[POLL] 86 or 12?

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

1986 or 2012?

56%
37%
Unsure
6%

Total votes: 171

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

[POLL] 86 or 12?

Post by Up the Junction »

29th March 1986: Chelsea 0-4 West Ham Utd (" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

1st December 2012: West Ham Utd 3-1 Chelsea (" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Two memorable wins over that lot from up west. Which was better, and why?
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Re: [POLL] 86 or 12?

Post by sicknote »

86, think everyone of us there that day saw one of the perfect games of football at the so called business end of the season, and eliminated our opponents from the run in effectively, the goals and manner of the whole 90 minutes was complete control and assurity, at their home as well, it was as good as it gets watching west ham united

yesterday was very good, but nowhere near that, and i'd put the 5 3 game at our place well above yesterdays and the 1 0 di canio one as well in the last home game of the relegation season
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Gone for 2012,

however the DOUBLE in the season of our relegation in 2003 was pretty amazing.. paolos stunning goal

couldnt vote for 86, I wasn't alive and we were outplayed in the entire first half this year.. by a team that contains a business billion worth of players.. which left me feeling oh please can we just somehow snatch a draw.. to then win! best feeling.
Jigga
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Jigga »

I voted 86 as it meant alot more back then both personally and the importance of the result.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

I was at the game yesterday and whilst we were dominate in the second half we were poor first half, however this was over the European champions.

The game in '86 was 3 years before I was even born but from the highlights it looked like a very one sided game and we didn't conceed either.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Lucky enough to see both , 86 for me , away from home around 8000 in great voice and cottee and macavennie tearing them a new ****hole
Last edited by cockney farmer on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobby Orangeboom

Post by Bobby Orangeboom »

Every one over 33 will vote for 86, everyone under 33 will vote for yesterday.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I can still remember the stick they gave to Chicken George and then he ran and ran down the wing setting up a goal.

I had a picture on my wall of TC and Macca celebrating until the wife came along.

Yesterday was our finest moment for a few years and as Ace said a valediction of the tired out lil' ol BG, but that 86 game is in my top 10 of all time.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

Although I was knee high to a grasshopper in 86 and so have no memory of that game, surely winning 4-0 at Stamford Bridge has to be the better result?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2944 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doc H Ball wrote:
I had a picture on my wall of TC and Macca celebrating until the wife came along.

Wow, she must be a cracker if you let her persuade you to take that picture down .

86 - context as described by Sicknote .
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

sendô wrote:... surely winning 4-0 at Stamford Bridge has to be the better result?
Placing in context as per Pinky's post above, that was a Chelsea side featuring Micky Hazard and Nigel Spackman (who were beaten 6-0 at QPR the following week) as opposed to the world-class players representing the reigning European (and therefore World) champions.
sicknote wrote:it was as good as it gets watching west ham united
That's how I felt about yesterday.

I'm torn...
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

the pink palermo wrote: Wow, she must be a cracker
No but she's Scouse and I valued the Mk II Cortina's tyres at the time.
Matt of iron

Post by Matt of iron »

I wasn't born in 86 so this is a toughy.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

They had a better team yesterday...thats what made it THAT Special.

Chelsea in 86 were an actual football club still...unlike the Rabble yesterday
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

sendô wrote:Although I was knee high to a grasshopper in 86 and so have no memory of that game, surely winning 4-0 at Stamford Bridge has to be the better result?

Not necessarily.

Roman hadn't pitched up at the Bridge in 86 so we were playing an inferior Chelski team to the one we beat yesterday.

They weren't European champions and they weren't a side packed with superstar foreign mercenaries.

So for me, purely because of what Chelski stand for nowadays and because of their legions of plastic bandwaggon glory hunting fans (which they didn't have in '86) yesterday was FRACTIONALLY better - though i enjoyed both just as much.
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Yesterday was about as good as it gets. Not only was it a huge win for us, coming right in the middle of such a tricky period of matches, it was such a **** result for them, been winding up a few Chelsea fans and they are really devastated by it, fantastic. I wasn't around in '86, but thumping your rivals from behind like that, when they are European champions, I only think winning trophies beats that. A highlight was when we got the second, thinking "oh God, eight minutes of back to the wall defending, gonna do my heart in"- instead we took the game to them, attacked for the next five minutes, got right up 'em and grabbed a third.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I've gone for 2012 because I think we were a better team in '86 and were the match of Chelsea any day of that season , so yesterday meant more I think , it was more of a giant killing as we used to call it in the old days , a David and Goliath type of contest .
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Iron George wrote:
Roman hadn't pitched up at the Bridge in 86 so we were playing an inferior Chelski team to the one we beat yesterday.

They weren't European champions and they weren't a side packed with superstar foreign mercenaries.

So for me, purely because of what Chelski stand for nowadays and because of their legions of plastic bandwaggon glory hunting fans (which they didn't have in '86) yesterday was FRACTIONALLY better - though i enjoyed both just as much.
Using your excellent point, I actually vote for 86. Back then we were more natural rivals, both on and off the pitch. Back then I actually respected Chelsea, and all proper rivalries should have an element of begrudging respect, (see Millwall). Now I dislike Chelsea, but have no respect for them. They are no longer rivals, they are now a Sky TV franchise.

Anyway, that day at Stamford Bridge will live with me till the grave, yesterday will only be remembered if brought up in a conversation. I guess football meant more to me when I was younger
beckton

Post by beckton »

Definitely 86'. Away from home and fantastic football on a mudbath.

Oh and Hazard and Spackman were good players in their day.
claretcloggy

Post by claretcloggy »

2012 imo, you have to see this victory in it's context; the team of 2012 is a newly promoted team, going up against the european champions and their over-paid stars. also; coming from behind after THAT first half? sorry, 2012 for me every time.