Two out of the three [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Your preferred central defensive pairing...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:32 am

James Tomkins & Winston Reid
36%
James Tomkins & Abdoulaye Faye
61%
Abdoulaye Faye & Winston Reid
3%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 238

WestHamIFC

Re: Two out of the three [POLL]

Post by WestHamIFC »

Maefteda wrote:...use Faye in those tough games were we need to be secure at the back.
:lol:

Please do share a list of fixtures where this isn't the case (obviously Aldershot not being one of them..).
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

westhamerica wrote:Winston...never was as bad as most made him out to be last season, but not as good as most are making him out to be this. Tomka & Faye.
Under the right management (sam) Reid could be a top center half. He has it all
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

I voted Tomka / Reid for the future so they gain from playing together for a year, but am more than happy for Faye to come in.
What a great problem for Big Sam to have. :thup:
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Reid has played well - but Tomkins and Faye are better. IMO
Gerblatz
Has liked: 70 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by Gerblatz »

Reid and Tomkins for me; Faye was excellent Saturday, but I see his role in the 3 as mentor to the other 2; he certainly leads by example and the pair of them can't fail to learn from his no nonsense style of play. In a long season, all 3 will be playing a part, but Reid and Tomkins are, as already mentioned, the longer term future and if they keep improving together, are going to be some CB pairing.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Doc H Ball wrote:Reid and Tommo for me. They started the season and haven't done anything wrong so they should keep their places.

The bigger question is which 4/5 midfielders?
I am waiting to see a game where at least two or more of the midfield play well at the same time. Forest and Watford (second half) are the only games I can think of where the midfield actually contributed as a unit.

4-5-1 wouldn't look half as bad if all our midfield played to their potential.
westhamerica
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by westhamerica »

Yea Why Not wrote:Under the right management (sam) Reid could be a top center half. He has it all
Don't get me wrong, I was a fan of Winston early on...but I have questions about his mobility/quickness to even consider him being a top center half. A bit Shawcross-esque is the best way to describe it?
jtsharpie
Location: In deepest, darkest spud country. Escape to the BML most weekends.

Post by jtsharpie »

Winston is looking a lot more sure of himself but we are playing in a lower league. Definitley think he is a good back up but Faye looked immense on Saturday. Reads the game superbly and is built like a brick sh***house. No one will be bullying us when he is in the team.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

westhamerica wrote:Don't get me wrong, I was a fan of Winston early on...but I have questions about his mobility/quickness to even consider him being a top center half. A bit Shawcross-esque is the best way to describe it?
I have no concerns over his mobility to be honest and some of the best center halves to grace the planet over the last 20 years have not been particularly quick. Saying that, I think Reid is quick. I'd probably say he's quicker than Tomkins
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

jtsharpie wrote:Winston is looking a lot more sure of himself but we are playing in a lower league.
Its not the league, its the manager
Definitely think he is a good back up but Faye looked immense on Saturday. Reads the game superbly and is built like a brick sh***house. No one will be bullying us when he is in the team
He looked very overweight to me. Especially noticed when he went to ground. You could tell by the way he got up that he needed to shed a few pounds.
I guess i'm just pretty pissed off that so many people are suggesting breaking what has been an excellent partnership this season on the back of one good game from Faye against awful opporsition. Reid and Tomkins all day for me with Faye as back up
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

It's silly to read too much into it, but we haven't scored from open play in the last 3 games Faye has started in... :think:
Tomkins and Reid!