Olympic Stadium Pub Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Olympic Stadium Pub Thread

Postby Welling on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:51 am

Yes I know it's 3 years away and things might change, but based on current knowledge, what are the best pubs in and around the Olympic Site and Stratford itself where the majority of West Ham fans will congregate for a pre match drink?

Is there a current pub that is likely to become the 'New Boleyn' ?

Do we think that our 'home boozer' will be a Wetherspoons or something in the new Westfield Development?

Is there a chance that we will have a supporters club built within/nearby the stadium?

Are any of the pubs on the other side of the stadium to Stratford any good? Wick Lane? Hackney Wick?

Where will the 'West Ham Ultras' be based?
Welling

Re: Pre Match Drink at Stratford?

Postby StiffUpper on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:02 am

I think 'old' Stratford\Maryland would be good before the game and Hackney Wick\Bow after.

The latter because it'll be against the flow of the crowds and Stratford City will be a real pinch point on the walk to the station
StiffUpper

Postby The Gibbins on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 am

Who has actually been in The Boleyn more than once and actually enjoyed it? :lol:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby gavind on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:06 am

The Gibbins wrote:Who has actually been in The Boleyn more than once and actually enjoyed it?

is it that bad? :oops:
gavind

Postby stevenmj on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:12 am

As all C2C trains are being routed through Stratford tomorrow maybe I should jump off check the pubs and have a pint before continuing to Marylebone? Do you think C2C know something? I smell a conspiracy.
stevenmj

Postby The Gibbins on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:25 am

gavind wrote:is it that bad? :oops:

Dunno, maybe its just me lol, i hated it when i went in there..

There are quite a few pubs that looked decent when i was in a cab around Stratford the other week. But i dont know the walking distance etc from pubs around Stratford Station to the actual ground. Cant be much further than Black Lion, Green Gate though so not too bad.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat

Postby White Goodman on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 am

Welling wrote:Yes I know it's 3 years away and things might change, but based on current knowledge, what are the best pubs in and around the Olympic Site and Stratford itself where the majority of West Ham fans will congregate for a pre match drink?

Is there a current pub that is likely to become the 'New Boleyn' ?

Do we think that our 'home boozer' will be a Wetherspoons or something in the new Westfield Development?

Is there a chance that we will have a supporters club built within/nearby the stadium?

Are any of the pubs on the other side of the stadium to Stratford any good? Wick Lane? Hackney Wick?

Where will the 'West Ham Ultras' be based?

I bet the owners of the Westfield Centre are absolutely ecstatic that hordes of West Ham fans might consider a pub/eaterie in their new, upmarket shopping centre.

I can see signs going up 'NO WEST HAM FANS'
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Location: Currently educating John Higgins on the UK Bribery Act

Postby GideaParkHammer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:31 am

As the transport links are so so much more wonderful than Upton Park, I will probably have a few in Romford before getting the train to Stratford.
GideaParkHammer

Postby hammer in kent on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:32 am

Who has actually been in The Boleyn more than once and actually enjoyed it? :lol:

I been in there twice for pre-match drinks. Would never go again, was ok for a few songs but i was a bit pissed off as so many people in there think it is fun to throw lager all over the place and you end up going to game covered in it. But at least i know why there was plastic covers over the tv screen. Never again:)
hammer in kent

Postby Stratford Hammer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:36 am

Supporters coming in on the Shenfield line could get off at Maryland and have a decent pub crawl towards the stadium before the game if they so wished. Plenty of decent pubs about.
Stratford Hammer

Postby GideaParkHammer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Westfield's backed our bid so I can not see them being too worried at the hordes of Hammers descending on the place.

One of my favourite sporting memories was going to the new(ish) Mile High Stadium in Denver. It was very close to the main shopping area, and after the game, the fans filtered off into different bars. This could be one benefit of Stratford
GideaParkHammer

Postby MonkeyHarris on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:33 pm

The Gibbins wrote:Who has actually been in The Boleyn more than once and actually enjoyed it? :lol:

It's ok from time to time for a bit of amusement..... bit like going to the zoo
MonkeyHarris

Postby brookingsboots on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Stratford Hammer wrote:Supporters coming in on the Shenfield line could get off at Maryland and have a decent pub crawl towards the stadium before the game if they so wished. Plenty of decent pubs about.

Is the Chevy chase still at Maryland, that place was only about 10 feet wide, used to get very busy in there.
EDIT* Just checked google maps it is still there
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... .85,,0,6.6

Watch out for the Railway too used to be plenty of plod in there before and after their shifts.
Last edited by brookingsboots on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brookingsboots

Postby -DL- on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:35 pm

MonkeyHarris wrote:It's ok from time to time for a bit of amusement..... bit like going to the zoo

It must be weird for you, watching from your cage, Monkey. ;)
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby the pink palermo on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:37 pm

Don't care, not going, so there .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby GideaParkHammer on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:39 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Don't care, not going, so there .

I suspect that after a few visits to the stadium, my pre-match drinking hole will be the same place as my during and post match one. So...The Sun in London Rd
GideaParkHammer

Postby HammerMan2004 on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:42 pm

Getting boring reading it mate.
HammerMan2004

Postby Welling on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:51 pm

:lol:
Welling

Postby fmgod on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:54 pm

The Boleyn is fine, if you don't want to get involved in the action just don't go in the main room the rest is fine.
fmgod

Postby Pop Robson on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm

Let's hope were still in the prem plenty of streams and pub showing the games
Pop Robson

Next

Return to General Discussion