Olympic Stadium Pub Thread

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Olympic Stadium Pub Thread

Postby RichieRiv on Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:04 pm

trick88 wrote:Why not start a new irrelevant thread of 'I know more Newham than all you sell-outs' and you can show your beans there?

Corrected for you.
RichieRiv

Postby Shedite on Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:54 pm

First venture to the new stadium on Saturday. What's the pre-match pubs like? I'll be arriving to Stratford, from reading through this thread The Langthorne, Queens Head and Builders Arms get favorable mentions, with Carpenters sounding like it'll be very busy.

Post game will any of those pubs have problems staying in colors for the night?
Shedite

Postby bobbymooresbracelet on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:31 pm

Shedite wrote:
Post game will any of those pubs have problems staying in colors for the night?

Definitely not in the Carpenters or the Builders.

Unless your in full kit.
bobbymooresbracelet

Postby arlhe on Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:21 am

The cluster of places near The Crate in Hackney Wick don't allow colours after the game.

Pre match there's loads of choices within 20 mins walk of the ground. I wouldn't go to the Langthorne on principle - they put the price of beer and food up on match days and, anyway, The Black Bull is directly opposite and a better pub.

I still haven't settled on a particular venue though. Maybe the Railway Tavern is just shading it at the moment.
arlhe

Postby rciron on Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:28 am

Paid a sad visit to the old girl, before the Sunderland game, was a day of mixed emotions, the station was eerily quiet and felt like it was partially boarded up, as they closed the entrance looking down green st, went in the queens , 9 people in and funny paint job, soft piped music , didn't stop, Kens got a few in, and was surprised how busy Green ST and the market was, more surprised to see the number of West Ham shirts and colours on display, despite the lack of pre match Buzz you used to get early doors on match days, was struck by the overwhelming sense of belonging, like home, a sense that I needed to be somewhere but not sure where to go, the road was being dug up, something they could not have done during a football season when we were there without major disruption, and it was good to see a number of the workers wearing West Ham shirts and colours under their hi-viz, went in the Boleyn, no ribman, no music, smelled of disinfectant, toilets security locked, with 2 people in the bar, stuck outside, a forlorn looking blackboard advertising reduced price drinks and a coach to Stratford for £120 per season, which brings me to the jewel in the crown, the Hammers Supporters Club, proper old school, top decent people running it, decent beer and decent prices, upstairs through the window looking into that once fortress stadium, that holds so many memories and emotion for us all, amongst the broken seats that failed to sell for a bullseye a pop, in the middle of the hallowed turf, that you can buy for Xmas at a bullseye a pop, stands a digger paused for its next round of destruction.
The HSC was promised relocation to Stratford by the liars that are our board, and so far nothing , so do yourselves a favour if you are looking for a pre match beer and get in for a couple before L'Arse the taxi firm next door, can take 4 to Stratford for £2.50 each or as I was on me Jack, bus stop right opposite on green st, was in the black bull in 15 mins, see you all on Saturday, and let's try and keep this famous old institution open :crest:
Last edited by rciron on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rciron

Pub for Man U away

Postby Skent123 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:50 pm

Does anyone know which pub in Manchester most of the West Ham fans will be heading to before the match tonight??
Skent123

Re: Pub for Man U away

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:52 pm

Yes very good.

5.50pm is a bit late to be asking, no?
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Shedite on Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:34 pm

Any of the Stratford boozers any better than the others on a Saturday night? Planning on staying around the ground for the evening after the game Saturday. Are any lively on a regular Saturday night?
Shedite

Postby bobbymooresbracelet on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:07 pm

The Swan,Two Puddings,Mooro's,The Burford,Yorkshire Grey,Bakers Arms were good boozers years ago sadly most have gone or changed names.
bobbymooresbracelet

Postby Pop Robson on Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:10 pm

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:The Swan,Two Puddings,Mooro's,The Burford,Yorkshire Grey,Bakers Arms were good boozers years ago sadly most have gone or changed names.

Only one of those is left afaik !

Mate from school Dad was running the Swan late 70s early 80s
Pop Robson

Postby mushy on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:49 am

Just a quick note for those that dont know.
I noticed driving down that way yesterday that The Widows Son in Bow is open again.
Was a lovely pub back in the day, got a bit shabby towards the end.
Looks like its turned into a bit of a hipster joint though, not sure if thats good or bad.
If anyone visits, write your review on here, its right next door to Devons Row DLR and as such must be one of the easiest pubs for getting to the new gaff. Just two stops away.
mushy

Postby Pop Robson on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:51 pm

mushy wrote:Looks like its turned into a bit of a hipster joint though, not sure if thats good or bad.
If anyone visits, write your review on here,.

A couple of google reviews

Wow, this place has changed a lot. From a shabby old man pub, fruit machines etc, to a cool cocktail bar. I had the beetroot and chilli margarita. I'd also recommend the T Rex. A breath of fresh air for the area.

Newly opened pub with really delicious cocktails, excellent music, and friendly staff. Live music was an added bonus for a Friday night out! A welcome addition to the area.
Pop Robson

Postby sharphammer on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:56 pm

Pop Robson wrote:
A couple of google reviews

Wow, this place has changed a lot. From a shabby old man pub, fruit machines etc, to a cool cocktail bar. I had the beetroot and chilli margarita. I'd also recommend the T Rex. A breath of fresh air for the area.

Newly opened pub with really delicious cocktails, excellent music, and friendly staff. Live music was an added bonus for a Friday night out! A welcome addition to the area.

beetroot and chilli margarita? FFS! :lol:
sharphammer

Postby brooking10 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:50 pm

Always used to be known as 'The Bun House'.

If you don't mind a stroll, loads of pubs in Bow are walkable to the stadium, and a lot of them don't get too busy.
brooking10

Postby hammerman11 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:52 am

as long as you avoid the cafe football rubbish at westfield and similar pubs you should be ok.

the bull is friendly with regular visits by a few badge men. 2 for £5. Then onto builders arms and then carpenters arms for a song or two to get you in the mood.

I am happy with those 3 and will be using them from now on. Carpenters the best for me. good range of beers,west ham songs and 5 mins from the ground. sorted.
hammerman11

Postby roblo on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:17 am

mushy wrote:I noticed driving down that way yesterday that The Widows Son in Bow is open again.

Nice one, thank you. We've been going to the Tradegar, Morgan Arms and Green Goose, so will try this too.
roblo

Postby mushy on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:38 pm

roblo wrote:Nice one, thank you. We've been going to the Tradegar, Morgan Arms and Green Goose, so will try this too.

Tredegar is one of my favourite pubs, do you walk from there?
if so, how long would it take?
mushy

Postby Romford on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:43 pm

Sounds painful to me....must be a good half hour
Romford
Big X

Postby Albie Beck on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Romford wrote:Sounds painful to me....must be a good half hour

Just about everywhere's a good half hour, Rom - that 's the trouble!!
Albie Beck

Postby Romford on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Albie Beck wrote:Just about everywhere's a good half hour, Rom - that 's the trouble!!

I can think of half a dozen around 15 mins mate...
Romford
Big X

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion