Big Sam. Do you love him yet?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: How long has Big Sam got? (Kneejerk)

Postby New Jersey on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:52 am

Really don't understand how people are complaining. First season back in the Premiership, we haven't been close to the relegation zone, and even after a bad run of form, we are still 12th. So we got tonked tonight, first time this season, it happens. We also beat Chelsea 3-1 and everyone was talking about Europe.

Big Sam's football might not be the prettiest, but we have become a hard team to beat (apart from tonight). Let's have a couple of seasons of being mid-table, become an established Premiership side, then look to crack on when we get in the OS. Big Sam is the man to do this, he's done it before.
New Jersey

Postby ShanghaiHammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:13 am

As the poster said, he was playing devil's advocate.

And the answer is clearly no. It is a miracle we are getting any points with this squad. We have maybe two, maybe three real top-league-quality players, and don't forget that there needs to be 11 players in a football team.

Therefore the vast majority of our starting 11 being reasonably gash isn't the managers fault, with the budget and time that he has had.

And if anyone is thinking (as someone actually did write and tried to argue last week on here) something like 'but why didn't we buy Michu or Hernandez', then you need to re-assess your life.
ShanghaiHammer

Postby KernowHammer8 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:42 am

I was thinking about Sam's contract the other day. Wondering if the Daves had their eye on someone.

I reckon they are looking at Roberto Martinez if Wigan go down, or even if they dont?

Shrewd in the transfer market and very loyal. Also plays lovely football.

I can dream....
KernowHammer8

Postby speculator on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:13 am

I don't think he's going anywhere. I still feel we have not seen the best of this team yet. When they are all back from injury we will definitely go on a run. We still have not had Carroll together with Joe Cole and Jarvis. He does make what seems weird decisions at times but only he knows the fitness of the players.
speculator

Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Postby Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:50 am

Erm....
I reckon they are looking at Roberto Martinez if Wigan go down
- so he's not that ****ing good then is he :fsake:

Stability is the key........sign Sam up for as long as he wants
Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus

Postby richneal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:23 am

Think it boils down to our opinion on the state of things generally, ie. are our results & performances this season due to 1) BFS's incompetence or 2) the generally (comparative) crap state of many of our players. I'd argue that it's impossible to separate the two, but that's what we're doing here.

Now, I am absolutely no fan of the gaffer, but I think that so far this season, he's got West Ham punching above our weight points-wise and results-wise. Performance-wise it's been bloody awful at times, often very ugly and painful to watch. But, we've also seen a few games of cracking football, esp. earlier in the season.

I'd also argue that our better results have been due to a fair amount of luck, but the luck's run out recently, hence the apparent lack of good form. Regressing to the mean and all that.

But really, what can we expect? We've assembled a team on a comparative shoestring budget. I certainly never thought of Allardyce as a manager who produced attacking teams playing in the style I'd like to watch - that was certainly true last season, and remains true this season as well. Not saying I'm happy with things the way they are, but I had - and still have - fairly low expectations for this season and next.
richneal

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.

Postby Bergen Hammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:37 am

KernowHammer8 wrote:I was thinking about Sam's contract the other day. Wondering if the Daves had their eye on someone.

I reckon they are looking at Roberto Martinez if Wigan go down, or even if they dont?

Shrewd in the transfer market and very loyal. Also plays lovely football.

I can dream....

Would be the manager I'd go for no doubt, but would need time to get it working and im not sure he'd get it tbf.
Bergen Hammer

Postby shammy on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:47 am

Would be the manager I'd go for no doubt, but would need time to get it working and im not sure he'd get it tbf.

Yes always impressed with a manager who comes 4th from bottom every year.
shammy

Postby Bergen Hammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:06 am

But he does that in style :wink:
Bergen Hammer

Re: Big Sam. Do you love him yet?

Postby RM6 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:54 am

We're on a bad run off form at a time when we have had quite a few injuries to big players.

We're not in a position to far away from Newcastle. I trust Allardyce to be able to fix it, while I know Pardew is f*cked.
RM6

Postby Knaphill on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 am

Until his "new" contract runs out, I can't see him leaving at the end of the season, nor can I see The Daves not signing him to a new deal before the end of the season.

Sam's been busy extending all the players deals which suggests he's already planning for next season and beyond.
Knaphill

Postby Rays Rock on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:27 am

He's mid to late fifties now, so if he looks after himself and controls his weight, he could go on another 30 years.
Rays Rock

Postby chalks on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:38 am

He'd be able to do his job better if he was allowed to decide on all transfers

Sullivan, hang your head in shame re Paulista
chalks
Sliding down his pole

Postby Marky on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:46 am

chalks wrote:He'd be able to do his job better if he was allowed to decide on all transfers

Sullivan, hang your head in shame re Paulista

Thats a very good point Chalks.

Paulista is a moronic signing
Marky

Postby Denbighammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:52 am

Usual rubbish from the OP.
Denbighammer

Postby carnage on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:06 am

3 points off 10th. What is going on?
carnage

Postby PrawnSandwich on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:12 am

Redknapp?
:lol:
PrawnSandwich

Postby JBs Caravan on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:18 am

I certainly would not wish to challenge my skills and strengths against the 2 Daves,Good Luck
JBs Caravan

Postby bristolhammerfc on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:24 am

We are finding our level. We have overachieved so far with a championship side and injuries are playing a part.

The manger is doing his job. He has done a better job this season than Hughes, Lambert and others with a far larger budget.
bristolhammerfc

Postby bobd_uk on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:25 am

baritalia wrote:Wrong starting lineup, wrong substitutions. Onto the next one, it wasn't realistic to expect anything from this anyway.

I think blaming the substitutions is a bit OTT. We were 5-1 down before we made them!
bobd_uk

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion