Rangers in administration (Non WHU)

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Rangers in administration (Non WHU)

Postby Antwerp_Lad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:07 pm

sendô wrote:Plus Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham playing in the English league despite being registered with the Welsh FA.

I'm still surprised that when Rangers were reformed and told they would have to start again at the bottom of the SFL they didn't try harder to get into the bottom of the English league system.

Probably because they weren't reformed and they still have the SFA license. :wink:

Swansea, Cardiff and Wrexham (And Newport) joined the Football League because back then it wasn't just an English competition, as far as I know.

They were later offered the chance to compete in the Welsh league but refused due to money and opposition.
If I'm correct this also means they can not enter European competitions for either England or Wales.
Antwerp_Lad

Postby Happyhammer52 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 pm

Charles Green is a fud.
Happyhammer52

Postby Antwerp_Lad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Happyhammer52 wrote:Charles Green is a fud.

1. He says part of the season is now meaningless.

Which is correct, as the rest of the season will have absolutely no meaning to whatever happens next season.

2. He says it's a joke that nobody consulted not just Rangers, but the fans (whatever happened to 'sporting integrity' ?).

Correct.

3. His only comment regarding playing outside of Scotland was in response to a question by a journalist, and he merely commented that it's not an option right now but maybe in the future (as has been mentioned by Celtic and Rangers alike for years now).

What a fud. 8-)
Antwerp_Lad

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Antwerp_Lad wrote:1. He says part of the season is now meaningless.

Which is correct, as the rest of the season will have absolutely no meaning to whatever happens next season.
And if they kept things as they are and get promotion they'll still be playing in the 3rd level next season - the same as the new proposals.

Antwerp_Lad wrote:2. He says it's a joke that nobody consulted not just Rangers, but the fans (whatever happened to 'sporting integrity' ?).
They didn't consult Rangers because they are a brand new club and are only an Associate Member of the SFL and therefore don't have any voting rights for 3 years.

Antwerp_Lad wrote:3. His only comment regarding playing outside of Scotland was in response to a question by a journalist, and he merely commented that it's not an option right now but maybe in the future (as has been mentioned by Celtic and Rangers alike for years now).
He spent quite a bit of time this morning on talksport talking about the options of playing outside of Scotland!

What a fud. 8-)
Wembley1966

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:28 pm

^^^^^ What realistic options did he mention?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:36 pm

^^^ None!

But he tried to say that as UEFA are agreeing to a cross border league for women in Belgium and Holland then perhaps the Conference could be a possibility. Looks like he's now fighting for sexual equality as well! Oh - and if they can't play then the Welsh need to play with themselves as well.

At least he didn't say the Premier this time - last time he said that the Premier would welcome the opportunity for them to join, Man Utd immediately came out and said that they wouldn't be welcome!

Edit - I was joking about the sexual equality but apparently not:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/green-rangers-could-use-sex-discrimination-laws-to-sue-uefa.1357906317

Green: Rangers could use sex discrimination laws to sue UEFA

Rangers chief executive Charles Green claims he could use sex discrimination laws to sue UEFA if they try to block the club's moves to join a cross-border league.
Green has vowed to look into ways of taking Rangers out of Scottish football following the announcement of a new 12-18-18 league set-up - drawn up by the Scottish Premier League and Scottish Football League in conjunction with the Scottish Football Association - that would keep the Light Blues in Scotland's basement tier, even if they go on to win this season's Third Division title.
And the Ibrox chief believes he has precedent on his side when he claims the club should be granted access to leagues in other countries.
He told TalkSport: "As the structures stand now, there are not many options. But I'm not one for hiding my light behind a bushel.
"People say you can't go into England because you are not allowed cross-borders (leagues).
"Well there is now a cross-border (league). You have a UEFA-sanctioned professional women's league in Belgium and Holland, so we have a precedent there.
"If there was an opportunity to join a cross-border league and that was challenged by UEFA, I would go to Strasbourg and challenge the sexual equality."
Wembley1966

Postby Antwerp_Lad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:57 pm

Nowhere did he mean anything like that, he simply pointed out that a cross-country league already existed in women's football so there's a precedent.

The man has a knack for saying things like that sexual equality thing to get a response from certain people, do you honestly believe he'll take on UEFA in court for something so trivial ?

The main reason why he is kicking up such a fuss is to get as much attention to this proposal as possible, and possibly gather support against what is in essence a ridiculous reform.

Good to see you're still waffling on about that new club b*llocks though.
You know, despite the ECA clearly stating it's not.

I just wish he would shut up about moving to England, it won't happen.
Antwerp_Lad

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:28 pm

Antwerp_Lad wrote:Good to see you're still waffling on about that new club b*llocks though.
You know, despite the ECA clearly stating it's not.

Unfortunately the ECA doesn't set any regulations.

So what's the reason that Rangers are not eligible to play in Europe for 3 years - even if they were to qualify through winning a cup?

UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations Edition 2010

Article 12 – Definition of licence applicant
    1 A licence applicant may only be a football club, i.e. a legal entity fully responsible
    for a football team participating in national and international competitions which
    either:
      a) is a registered member of a UEFA member association and/or its affiliated
      league (hereinafter: registered member); or
      b) has a contractual relationship with a registered member (hereinafter: football
      company).
    2 The membership and the contractual relationship (if any) must have lasted – at
    the start of the licence season – for at least three consecutive years.
    Any
    alteration to the club’s legal form or company structure (including, for example,
    changing its headquarters, name or club colours, or transferring stakeholdings
    between different clubs) during this period in order to facilitate its qualification on
    sporting merit and/or its receipt of a licence to the detriment of the integrity of a
    competition is deemed as an interruption of membership or contractual
    relationship (if any) within the meaning of this provision.
Wembley1966

Postby Antwerp_Lad on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Maybe you should have highlighted the part below the one you put in bold ;)

It's simple: The company does not have 3 years of accounts, that has no bearing on the club history (which I'm sure has been repeated ad infinitum on here).
Antwerp_Lad

Postby York Ham(mer) on Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm

If it's not a new club then no doubt they'll be paying the £21m unpaid tax to HMRC and the scores of other creditors left unpaid.

So Charles Green made a statement today about suing Uefa using sex discrimination laws. You couldn't make it up. Beyond satire. He's turning Rangers into a laughing stock, a joke club.
York Ham(mer)

Postby Teddybear Hammer on Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:02 pm

beckton wrote:I'd suggest they go play on the moon but there'd be no atmosphere at games.

Be like playing at Parkhead then
Teddybear Hammer

Postby Billy_Boy on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 am

Antwerp_Lad wrote: do you honestly believe he'll take on UEFA in court for something so trivial ?

People probably said that of Bosman.

I can understand his policy, though. Drum up a load of publicity for a fourth tier Scottish league club who won't be playing in the top tier until August 2015 at the earliest. What does he stand to lose?

With regards to cross border leagues, they'd probably take Conference North over their current position and, ultimately, Scottish football needs them more than Rangers (and Celtic) needs it. Take the Old Firm out of the equation, and what are you really left with? The gulf between SPL and PL is greater now than it has been for longer than I can remember.

IMHO, it's the TV money that will ultimately flex its muscles if it wants to. I really wouldn't be surprised to see Celtic and/or Rangers playing in an English league within 15 years.
Billy_Boy

Postby evomutant on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 am

I wouldn't mind them playing in England on the proviso they did what every other new club does, and start at the bottom.

Well organized new senior teams in recent years (FC United, AFC Wimbledon) have been granted acess to Level 10 of the pyramid. The closest level 10 league to Glasgow is the Northern League division 2, where they could play such interesting names as Seaham Red Star, Rythorpe Colliery Welfare and of course the unmissable clash against Celtic- West Allotment Celtic.
evomutant

Postby Antwerp_Lad on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:55 pm

York Ham(mer) wrote:If it's not a new club then no doubt they'll be paying the £21m unpaid tax to HMRC and the scores of other creditors left unpaid.

Since the old company is about to be liquidated I highly doubt so.
And it could have been so different, had HMRC not refused a CVA and thereby squandered their own chances of seeing at least a portion of the money.

As for other creditors: You mean how the club has now fully paid all clubs it owed money to ?
Antwerp_Lad

Postby Happyhammer52 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:40 pm

Happyhammer52

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:07 pm

At least there was one realistic post in the otherwise tragic thread.

Why does Scottish Football still think England wants to get them out of the stinking mess they have created?
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby Happyhammer52 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:44 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:At least there was one realistic post in the otherwise tragic thread.

Why does Scottish Football still think England wants to get them out of the stinking mess they have created?

Hold up, New Firm fans believe they do. The general Scottish football fan sits back and laughs. There was a poll recently on Pie & Bovril (forum for fans of all Scottish Clubs) which asked would you be happy if your team went part time if it meant losing the New Firm. Over 80% said yes.
Happyhammer52

Postby Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:51 pm

Fair point. I suppose I'm as guilty as anybody in equating the [s]Old[/s] New Firm with Scottish football.

Shame the strikethrough tags don't work.
Johnny Byrne's Boots

Postby dub on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:At least there was one realistic post in the otherwise tragic thread.

At a guess I think teh powers that be would rather have Celtic and Rangers than Wigan, Fulham, Norwich, Swansea ( and maybe a few others) due to the potential audience and the size of their fan bases etc...not saying it will happen, but if you are looking for a reason that that may be one.

Likewise if they ( the suits) could cherry pick clubs to join the PL then Leeds would be in ahead of the likes of Reading.

Football will change soon enough, the current model even in England is flawed with clubs who fall out of the PL being basket cases within a few seasons
dub

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:25 am

dub wrote:At a guess I think teh powers that be would rather have Celtic and Rangers than Wigan, Fulham, Norwich, Swansea ( and maybe a few others) due to the potential audience and the size of their fan bases etc...not saying it will happen, but if you are looking for a reason that that may be one.

Depends which "suits" you mean, Sky do very nicely from Scottish fans buying tv packages anyway, so no gain for them - except Scottish TV rights would become even cheaper without the old firm.

I honestly don't think the English Leagues or English club owners would want them. There might be some extra income, but most away allocations sell pretty well (in the PL anyway), but there would be an increased cost of policing etc. Where is the gain for English clubs?
Hampshire Hammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion