Two out of the three [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Your preferred central defensive pairing...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:32 am

James Tomkins & Winston Reid
36%
James Tomkins & Abdoulaye Faye
61%
Abdoulaye Faye & Winston Reid
3%
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 238

Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Two out of the three [POLL]

Post by Yea Why Not »

Tomkins, Reid, Faye

The past few seasons we have had no consistency in our back line and because of that (a long with other obvious issues) we have been piss poor defensively. We should be looking at building a solid relationship this season between two of our center halves. Question is, what two?

Tomkins & Reid for me. As well as Faye played at the weekend these two could be our first choice center halves for years to come...
Matt of iron

Re: 2 out of the 3

Post by Matt of iron »

Faye and Tomkins.

I really like Reid but I think Faye has everything Reid does with a bit more composure on the ball.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Faye has to continue starting he has come in and done well, we were crying out for a Faye last year against Zigic, Davies and others, we had Da Costa who was good in the air but positionaly was clueless.
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

Would be harsh to drop Reid, he has played very well. Faye will have to revert back to the bench for now. Got to send out the right message.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

It's a tough one. I think logically Tomkins has to be one of them - he's been our best player full-stop let alone best defender (although by the sounds of it he was getting torn a new one against Millwall before he came off).

So the second spot has to be between Reid & Faye. I assume the intention was always for Faye to be first choice when they bought him but a combination of a slow road to full fitness and some strong performances from Reid have kept him out until now, but I think the first choice pairing going forward is LIKELY to be Tomkins/Faye, particularly after hearing how glowingly Sam spoke about Faye post-match.

What I would PREFER to see personally however is Tomkins/Reid for similar reasons to yours and also just my prejudices towards the idea of young athletic CBs rather than veteran bruisers. I doubt such aesthetic considerations come into Sam's thinking though, rightfully so
Mr.Miklosko

Post by Mr.Miklosko »

Does it have to be 2 out of 3?

There's a lot of games this season and we so we should be looking to have all 3 playing well with each other, with one able to slot in for the other whether it's down to fatigue, injury or general lapse in form.
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Faye for me was motm on Saturday :thup:
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Are tuck Faye into a DM position, also with O'Brien out wouldn't be that averse to sticking one of them at RB till Demel and Joey return as Faubert has never filled me with confidence in that position.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: Two out of the three

Post by Up the Junction »

It's a quiet Monday morning, let's have a poll.

Apologies for being a little anal YWN by changing your '2' and '3' to 'two' and 'three' :)
Aceface

Re: Two out of the three [POLL]

Post by Aceface »

Given that one out of these 3 has been MOTM more often than not in the matches so far this season, and with the caveat that it's probably not something you want to tinker with too much since the defence has been pretty strong so far this season, I wonder if there's a decent formation where you have all 3 playing across the back at the same time?

One thing I like about that is Tomkins & Reid offer an attacking threat in the box which we could utilise more frequently/confidently knowing Faye was staying home at the back
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

My vote is for Tomkins and Reid. They've not done a whole lot wrong, and I do like the idea of Faye being around to come if needed. We just need to pray to god we don't lose one or two of them with longer term injuries as we'd be shafted.
stubbsy07

Post by stubbsy07 »

Reid has been good - but as players Tomkins and Faye are a class above him in my opinion.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Reid's improvement curve is so steep, Sam must persevere with him.

Good point about three at the back especially as most teams have midfielders now rather than wingers.

(Bit revolutionary though!)
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

irving boleyn wrote:Reid's improvement curve is so steep, Sam must persevere with him.
Exactly how I see it. Reid & Tomkins have potential to be a top partnership for years to come whereas Faye simply won't cut it in the Premiership next season (if we get there)
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

It's a nice problem to have. From what I've seen of Tomkins & Reid, I think there's enough there to give them the chance to form a partnership. We shouldn't be afraid to mix it up though. If we're playing two games a week for a spell, fatigue will be an issue. Nothing wrong with slotting in the fresh man as and when required.
Aceface

Post by Aceface »

Matt of iron wrote:Faye and Tomkins.

I really like Reid but I think Faye has everything Reid does with a bit more composure on the ball.
I think this is true at the present time, but then I would have said the same thing when comparing Faye to Tomkins at this point last season. A season of regular football later, and I'd now suggest Tomkins is the superior footballer.

I think Reid is essentially a year behind Tomkins in his development. For Reid last season, see Tomkins' 2009/2010 - ungainly, in and out of the team, some pretty shaky performances, but a few glimpses of talent. Reid this season is more like the Tomkins of last season - very much improved, earning his place in the team but still not the finished article. If we're lucky, another season and he'll be playing at the level of Tomkins of this season with the added composure that only comes with being played regularly. Given CBs as a rule peak later than other positions, all things going well it would be nice to think we'd have a proper long-term partnership at that point.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Faye, Reid and Tomkins as a back three, playing 3-5-2.

I went for Reid and Tomkins.
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

Reid and Tomkins...done enough to keep their places.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Reid and Tomkins would be my starters .Faye did well on Saturday - although you might question the calibre of opposition , but I like CB partnerships and the younger two have more chance of staying fit and lasting a long-ish season .
Tarbs
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Tarbs »

I hope people are not picking Faye having not seen Reid's preformances this season. Reid has looked far better than last year.