Captain Kevin Nolan

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Captain Kevin Nolan

Postby Ozza on Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:26 am

After just seeing this bloke for three games, has seen how important a good captain is at this club. The man seems to be immense in everything he does, he leads by example in the way he plays, I've seen him in players ears encouraging them when things haven't gone right, he was in the thick of it, when Parker had a bust up and he even pens his own messages on the West Ham site.

I didn't think we would see a better leader than Lucas but this bloke is, and I will never ever forget watching him stalk the keeper so he couldn't see the ball on a free kick.

More in 3 games than Upson in 4 years!!!

Outstanding Captain Kev, could possibly be the best signing this club has made in a decade.
Ozza

Re: Captain Kevin Nolan

Postby daniel on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:04 am

Lifted off CH'a round-up:

Captain's Blog - 'We stood strong'
The skipper updates on a great week for the Hammers but says Sunday will be another battle to be won

We wanted to make an immediate impact after the disappointment of losing to Cardiff in the first game and I think this week saw what our intentions are going to be in this league.

We took a lot of positives from the first match and we have been able to put those to good use in the two fantastic back-to-back away wins at Doncaster and then at Watford.

At Doncaster, I was delighted to get my first goal for the club. We had other chances and could have added more, I felt it was a great team performance, though. We stood strong and got the result to register our first three points of the season.

It was a match that saw us show how we can fight and handle tough games when you just have to grind them out and win. It was a pleasing feeling to leave Doncaster last weekend knowing we had performed well and got the points in the bag.

It saw us go into the next game, at Watford, confident and wanting to carry the good work on and I have to say, I thought all the lads were fantastic.

It was what you would call a team win - four of the lads chipping in with the goal. I was delighted to see Tonks head in the first and then Joey getting what was his first for a few years. I am so pleased for him as he has had tough luck with injuries.

Then Coley scoring his first of the season in his first start which will give him bags of confidence for the season ahead and Scotty added his strike to round off a great result for us.

And it was also fantastic to get another clean sheet on the road. Greeny made a fantastic save and more. It will be just as important keeping the clean sheets as it is scoring the other end, as it will give us a good reputation to other teams coming to play us.

Not only can we score goals from all over the team but that we don't give much away. It just builds that mentality and will bode well for the season. It was a great team performance on and off the ball.

The two results saw us go into the top half of the table and that is where we want to be and there is no reason why we can't stay there. This was the kick-start we wanted and now we have to just keep working hard, keep focused and build on this week.

We go into Sunday's game confident but also knowing what to expect from a Leeds side who have had a sticky start but had a good win in midweek.

We are under no illusions that every game will be tough but we are ready for that. Leeds have a reputation from the past, which won titles and everything, so there is a lot of expectation. We know they will be confident, but we want to bring those two great results from this week into our home games and that is the aim for Sunday.

Can I just say again, how amazing the support has been from all of you. I said last week about the fantastic reception you gave us against Cardiff and how we wanted to make up for the disappointment of losing that game.

I know we practically sold out the capacity of tickets we were given in the last two away games and we were all delighted to give all those who followed us to Doncaster and Watford something to cheer about on their journey home and for those looking for the results wherever they were.

The spirit has been great around the training ground this week and obviously two wins boost that even further. Myself and Matty [Taylor] got a bit of extra stick and banter after someone put a photo up from one of the Monday papers where we were celebrating my goal and it looked like we were kissing!

Luckily for me, I didn't have too many people I know see it, but I think Matty got more stick as a lot of his friends saw it and were calling him! I found out who put the press-cutting up, so will get them back!

It was all a bit of fun and the thing is, if it means scoring and winning games, it might be that I will be kissing everyone from now until the end of the season!

I said last time that we were asking for you all to be patient and stick with us and I ask that again. We are not going to shy away from the responsibility that we have to you all, to match your support with getting the club back up to the Premier League.

We will be pushing ourselves hard to achieve that and to give us all something to celebrate at the end of the season. We know we owe you that and want to repay your support with that achievement.

Come on you Irons!

Kevin Nolan
daniel

Postby HammerForever on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:22 am

Ozza wrote:After just seeing this bloke for three games, has seen how important a good captain is at this club. The man seems to be immense in everything he does, he leads by example in the way he plays, I've seen him in players ears encouraging them when things haven't gone right, he was in the thick of it, when Parker had a bust up and he even pens his own messages on the West Ham site.

I didn't think we would see a better leader than Lucas but this bloke is, and I will never ever forget watching him stalk the keeper so he couldn't see the ball on a free kick.

More in 3 games than Upson in 4 years!!!

Outstanding Captain Kev, could possibly be the best signing this club has made in a decade.

couldnt agree more! although Upson was particularly poor not taking anything away from Nolan, great signing!!!
HammerForever

Postby djclipz on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:59 am

Myself and Matty [Taylor] got a bit of extra stick and banter after someone put a photo up from one of the Monday papers where we were celebrating my goal and it looked like we were kissing!

haha looked like........ :lol:

Wonder who that was... probably Carlton.

Seriously though.. i do like the guy, hopefully he continues to be a cracking signing for us and gets that goal tally up! Neill was our last good captain, Nolan comes in a similar mould but hopefully will be the better footballer!
djclipz

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:04 am

Thanks Ozza ~ If I score tomorrow, I promise to do that Chicken dance thingy of mine, just for you

Love, Kev xxx
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Location: In the back of The Gretta Garbo Home for wayward boys and girls

Postby Galwayman on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:19 am

Ozza wrote:Outstanding Captain Kev, could possibly be the best signing this club has made in a decade.

Agree fully - except for Lucas comment.... not fit to lace Bobby's or Bonzo's boots.....
Galwayman

Postby Matt of iron on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:25 am

Finally a decent replacement captain wise for Lucas. :thup:
Matt of iron

Postby szola on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am

Ozza wrote:I will never ever forget watching him stalk the keeper so he couldn't see the ball on a free kick.

Been waiting to see us stalk the oppo keeper.
The other teams are always all over Green.
Bout time we took off the gloves as well.
szola

Postby Hammerted on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:35 am

Greeny? Surely as captain he should know it's Greeno
Hammerted

Postby JonG86 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:14 am

Great captain and footballer. **** writer!
JonG86

Postby LeonRivers on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:30 pm

Kevin Nolan wrote:....It was a pleasing feeling to leave Doncaster last weekend....

I've been to worse places, but I know how he feels.
LeonRivers

Postby Chelmo Hammer on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 pm

I dont understand how Lucas Neill used to so the Captains Blog thing every week witthout fail - bit then Matt Upson never did it, but now Kevin Nolan is doing it again. Was Upson refusing to do it? For me the captains blog is of massive importance because he is the one who is leading the team and the one who bridges the gap between fans and the team.

Big fan of Kev Nolan, he's a proper captain :thup:
Chelmo Hammer

Postby Dyl on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Chelmo Hammer wrote:I dont understand how Lucas Neill used to so the Captains Blog thing every week witthout fail - bit then Matt Upson never did it, but now Kevin Nolan is doing it again. Was Upson refusing to do it? For me the captains blog is of massive importance because he is the one who is leading the team and the one who bridges the gap between fans and the team.

Big fan of Kev Nolan, he's a proper captain

almost certainly couldn't be arsed. The guy is a ****
Dyl

Postby Ariksan on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:29 pm

Great captain. But is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that the article was written by the same ghostwriter that wrote the Avram stuff? :lol:
Ariksan

Postby Chelmo Hammer on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:32 pm

Dyl wrote:almost certainly couldn't be arsed. The guy is a c***

Yep exactly what I thought. Between Neill and Nolan it just goes to show how terrible a captain Upson really was.
Chelmo Hammer

Postby djclipz on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Ariksan wrote:Great captain. But is it just me or does anyone else have the feeling that the article was written by the same ghostwriter that wrote the Avram stuff?

Indeed, however.....

lifted this from Brady's Sun column..........

We all remember how he became wayward Andy Carroll's landlord and mentor and I also respect him for insisting that he writes his own comments on our fans' website. Now that is unusual.

:arry:
djclipz

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Chelmo Hammer wrote:I dont understand how Lucas Neill used to so the Captains Blog thing every week witthout fail - bit then Matt Upson never did it, but now Kevin Nolan is doing it again. Was Upson refusing to do it? For me the captains blog is of massive importance because he is the one who is leading the team and the one who bridges the gap between fans and the team.

:

Probably just concidence, just like when he used to get injured playing against Andy Carroll & when we were about to play Andy Carroll, but then miraculously recover when Andy Carroll was declared unfit..
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby theflafson on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:36 am

So..... is it still captain Parker? :lol:
theflafson

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:40 am

I thought Nolan was very poor yesterday. Along with Noble who continuously gave he ball away.
westham,eggyandchips

Location: Playing drums for the worlds greatest air guitar band.

Postby sendô on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 am

westham,eggyandchips wrote:I thought Nolan was very poor yesterday. Along with Noble who continuously gave he ball away.

Yep, Parker was the only one of the middle three who performed well. Clayton and Snodgrass had the better of them far too often.
sendô

Next

Return to General Discussion