Carlton Cole

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Carlton Cole

Postby VikeltAussie on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:11 pm

richiepap wrote:
I'd love to be embarrassed by having Suarez in my team. For example the amount of grief he got for handballing on the line during the World Cup, I think he did exactly the right thing.

:thdn: I hope you're kidding
VikeltAussie

Location: Sydney, Sydney, oh Sydney said I, I will stand in Moore Park til the day I die

Postby richiepap on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Not even remotely.
richiepap

Postby DustyHammer on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:13 pm

Well I wouldn't mind if it was Suarez but someone of his calibre would never come here.

I was thinking more C.C. or someone like Djibril Cisse
DustyHammer

Postby VikeltAussie on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:20 pm

You'd want to be 3 places higher in the league ie Liverpool, with a player like Suarez in the team? That's your opinion and that's fine but i'd rather have a model pro who I can be proud to support than a vile little man like him.
VikeltAussie

Location: Sydney, Sydney, oh Sydney said I, I will stand in Moore Park til the day I die

Postby richiepap on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:30 pm

I see what you're saying, and Suarez is definitely a difficult little so-and-so, but plenty is being made of his antics. I'm sure he'll get his comeuppance.

The end of the day though it is supposed to be about entertainment, not paragons of virtue. We're trying to build a cracking football team not the frickin Justice League.

I'd much laugh in the face of people at work because someone like Suarez was a constant pain in the ass when we played their team than discuss how Carlton managed to smash the ball over the bar from three yards out.
richiepap

Postby MS in the West on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Leave aside all the other stuff, it's majorly disappointing that Suarez didn't own up to the blatant hand ball. It was, I'm sure, an accident, and I don't think he behaved any worse than any other pro. And that's the point. Just how low has professional football sunk that a player doesn't hold his hand up to something that blatant. It's not about winning a game, it's about cheating to get a result. Same as many professional fouls.

Football is full of deliberate cheating, which commentators just pass off as 'part of the game'. It's not. It's disallowed actually. Against the rules. And football would be much the better without it.

I actually think that it's quite possible to eradicate most poor elements of the game, if there was the will. But there is not, and the excuse is rolled out that there's too much pressure and it's understandable cos of the money in the game

Tell all the stuff about pressure to surgeons who make life and death decisions. And other occupations with major responsibilities.

Suarez is no worse in that handball than most pros. How amazing would it have been if he'd actually held up his hand and said 'ref I handballed it by accident. It's not a goal'.
MS in the West

Postby warp on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:53 pm

i don't get all this "i love him, but he has to go" boIIox.
is it either starting eleven or get the fuçk out?!?

we could have a better striker than him, yes, but that doesn't mean that carlton would be useless for us.

he doesn't earn too much, likes the club, wants to stay and he's a decent forward, what's the problem in keeping him? doesn't have to be the main man ffs!
warp

Postby el pato on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:56 pm

Correct me if i,m wrong,but would not the ref have no choice than to award a goal in the event of an accidental handball?
el pato

Postby e17 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:39 pm

VikeltAussie wrote:You'd want to be 3 places higher in the league ie Liverpool, with a player like Suarez in the team? That's your opinion and that's fine but i'd rather have a model pro who I can be proud to support than a vile little man like him.

Hear hear fella

& that for me is what this club should be about. Has always been about

It's why I'd personally take lads like Carlton & Noble over Tevez all day, every day

It's the 20th anniversary of the death of someone who embodied that attitude & our club soon. These lads over players like Saurez all week, whatever their differences in ability.

G&S should be offering Cole a new contract IMO. That's NOT the same as claiming he should be 1st choice or anything else, just that we ain't gonna get better replacements & he's been the most consistent of our options year after year now. We'd get sod all for him anyway!!!!
e17

Postby sendô on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:48 pm

el pato wrote:Correct me if i,m wrong,but would not the ref have no choice than to award a goal in the event of an accidental handball?

Without reading the rules, I think there might be something in there about gaining unfair advantages from accidental handballs,although as I understand it handball has to be seen as deliberate (or the hands need to be in an "unnatural" position) for the ref to give it.

As for Suarez, there's people that wouldn't have him in our team? Give over, he's carried a crap Liverpool team to the lofty heights of 8th this season, we could be up there knocking on the door of the top 6 with him up top this season. Pie in the sky of course, but still.

Back to Carlton, I think having a couple of months on the bench has probably a) helped his injuries, and b) made him hungry. He's been great since getting back in the side, and although he hasn't been banging them in, the team as a whole has looked decent. Madness to let him go, great servant to the club and as I stated elsewhere in this thread, worth so much more to the club than his goals.
sendô

Postby richiepap on Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:34 pm

warp wrote:i don't get all this "i love him, but he has to go" boIIox.
is it either starting eleven or get the fuçk out?!?

we could have a better striker than him, yes, but that doesn't mean that carlton would be useless for us.

he doesn't earn too much, likes the club, wants to stay and he's a decent forward, what's the problem in keeping him? doesn't have to be the main man ffs!

Alright, easy!

I'm just thinking that the longer he stays the more tempted we'll be to, y'know, use him.

What I mean is I don't think that, as a striker, he's all that good and I don't think he's going to get all that better. I would just rather the option wasn't there to play him, so then we have to try something new out instead of being eternally frustrated by such a bi-polar footballer.
richiepap

Postby e17 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:20 pm

richiepap wrote:Alright, easy!

I'm just thinking that the longer he stays the more tempted we'll be to, y'know, use him.

What I mean is I don't think that, as a striker, he's all that good and I don't think he's going to get all that better. I would just rather the option wasn't there to play him, so then we have to try something new out instead of being eternally frustrated by such a bi-polar footballer.

you're clearly just trolling, but that's a shocking post

"bi-polar footballer"? What's that even supposed to mean?

You're clearly one of those mugs who stands there moaning about CC even after he scores or his effort makes the difference. Thankfully here, unlike at the Boleyn, it's possible to put you on 'ignore'
e17

Postby richiepap on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:57 pm

QQ

Of course it's not a troll, it's just an opinion. You don't think it's a particularly good one, and I'm sure you're not alone. I don't mind. I'm certainly not going to change it just because you're all huffy.

My memory is a little hazy and it might not have happened at all, but against Norwich didn't Carlton get up brilliantly to head away a corner, and then when the ball came back in to the box tried to volley it away but ended up slicing it right across the field and out for a throw in.

But anyway, in a moment of brilliance he can hold up a ball magnificently, and then immediately in a moment of ineptitude lay it off like he's playing for the opposition. He's scored some fantastic goals, and missed some utterly gilt-edged chances. That's why I called him a bi-polar footballer.

I'm merely expressing an opinion, it's ok to disagree. I haven't got anyone on here on ignore though. It would be boring as hell if we all thought the same thing.
richiepap

Postby prophet:marginal on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:56 pm

richiepap wrote:Not even remotely.

Logically, it can't be right (i.e. correct) to conduct yourself wrongly. I can see the counter-argument of 'ends justifying means' or even accept that my argument is in the main semantic, but its false logic to say that one is doing right to break the rules.

Morally, its more a question of taste, in my judgement. I am happier, personally, having a player in the team I support who does not look for fouls - and perhaps even instinctively strives to stay on his feet when others would go down, eyes on ref - but, again, appreciate that my views on sport and gamemanship inform that decision too.

The former, the question of logic is more of an absolute issue. The latter more one of personal opinion.

If, sake of argument, Vaz Te had got away with the most blatant handball in securing us the last gasp promotion we achieved last May, the cheer in my throat would have fallen away almost immediately.

I don't want to cheat to win. Only losers do that.
prophet:marginal

Postby PrinceH on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:07 pm

I mean, how can we put the only striker we've got for sale?
Chamakh - loan, may not be a hit
Carroll - loan, does not seem to be a hit and very expensive
Wellington - loan, and who knows?

Cole 29 is prime for a striker. He is also stronger than ever.

CC har been our most loyal player, and if you play like he did against Vidic a couple of days ago, would this be Sam's answer? Can't believe it! Absolutley not.
PrinceH

Postby rossmundo on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 pm

I think a move for Carlton at this moment in time would be benificial for both, Carlton and West Ham.
rossmundo

Postby speculator on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:30 pm

I think the writing was on the wall when he even failed to score regularly in The Championship. He has a dodgy knee and it's right to get a few bob for him before he walks for free. There's a lot of rose tinted glasses on here, being a good guy and passionate about the club does not keep you in The Premiership. We have to be ruthless, it's the nature of the league. Kill or be killed.
speculator

Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Postby rossmundo on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:33 pm

speculator wrote:I think the writing was on the wall when he even failed to score regularly in The Championship. He has a dodgy knee and it's right to get a few bob for him before he walks for free. There's a lot of rose tinted glasses on here, being a good guy and passionate about the club does not keep you in The Premiership. We have to be ruthless, it's the nature of the league. Kill or be killed.

You cant say fairer than that :thup:
rossmundo

Postby Mike420 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Carlton has been a great servant to the club, but he's not a good footballer. I like his character, but that's not a reason to offer him a new contract. He simply does not score or create enough goals which lets not forget is his job.

*puts on tin hat*
Mike420

Location: self-appointed 'ITK' auditor & CFC credit rating analyst

Postby Westcliff Hammer on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:39 pm

Mike420 wrote:Carlton has been a great servant to the club, but he's not a good footballer. I like his character, but that's not a reason to offer him a new contract. He simply does not score or create enough goals which lets not forget is his job.

*puts on tin hat*

100% agree.
Westcliff Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion