Captain Kevin Nolan

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Captain Kevin Nolan

Postby plantman on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:52 pm

I have to say nolans fast becoming one of my favourite west ham players ever and I didn't have a good word to say about him this time last year,I just didn't get him? His captaincy,emphasis on team spirit,and goals have completely won me over,I love the way he signs for all the kids in the carpark after games in no rush to bugger off,proper proper fella kevin nolan,oozes class imho :)
plantman

Postby m-h on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:15 am

Hasn't scored in six now I think and little loss of form ?.
Just doesn't seem to click as well with Carlton as he does with Carroll. Carlton won a lot of headers yesterday but seemed a lot like last season, didn't have much support.

Just an opinion.
m-h

Postby richneal on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:04 am

miami-hammer wrote:Hasn't scored in six now I think and little loss of form ?.
Just doesn't seem to click as well with Carlton as he does with Carroll. Carlton won a lot of headers yesterday but seemed a lot like last season, didn't have much support.

Just an opinion.

In his column a couple of weeks ago, Dicksy alluded to the fact that in his opinion, if Nolan stops scoring he should be dropped. Dicksy is not a big fan, read his quotes and then read between the lines mate.

And as for Carlton not having much support, that's the gaffers tactics and game-plan - it's no accident. For the most part, it's packing five across the middle and then having those five sit very, very deep . . . that will always leave CC on his todd. Additionally, Cole may look even further exposed because some of our midfielders do not appear to give a good impression of Roadrunner and might be a tad on the pedestrian side of things

(FWIW, for the first time I've seen this season, IMO Jarvis was playing a little further forward than usual yesterday)

But back on topic - agreed, CC and Nolan do not yet appear to click.
richneal

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.

Postby dplus91 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:14 am

Dicks has really let himself down there. Dropping Nolan because he hasn't scored in a few games? Totally undervalues what else Nolan brings to the team & squad.
dplus91

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:16 am

Carroll's absence isn't the issue IMO - it's Diame's (and to a lesser degree Vaz Te, and maybe Yossi).

We're being dominated in midfield without him - that leads to Nolan playing deeper - and we're back to last season.

Nolan's finishing has been poorer in recent weeks and things aren't quite running for him - wrongly disallowed goals v Chelsea and Man City, yesterday the slight deflection that took a great volley inches wide....

Jarvis apart, our front 6 yesterday was the one that drew game after game in the Fizzy.

Nolan, Noble, Taylor, O'Neil........solid pros to a man, but hardly the jamaican 4 by 100 sprint relay, is it?
bubbles1966

Postby steveyrockstar on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:18 am

Cole and Nolan clicked perfectly well in the c'ship though. I guess more recently, when AC was playing, he was chasing back to get the ball, defending, drifting out wide, holding back and rarely getting into scoring positions himself, thus allowing Nolan to be the main frontman and nip into the box ahead of him.

Carlton is actually playing as out and out centre forward
steveyrockstar

Postby PaoloD on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:26 am

Really bad miss at the death from Nolan. For such a good chance, he couldn't have got it more wide if he tried.
PaoloD

Postby 61dicksey on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Vaz Te, Benayoun make us a more balanced side cannot wait for them to be fully fit .
61dicksey

Postby Jigga on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:55 pm

Missed two great chances yesterday which on another day he would have taken. Overall his performances have been ok the last six games but as others have pointed out he needs better (technical) players around him to bring the best out of his own game.

Hopefully once Benayoun, Vaz Te and Diame return next month, Nolan should start banging the goals in again.
Jigga

Postby baritalia on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Lost quite a bit of respect at me today. There's nobody in the world that will convince me that he didn't get booked deliberately.
baritalia

Postby HammerMan2004 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:13 pm

He took a booking like most players do when their opponents are about to break free on a counter and massively outnumber us...
HammerMan2004

Postby LeonRivers on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:43 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Carroll's absence isn't the issue IMO - it's Diame's (and to a lesser degree Vaz Te, and maybe Yossi).

We're being dominated in midfield without him - that leads to Nolan playing deeper - and we're back to last season.

Good point. One, I must admit, that I had not considered. I shall reconsider what I was about to post..... :wink:
LeonRivers

Postby hawkins_hammer on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:51 pm

Has been poor all month and hopefully missing Norwich will do us and him some good.
hawkins_hammer

Postby Billydinho on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:12 pm

When you contribute little else other than goals and you aren't scoring, then you're playing badly.

He is a very good captain but that's not enough I'm afraid.

Needs a rest and hopefully will be back to himself soon.
Billydinho

Postby Chelmo Hammer on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:31 pm

He was going through a similar spell before he got sent off against Millwall last season I recall. As mentioned by others, maybe sitting out a game and hopefully watching the team beat Norwich (!) without him might be what he needs.
Chelmo Hammer

Postby Rocketron on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:33 pm

I'm glad that someone has bumped this thread as I have been distinctly underchuffed with our ccaptain since Carroll has been missing.
I don't mean to "dig out" Nolan but as captain he has been very anonymous on the pitch.
Rocketron

Postby westhamerica on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:35 pm

I think it has more to do with Diame being out than Carroll. Missing that Yin to his Yang in the midfield.
westhamerica

Location: Watching the Mexican maestro Luis Montes on Univision

Postby Gerblatz on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Half way through a campaign and he looks like he needs a rest already...when the chips are down the rest of the team need an inspirational leader; not seeing that in Nolan recently...something appears to be amiss with him. Spent too much time talking a good game without producing it when it matters. No more bull **** Kevin; time to step up.
Gerblatz

Postby baritalia on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:31 pm

One last question - why the fûck does he need to change the boots at least once during the game every single week?
baritalia

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:33 pm

baritalia wrote:One last question - why the fûck does he need to change the boots at least once during the game every single week?

So he can receive tactical instructions?
bubbles1966

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion