Big Sam. Do you love him yet?

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: How long has Big Sam got? (Kneejerk)

Postby Willtelll on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 am

Simon McFarland wrote:He'll be gone by the end of the season - something has to be said about the club not progressing contract talks with him? surely if he was seen as the man to lead us to a bright claret and blue future this would be a priority for G&S?

My personal opinion is that i bet Redknapp has a clause that means he can leave QPR if they go down ,and if that happens i would give my left nut to have him back.

b*ll*cks to all the Conjecture surrounding Billy Bonds and all that, when Harry was in charge , he helped assemble one of the best teams we have ever had and say what you like , i still feel he has a love for the club, isn't that what we need? I for one was a happy hammer when was in charge i dont think ive been a happy hammer since.

:crest:

I completely agree with everything you've said about Harry Redknapp. Except the bit about having him back.

I hate the universal 4-5-1.
I don't think Nolan is any good except as a captain.
I hate hearing the regular "we are skint" messages from G&S.
I hate going to Arsenal with a poor game plan and a second eleven.
I hate the way we rarely score from set pieces.
I hate the way we are regularly beaten by set pieces.
I hate the way all of our defenders are regularly turned.
I hate our ball into the lone striker tactic.

But BFS deserves another 2 years unless the 2 Daves are about to sign Jose Mourinho in which case roll on next season....
Willtelll

Re: Big Sam. Do you love him yet?

Postby ageing hammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:38 am

York Ham(mer) wrote:We've been beaten by a better team. Get over it.

This the most sensible post of the season. :clap:
ageing hammer

Postby Coops on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:40 am

What an embarrassing thread.
You do realise supporters from other teams read this board don't you?
Have some backbone.
Coops

Postby fmgod on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 am

Quite a while, we're 12th and our home form will keep us up on it's own.
fmgod

Postby Coops on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:46 am

I think we still on for a 14th place finish, which will be amazing with this squad in our first season back and all but the most deluded fans would have grasped with both hands at the start of the season.
Coops

Postby snooperpooper on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:28 am

This is the great thing about these forums everyone has an opinion and is allowed to have their opinion and have to be prepared to have those opinions challenged. So here's mine!

At the end of the day we are all fans, we don't have the money to buy the club (and if we did would we really have bought WHUFC) so respect the owners for keeping our club alive. None of us have the qualifications to manage this club (although some probably believe they do) so respect Sam as being the choice of very astute businessmen who have entrusted him to protect their investment.

Some on here seem to think the owners should throw their money at this club/transfers regardless (in fact they are by servicing the debt) but what we should all appreciate is the fantastic job they and Sam are doing whilst ensuring the future well-being of this great club.

Sam is doing a fantastic job with limited resources, promotion at the first time of asking, mid-table the first season back in the Prem and we'll finish there and probably the best spirit and attitude the team has had for seasons. Even after last night we know they'll be back out and fighting at the weekend!

I think Sam has done and is doing a fantastic job at a time when our owners are rightly championing financial rigour in football, they've set out a future strategy for our club that is achievable and exciting and I believe they see Sam as the man to take the team forward to deliver it.

If they believe then so do I and I think time will bear the belief out.

Keep up the good work Sam :crest:
snooperpooper

Postby Neil Orr fan club on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:34 pm

All very well and good and would be the first to admit hes doing a good job overall

Unless there is more to it cannot understand the team selection last night - we have no game saturday and according to BFS it was our best performance of tHE season against QPR - Why change it ? Did he really expect Vaz Te , Collison and Taylor to do a better job than Diame , Cole and Jarvis

Have a similar gripe about weakened teams in the cup comps - we have no european football and looked comfortable ( not so sure now ) at the time of those games
Neil Orr fan club

Postby Doc H Ball on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 pm

Neil Orr fan club wrote: Why change it ?

He's a pragmatist.

They make good wives but lousy lovers.
Doc H Ball

Postby westlondonhammer on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:44 pm

Neil Orr fan club wrote:All very well and good and would be the first to admit hes doing a good job overall

Unless there is more to it cannot understand the team selection last night - we have no game saturday and according to BFS it was our best performance of tHE season against QPR - Why change it ? Did he really expect Vaz Te , Collison and Taylor to do a better job than Diame , Cole and Jarvis

Have a similar gripe about weakened teams in the cup comps - we have no european football and looked comfortable ( not so sure now ) at the time of those games

...because some of our players were carrying knocks meaning they were not fully match fit.

This was confirmed by Jack Sullivan prior to kick off... given Diarra and Diame's reported lack of commitment (I wouldn't be surprised if they were dropped due to their/their agents comments), it would suggest to me that those players were Cole and Jarvis.

I think Sam put out the best team he had available and then filled the bench with whoever he could (even if they weren't 100%)
westlondonhammer

Postby Turns to Stone on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:55 pm

Team selection comments do frustrate me a little bit after the event. We all know that most of our players have featured in every single game we've played this season. Last year Carlton probably featured less in the Championship than he has this year, and I would imagine that Allardyce being as clued up as he is to players fitness was well aware that some of our players who needed a rest could get one.

Possibly the wrong game to do it, but the last time he rested Diame, he came on at half-time against Chelsea and won us the game. I didn't hear too many complaining about selection that night. The facts are that we have a very, very thin squad. Which is pretty unsurprising considering the fact that we were the last team to gain promotion from teh Championship last year. We're still overperforming this season, and whilst I'm frustrated by the errors that we have made in defence this year, it's hardly surprising when you are dealing with defenders that have been signed for peanuts or on a freebies. We need to back the manager, and be aware that whilst occasionally we are going to have to take 1 step backwards, this season we have seen the team atually take more than two steps forward. To keep moving forward there has to be stability, and in 2 years under Sam, I've heard and seen nothing to suggest to me that there is someone (who would come) better to do the job at present.

And whilst I will no doubt here shouts of Brian Laudrup or Steve Clarke, those should remember that for every Clarke and Laudrup, there are a hundred Coyle's, Lambert's, Grant's and (hopefully) Potchettini's.
Turns to Stone

Postby uptonparkhurst on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:16 pm

Turns to Stone wrote:And whilst I will no doubt here shouts of Brian Laudrup or Steve Clarke, those should remember that for every Clarke and Laudrup, there are a hundred Coyle's, Lambert's, Grant's and (hopefully) Potchettini's.

Well, Clarke was here (albeit he put out the cones for GFZ) and Laudrup was interviewed and rejected by
the Icelandicks.
It's the WEST HAM WAY, don't you know.. :think:
uptonparkhurst

Location: An Alternate Reality of Evil Spells and worse spelling

Postby the wren on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:39 pm

chalks wrote:He'd be able to do his job better if he was allowed to decide on all transfers

Sullivan, hang your head in shame re Paulista

Have you seen Paulista play yet? No, nor have I. Give the bloke a chance.
the wren

Location: Alpari Upper, complete with view of Barking-Upon-Thames

Postby the wren on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 pm

Coops wrote:What an embarrassing thread.
You do realise supporters from other teams read this board don't you?
Have some backbone.

Tell you what though mate, their some bloody good football managers posting on this site, how they find the time to post and take the training at their top clubs its amazing!!

Jose! Which one are you?
the wren

Postby speculator on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 pm

I notice there was nothing in Sam's letter about team selection. Maybe whoever writes it could check the forums and see what points the fans are raising as there seemed to be universal bewilderment at the team selection, is it asking too much for this to be covered in his letter?
speculator

Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Postby smuts on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:49 pm

the wren wrote:Have you seen Paulista play yet? No, nor have I. Give the bloke a chance.

To be honest, i doubt none of us will.

If Sully foisted him on Sam, then Sam probably won't let him anywhere near the first team.
smuts

Postby Sloop John B on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Turns to Stone wrote:And whilst I will no doubt here shouts of Brian Laudrup or Steve Clarke, those should remember that for every Clarke and Laudrup, there are a hundred Coyle's, Lambert's, Grant's and (hopefully) Potchettini's.

Indeed... Anyone shouting for a Brian Laudrup or a Steve Clarke was more than likely shouting for an Alan Pardew last season and an Owen Coyle the season before that,

We've had a few slaps in the face recently and Allardyce needs to sort it out and get us back on the front foot and start dishing out a few slaps ourselves.

Disappointing results, tactics, and performances... still 100% behind Allardyce and his team.
Sloop John B
The voice of reason

Postby Chicken Run Supreme on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Turns to Stone wrote:We need to back the manager, and be aware that whilst occasionally we are going to have to take 1 step backwards, this season we have seen the team atually take more than two steps forward. To keep moving forward there has to be stability, and in 2 years under Sam, I've heard and seen nothing to suggest to me that there is someone (who would come) better to do the job at present.

Wise words TTS, could not have put it better. Some people need to get a reality check, wise up and smell the fookin coffee.
Last night has been on the cards, it was coming and we could all sense it. It's done now, move on.
Chicken Run Supreme

Postby carnage on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:15 pm

the wren wrote:

Have you seen Paulista play yet? No, nor have I. Give the bloke a chance.

its irrelevant how well he plays.
carnage

Postby the wren on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:27 pm

carnage

"its irrelevant how well he plays."

Go on?
the wren

Postby eastendborn on Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Neil Orr fan club wrote:
"All very well and good and would be the first to admit hes doing a good job overall

Have a similar gripe about weakened teams in the cup comps - we have no european football and looked comfortable ( not so sure now ) at the time of those games"
I'm with you on this mate...unless they were injured- i'd unhesitantly put the 3 you mentioned in first choice in exchange for the other 3 ( Vaz Te- who does nothing much at all- Collison ( one very good shot for a change), and Taylor- who can very often donkey pass- with occasional good cross. Total loss of shape and man marking last night at back- up until then on the first half display- we looked like we could go on to win the game. Weird outcome, was it our back blunders, or Arsenal's deadl attack?
eastendborn

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion