Big Sam. Do you love him yet?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Big Sam. Do you love him yet?

Postby Kentammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:59 pm

Not speculating in the slightest re: Big Sam but worth highlighting this. Sound familiar?

Huddersfield Town chairman Dean Hoyle on Simon Grayson's sacking: "After exceeding all our expectations in the early part of the season, our results and performances as a team and from individual players have tailed off alarmingly. Worsening displays have accompanied a run of just six points and no wins from the last 12 league games, including some very heavy defeats, culminating at Watford last Saturday.

"Whilst we would all have hoped for even some modest signs of improvement to begin to emerge as the weeks have passed that has not been the case. This has made the position untenable. We will now seek to recruit a new first team manager who can, in the short term, lead and reinvigorate the team and players for the remainder of this season and also drive us forward towards our long term aims."
Kentammer

Postby Turns to Stone on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:16 pm

Kentammer wrote:
Huddersfield Town chairman Dean Hoyle on Simon Grayson's sacking: "After exceeding all our expectations in the early part of the season, our results and performances as a team and from individual players have tailed off alarmingly. Worsening displays have accompanied a run of just six points and no wins from the last 12 league games, including some very heavy defeats, culminating at Watford last Saturday.

"Whilst we would all have hoped for even some modest signs of improvement to begin to emerge as the weeks have passed that has not been the case. This has made the position untenable. We will now seek to recruit a new first team manager who can, in the short term, lead and reinvigorate the team and players for the remainder of this season and also drive us forward towards our long term aims

In comparitive terms though, and by 2nd and 3rd tier standards, Huddersfield Town have invested a lot of money in the first team. Whilst it may seem that we have spent a lot of money this season, the reality is that over the last 5 years, we've spent peanuts. In the Premier League, you need to spend £20m a year just to stand still!

Compare our spending to that of Southampton, Stoke, Villa, QPR, Sunderland and Newcastle over the last 4 or 5 seasons and I would imagine that it would make pretty impecunious reading.
Turns to Stone

Postby Kentammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:19 pm

Oh yeah, I agree completely - just pointing out the eerily familiar circumstances.
Kentammer

Re: How long has Big Sam got? (Kneejerk)

Postby carnage on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 pm

the wren wrote:carnage

"its irrelevant how well he plays."

Go on?

Sam didnt want him so he should not have been signed, end of story.

Curbs walked and sued the Club for similar....
carnage

Postby smuts on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 pm

He got us up and got us off to a cracking start this season. That's enough for me at the moment.

I do worry that the wheels are falling off though and we are in relegation form.

Despite Karren bragging to the Sun that we done our business early, we still look massively light in certain areas and Sully foisting 28 year old Brazilians with "raw talent" on Sam worries me slightly.

I hope the board give him at least a bit of cash to spend in the next few days to give the team a lift.....a LB and a different type of striker to play off Chamakh/Cole/Carroll would be nice for when we go a goal or two down rather than just taking off big Striker A and putting on big Striker B..................
smuts

Postby smuts on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:00 pm

carnage wrote:
Sam didnt want him so he should not have been signed, end of story.

Curbs walked and sued the Club for similar....

"Raw Talent" Wellington isn't Wally Lopez with a hair cut? :think:
smuts

Postby miles on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:03 pm

carnage wrote:Curbs walked and sued the Club for similar....

Wait til Fatty gets a couple of first team defenders sold without his permission first eh.

This site. :lol:
miles
This site...

Postby Mike420 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:04 pm

I do think the 4-5-1 formation relies on a mobile midfield. With Diame just coming back and Nolan blowing out of his arse, we've struggled. You need central midfielders to run on past the big man striker and wingers to get down the wing and pull defenders out of position. I wouldn't say our wingers have been firing on all cylinders. I do think we limit ourselves in the striking dept as has been mentioned. A Remy type striker to stay on the last man would mix things up and make us less predictable.
Mike420

Location: self-appointed 'ITK' auditor & CFC credit rating analyst

Postby bristolhammerfc on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:27 pm

Where is the evidence that Sam didn't want Wellington?
bristolhammerfc

Postby Willtelll on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 am

bristolhammerfc wrote:Where is the evidence that Sam didn't want Wellington?

I first read about it on the transfer thread from a tweet by WHUFC_News then someone called chalks repeated it as if it was gospel on this thread.....

Yup no evidence unless people are prepared to believe what they read on Twitter - a latter day worse version of the Star, Sun or Daily Mail....

"Re: The January 2013 transfer window
by HamburgHammer on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Just read (on Twitter though, WHUFC_News) that Wellington Paulista is a pure Sullivan signing, Big Sam explicitly rejected him, so he will most probably be a bench player. How stupid is that ?"
Willtelll

Postby Pop Robson on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:55 am

BFS on the boot (wellington not getting the sack)

“There will be an introduction at some stage and I think starting off the bench somewhere along the line in the near future,” said Allardyce.

“Who knows how long he will take to be ready - I could toss a coin on that one.

“Some can come straight in and do it, some never do it at all, and some do it a bit later on.”

Sounds like we'l never see him
Pop Robson

Postby Trevor Montana on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:02 pm

Its hardly a great surprise to find out that Sullivan has a fetish for Brazilians
Trevor Montana

Postby Lil Joe 17 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:37 pm

the wren wrote: Jose! Which one are you?

Hello.
Lil Joe 17

Postby Willtelll on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Mike420 wrote:I do think the 4-5-1 formation relies on a mobile midfield. With Diame just coming back and Nolan blowing out of his arse, we've struggled. You need central midfielders to run on past the big man striker and wingers to get down the wing and pull defenders out of position. I wouldn't say our wingers have been firing on all cylinders. I do think we limit ourselves in the striking dept as has been mentioned. A Remy type striker to stay on the last man would mix things up and make us less predictable.

I'm not sure what you mean by a mobile midfield Mike because every midfield player is mobile. I sometimes wish they would be less mobile by holding their positions protect our defenders.

The real trouble for me is that I don't think Nolan is a good enough second striker and that is what we mainly have going wrong with our game plan. I also think we have better midfielders and a potential leader on the field in Diarra. Diarra is a giant among men and a leader par extraordinaire.

Diarra was the captain of France last year before his injury and has 44 caps! As he is 32 next July and wants his captaincy back for France, then I understand why he is upset at BFS. It's rather like us signing Beckham at his peak and making him fight for his place.

Diarra is a superb Defensive Midfielder and should start every game alongside Noble. I would then give the 3 striker support roles to Diame, Joe Cole and Mat Jarvis as our first choice.

Nolan has to go before we can make any significant improvement in the team imho.

BFS has to draw a line under the loyalty he shows Nolan.
Willtelll

Postby Hockley Hammer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:14 pm

If Nolan is our second striker, how does he do so much defensive work and organising in midfield.

He starts lots of moves from deep and is often found sitting in front of the back four, could this added responsility be the reason the goals have dried up.

His instinct when we go forward is to get into the danger zone, the goals went earlier in the season, at the moment his shots are blocked or go wide.

That is why I think to say we carry Nolan is laughable. He does not have pace certainly, like most of our midfield though.

We could pick a more creative midfield without him, we could pick a faster midfield without him, but unless the forward line is dramatically improved I don't think it would make much difference.
Hockley Hammer

Postby chalks on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Pop Robson wrote:

Theres a very good reason why..............
chalks
Sliding down his pole

Postby Willtelll on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:20 pm

Hockley Hammer wrote:If Nolan is our second striker, how does he do so much defensive work and organising in midfield.

He starts lots of moves from deep and is often found sitting in front of the back four, could this added responsility be the reason the goals have dried up.

His instinct when we go forward is to get into the danger zone, the goals went earlier in the season, at the moment his shots are blocked or go wide.

That is why I think to say we carry Nolan is laughable. He does not have pace certainly, like most of our midfield though.

We could pick a more creative midfield without him, we could pick a faster midfield without him, but unless the forward line is dramatically improved I don't think it would make much difference.

I take your point but that's why BFS loves KN and this thread is about BFS. At the beginning KN was an asset to him. Early this season he was again our biggest asset.

Now he's been sussed by other managers who set out their defenders to pick him up and ensure he isn't ghosting in. So he drops deeper to help out but, in the last few games I keep seeing him give away 2 or 3 free kicks in dangerous areas and 2 or 3 key bad passes that gives away possession and exposes us to counter attacks.

I am not quoting stats just what I notice but he tends to look for Noble to give the ball to rather than set up attacks on his own

I think BFS's loyalty to KN is endangering his relationship with the fans frankly...
Willtelll

Postby Rocketron on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:59 pm

chalks wrote:
Theres a very good reason why..............

Come on then chalks.
I've been a member of this site long enough to know that you know a lot more than most, but these little teasers are a pain in the arse.
Rocketron

Postby ageing hammer on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Pop Robson wrote:BFS on the boot (wellington not getting the sack)

“There will be an introduction at some stage and I think starting off the bench somewhere along the line in the near future,” said Allardyce.

“Who knows how long he will take to be ready - I could toss a coin on that one.

“Some can come straight in and do it, some never do it at all, and some do it a bit later on.”

How can a pro footballer come from playing in a different league and NOT injured take so long to get fit. How did he lose his fitness.
ageing hammer

Postby westlondonhammer on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:44 am

Willtelll wrote:Now he's been sussed by other managers who set out their defenders to pick him up and ensure he isn't ghosting in.

He has spent 2 seasons outside the premiership in the last decade (or so).

Managers are not just sussing him out, if they are, they are ****ing stupid and late to following the premiership. He has always been about the same thing.

However one thing you are right about... since the team is struggling and under pressure he is dropping deeper to try to help the midfield and backline, which is why people are giving him such a bashing, because he spends less time in dangerous positions where people want to see him.

Against Arsenal in the first half you could see him making sure the midfield kept their shape when Arsenal were attacking, which is why they were restricted to only one wonder goal from distance. Without making much impact on the ball (apart from doing the simple stuff right) he was doing a vital job off the ball that will always get ignored.

What we lacked against Arsenal was someone in the backline doing the same, which is why when they scored in the second half our backline lost their shape completely and decided to move up the pitch and play suicide football. Diarra changed that when he came on (and so is a possible contender to start against Fulham so we have that sort of leadership).

Either way, against Fulham we will see a similar Nolan because we need to protect a point...we might not see the attacking Nolan (that will need to come from whoever plays on the wing supporting whoever starts up top) and so after the game we will again hear a lot of 'Nolan does nothing and needs to be dropped', 'Nolan just doesn't look like scoring and is a passenger', 'BFS will never drop Nolan because he is his favourite' etc again.
westlondonhammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion