Relegation: who's responsible? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Who do you blame, primarily, for our impending relegation?

Sullivan & Gold
11%
Avram Grant
25%
Barry Silkman
1%
The playing squad
13%
Gudmundsson & Magnusson
1%
Griffiths/Sheffield United
No votes
A combination of two or more of the above
48%
Something else entirely
0%

Total votes: 295

The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Re: Relegation: who's responsible? [POLL]

Post by The Rebirth »

tjr008 wrote:The summer signings were rubbish - this is the fault of the owners and the manager.

The tactics we've played this season have been woeful - this is the fault of the manager.

The complete lack of any gameplan in games - this is the fault of the manager

The lack of motivation in the pitch - this is the fault of the players and the manager.

The lack of defensive ability - this is the players, the coaches, the manager and the owners (for not buying a lead central defender).

The easiest, simplest relegation of all time. Grant should take 75% of the blame, with the players & owners the rest.
Some of you are just crazy... I don't understand why you think owners should be pumping millions into West Ham I really don't this isn't a play thing for them it's a business they need to bring the debt down.

We are not owned but billionaires who throw cash around.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Fixtures weren't kind to us at the beginning of the season, which meant we were always playing catchup, but Grant's insistence on playing 4-3-3 and changing the playing staff every game has killed us. If he had played 4-4-2 with Keane and Ba up front against Blackburn, we would have won. We nearly got something away at City with that formation so just leave it alone. It's so simple to see it's frightening that he can't.
bubblesbubbles

Post by bubblesbubbles »

I have to agree with a lot of people on this , the players who don't seem to give a flying f**k and the manager for bad team selections and not giving said players a good kick up the ass as well as seemingly having no tactical knowledge .
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

as much as i dont think grant is the man - i think the blame lies more at the players feet than anywhere else

rip it up and start again
mankytoes

Post by mankytoes »

While it is tempting to blame individuals, the truth is the collapse of the Icelandic banks probably caused more problems for us than anything else.
munichhammer
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by munichhammer »

2005/06 Premier League - finished 18th, relegated to the Championship
2006/07 Championship - finished 2nd, promoted to Premier League
2007/08 Premier League - finished 19th, relegated to the Championship
2008/09 Championship - finished 2nd, promoted to Premier League

Well at least they know what is needed to do well in the fizzy pop.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

I've said all season that Grant should be given until the end of the season but I was wrong. Also think you can't have as your captain someone who will be leaving at the end of the season, should have been stripped of it. I've voted for two or more of the above. Board / manager / Players, obviously not Parker or Green.
Ozza
Has liked: 944 likes
Total likes: 2362 likes

Post by Ozza »

The board for poor decision making and their rubbish in the press

Grant for his tactical ability (lack of it), decision making and lack of energy

The players, for being a useless bunch of c****, with no love for this club.
Jackanakanory
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jackanakanory »

Manager and Players.
m-h

Post by m-h »

Avram Grant, he's the Manager.

How or why he was appointed is another issue (Silkman recommendation ?).
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

ultimately its the players, once they are on the pitch, the game is theirs to win or lose

yep, the manager has made some gaffes, some crap tactics, but we should still have more points on the board with what we have available

the board havent helped with their publing slagging of the players, however these are professionals, they earn a decent crust...just because the owners like to do their dirty washing in public, does not mean the players should give up...

i have been a season ticket holder since 1992...i cannot rememner a bunch of players who look so disinterested....this season has been appalling...relegation may do us a favour...clear em out, clean slate...start again

im actually looking forward to seeing some different teams next season, hopefully lower prices, some great weekends away and maybe the occasional win here and there....
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 422 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Primarily: the playing squad.

Why that's not been good enough is partly down to the current owners, partly to the manager, partly to the previous owners, with a slice of the blame on Terence Brown's management team for the dodgy Tevez contract.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

One of our more intelligent and honest players has given his view in private on this issue.
Unfortunately, it is much worse than any of us think.
In his view the whole place is completely dysfunctional. He says that with our support base, our location and reputation we should be in the top ten or even five. Instead we are down.
He says that the place is a complete mess from top to bottom with no-one working together. From training to match days there is no organisation and everyone out for themselves. Chairmen, manager, coaches, captain, players are all going their own way and doing their own thing.
He has been through the last few years of mismanagement, financial melt-down and controversy and he says right now it is much worse than it has ever been before.
It's like Lee Dixon said. A rabble.
All very sad.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

kthammer wrote:One of our more intelligent and honest players has given his view in private on this issue.
In his view the whole place is completely dysfunctional. He says that with our support base, our location and reputation we should be in the top ten or even five. Instead we are down.
He says that the place is a complete mess from top to bottom with no-one working together. From training to match days there is no organisation and everyone out for themselves. Chairmen, manager, coaches, captain, players are all going their own way and doing their own thing.
He has been through the last few years of mismanagement, financial melt-down and controversy and he says right now it is much worse than it has ever been before.
All very sad.
Very sad to hear, not surprised however. I think we need to get over our inevitable relegation and move on as soon as possible. It gives us a chance to have a full clear out, top to bottom. G&S need to be looking for a new manager now...they should be looking at every single league manager...no signing will be more important than this. They then need to let this new guy pick his own backroom staff, all of them, no one associated with the previous group. Maybe this will turn the tide.
Ginger Freeman
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Ginger Freeman »

The players primarily. That's now two managers they've ****ed over by being a useless shower of ****, not to mention Steve Clark and Wally Downes. How many more?

Much as I don't like them, I can't see what more the owners could have done, realistically.

Haven't had a massive problem with Grant's selections or tactics. People question his motivational techniques but that's pure speculation as we don't know what goes on inside the dressing room.

What isn't speculation is the crap that we see week in week out on the pitch. Players who are simply too complacent and, with a few exceptions, won't bust a gut to save us.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

kthammer wrote:One of our more intelligent and honest players has given his view in private on this issue.
All very sad.
That is sad, although I wonder who this player was, perhaps one of the unhappy ones?
Suzanne Claret

Post by Suzanne Claret »

I went for GaS, they appointed Grant, gave him a five year contract then when it was obvious they had made a mistake screwed up replacing him.
Benfleet Pete

Post by Benfleet Pete »

I think we've been on the verge of this crisis for years now. Finally it's all come to a head and probably, ulimately its the club culture to blame for relegation. The whole place is fragmented.
Still, with Noble, Collison, Tomkins, possibly Hines, Spector in midfield and a couple of older/wiser committed heads and a decent centre forward, I think we have the makings of a decent Championship team. Parker and Green won't stay. The rest of them can whistle.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

All very sad.
I'd be interested to know who, I'm sure there are plenty of players with an axe to grind.

If it is true the loss of strong characters like Neill who leads the team off the pitch has I'm sure exacerbated this. Not needed at Everton as they have a strong structure and manager, but a sore loss to us when we have chaos instead.
kthammer

Post by kthammer »

That is sad, although I wonder who this player was, perhaps one of the unhappy ones?
No I can promise you that he was not talking out of personal bitterness at all. Quite the opposite. He is completely shocked and sad about the whole thing.