.

Easy.
Meanwhile, NFL American Football is the most lucrative and most watched sport in the US.

And Mr Goodell remains bullish about the NFL's prospects at home, despite uncertainty about the US economy.

"Obviously it is our biggest market," says Mr Goodell.

"It [the economic situation] is challenging, but also an opportunity - we have got to focus our strategy."

One way of gauging a potential fall in fans paying at the gate is through the number of TV blackouts of games, imposed when matches fail to sell out.

And there will be at least two local TV blackouts among the NFL's 13 games this weekend, in San Diego and Detroit.

NFL regulations say teams need to sell out their stadiums 72 hours prior to kick-off for the game to be shown on local TV.

The blackouts bring the NFL's total for the season to 12.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11652901" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scaloni Is The Messiah

Post by Scaloni Is The Messiah »

IIIronss wrote:When a 3 o clock KO sells out, put it on the tele.

Easy.
The law isn't neccesarily there to protect the game being broadcast. Otherwise the same issue would exist for any televised game. It's more to do with how broadcasting a big game at 3pm on a Saturday would affect crowds lower down the league and non-league pyramid.

How much of an impact it would make is impossible to judge. I'd suggest there's enough football on every weekend now that if people are going to pay £15 to go and see their local team at 3pm on a Saturday, they'll do it whether Fulham v West Brom is on at the pub or not. You usually miss at least a half each of the 12:30 and 17:30 kick-offs anyway if you're travelling to and from a game, and I've seen no evidence that puts people off.

FWIW, I think it's about time we were able to watch every Premier League game live on TV. It's been available for the Champions League for years now. People expect choice these days, especially for the price we all pay.
dapablo
Sourpuss, grumpy face

Post by dapablo »

Scaloni Is The Messiah wrote: they'll do it whether Fulham v West Brom is on at the pub or not.
Thats an issue, I would get really tired of contnualy watching red manchester
neilbob

Post by neilbob »

I don't subscribe to Sky and probably never will. I detest Murdochs news empire and refuse to willingly put a penny in his pocket.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Sky get 200m revenue from pubs, and it is estimated they will lose 60-70 million due to this ruling. A drop in the ocean for them.
AnthraxDave
Has liked: 106 likes
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by AnthraxDave »

Part of me really wants the whole thing to implode, so we can go back to the days where one match each Sunday was shown and maybe one in the midweek. It would stop the shifting of games to kick off at stupid-o'clock to appease the armchair fans.

My local team, Hereford United, really suffers in terms of attendances when there is a Champions League match on at the same time. Usually to the tune of 500-800 or so fans. Not much, but on an average gate of less than 3000 anyway, it is hardly something that can be healthy.

In any case, I'd much rather be at the ground with my mates than watching on TV. Sadly, due to location, I rarely get to see West Ham but by also supporting my local club, I feel that I am contributing to their survival in this ridiculous hyper-capitalist era that football has entered.

PS - There was a hilarious article in a paper about a bloke in Devon who had the Man United badge tatted over the whole of his back. One line of the article was "X is a die hard Manchester United fan and never misses a game on TV" or something. I bet he could pop up the road and watch Exeter on a Saturday afternoon, but that wouldn't be as fashionable, I guess :-)
pbenjy
Has liked: 20 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by pbenjy »

If over time TV revenues decrease then income from fans actually attending matches will become more important to clubs.

Something to think about with respect to the Olympic Stadium debate.
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

I can't see at all how this could ever be bad.

If crowds lessen - REDUCE TICKET PRICES.

So if that less money, and less TV money etc. is in the game... so what. English clubs won't be able to afford foreign players? Good!

Reduce ticket prices, reduce player contracts, reduce bigger clubs control. Maybe 'will never happen', but the ruling is huge.

If others realise they can make money by screening foreign channels, Sky will have NO CHOICE but to make more games available for less.

Clubs will have no choice but to lower ticket prices IF crowds lessen, which they won't at the best supported clubs anyway.
Hamburger
Has liked: 853 likes
Total likes: 432 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Satellite TV is pretty much dead anyway. Sky only prolonged it's use to maintain a captive market. This ruling will make them expand their internet service which they introduced with the new Glass TV. Everything they do is and will be designed to protect content which is understandable but they are up against it now with streaming always able to circumvent geo restrictions and impossible to police. They will have to consider reducing pricing enough so there is no point going to the bother of streaming. ln all likelihood their exclusive gravy train is coming to an endend and they will have to start being competitive.

I think showing live games will have minimal impact because clubs will have to reduce prices and up their match day experience to get the crowds in and that's not a bad thing.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

A TEN year old thread, really?!

Rays Rock
Has liked: 46 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Rays Rock »

You may be right. But if you consider we were saying that sky couldn’t sustain prices 10 years ago, then you look at what has happened in the past 2 seasons with global finances and still subscription prices remain elevated and attendances haven’t dropped off much. I do agree though that with stiff competition from the big streaming services it could introduce a customer price war. But even then if you look at that in detail it can’t really happen, because if they are all in competition for the same rights package this creates a bidding war that will inevitably push the bid price upward which will inevitably be passed on to the viewer. At the point of delivery to the viewer it isn’t as if they are competing with another broadcaster in showing the same match at any time ?
Jonah
Has liked: 637 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by Jonah »

S-H wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:26 am A TEN year old thread, really?!

Nearly as bad as me voting before looking at the date. :crossed:
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Typical European attitude to copyright, but the good news is that it means f@@k all here. Media agreements are all enacted in US or UK law so these freeloading ponces have no jurisdiction here.

That said I am no fan of Sky Sport but it’s their money that pays for the rights from the PL, it’s their kit and crews that capture the games and it’s their bandwidth that enables broadcast.

Also, it is the clubs that prevent Sat 3pm broadcasting. It is to protect lower league attendances and revenue. Sky would put all games back to 3pm Sat and broadcast in a heartbeat if they could.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

S-H wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:26 am A TEN year old thread, really?!

I started reading it and was pleased to see Hambrosia Stu was posting again,then I realised it was a NECROTHREAD!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

It's been ten years. I wish to change my vote. My viewing habits have changed.
Arnold Layne
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by Arnold Layne »

That’s not how democracy works!
last.caress
Star Raid-er
Location: Eyes that shine, burnin' red. Dreams of you all through my head.
Has liked: 1222 likes
Total likes: 1639 likes

Post by last.caress »