Harry Redknapp

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Willtelll on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:42 am

JustLikeMyDreams wrote: Are you redknapp in disguise?


The point is that I dislike Redknapp for what he has become - a media whore - but, I really enjoyed the time he was our manager.

I remember Tihannen well. He played out of his skin for us but there was no way he was worth any more than £1m especially 11 years ago. I kept seeing him play internationals but he would eventually have been nothing more than a squad player and it was the right decision not to pay over the odds for him.

Yes Camara turned out to be a joke but his price was £1.5m so hardly a disaster for us. Song played a lot more but just wasn't up to it but then balance against that PDC, Trevor Sinclair, Steve Lomas, Freddie Kanoute, Shaka Hislop, Ian Pearce, Seb Schemmel etc etc

Fact is Harry was kept on a miniscule transfer budget and was never backed properly by Brown yet he did wonders buying in the bargain basement. If he got a few back handers then you can be absolutely sure so too did our current manager. Yes BFS was implicated and named by his son in a filmed media sting as being open to back handers yet no-one wants to criticise BFS do they? Harry was never actually caught out like BFS's son was. If Harry's a crook then why isn't BFS eh?

Oh I see - they are only crooks once we want shot of them....

I know the bloke is a media whore and I will be dead against him when we play QPR but I am loyal to someone I thought had a tough job working for a self-important over paid chairman in Terence Brown. Redknapp was sacked for saying in a OLAS interview that he had not had all the Rio £18m to spend. OLAS then produced an official letter from Brown saying he would be given all the transfer money. So. Either Harry spent £6m or £7m on players with the other £11m or £12m going in bungs or Brown lied.

Fact is Brown lied and everyone knows that's the case. Doesn't mean Harry didn't take a few thousand quid somewhere in there but so was every manager at that time. Including BFS according to his agent son...
Willtelll
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby The Sherriff on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 am

He's called us scum on no less than two occassions ( But after games away to Spurs), stabbed my hero and his mate in the back, wanked away good money on proper **** footballers (Suker, Charles, Shitty Titti, Song).

He made 147 transfers during his reign at West Ham, invited unwanted attention from Custom and Exercise into our business dealings, left us in a terrible state with the team not playing for him, we had poor players with no sell on value. There seems some myth that he left the club in a better state than when he left it?

The way he took over at Rangers demonstrates just what he is. In a court of law he declared he has a poor grasp of written english, yet publically stated interest in the Ukraine national job ... thus knowingly and willingly forcing a fella manager out of his job.

Hes a spiteful, pitiful human being who has the media in the palm of his hand. The legacy hes left at Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton and Portsmouth speaks for itself. That he enjoys minority popularity at his managed clubs cant be just coincendence.

One trophy in 30 odd years.

Apart from Lampard and Terry ...... hes the biggest **** in football.
User avatar
The Sherriff
 
Posts: 1603
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2004 1:31 pm
Location: South Twyford

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby mushy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:59 am

Willtelll wrote:[Fact is Harry was kept on a miniscule transfer budget and was never backed properly by Brown

Fact is Brown lied and everyone knows that's the case. ...


Sorry, can you explain how these two are actually facts?
Brown lied, Harry lied, nobody comes out with any credit, well apart from Harry -according to you.
Am still trying to fathom how come we took a drunk cripple who failed multiple medicals (allegedly) and Benfica were desperate to get off their books.. All very strange.
mushy
 
Posts: 7668
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Willtelll on Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:14 pm

No I am not that bothered mushy. You'll believe what you want no matter what I say.
Willtelll
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby The Boleyn Hound on Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:57 pm

1. Every club he's managed has gone on to experience huge financial problems - with the exception of Spurs, where he was under tight financial control from savvy Levy.

2. His "successes" include saving Spurs from relegation, and winning the FA Cup with Pompey. Now, granted Spurs had only 2 points when he took over, but I am not convinced they would have been relegated that season without him. I think it was an incredibly poor start to the season for them, that's all. Pompey winning the FA Cup is NOT a success because we all know what happened as a result.
If I was running a firm, had one successful year, which resulted in running the company into the ground, that "successful" year would have actually been a disaster. So what exactly makes him a successful manager? At West Ham he did "alright" with a golden generation.

3. I just don't think he's a good football manager. Have you ever heard him talk about tactics? He can't, as he doesn't understand them.
He is however a good man-manager/motivator, and using these skills and his immoral ways has managed to convince a nation he is a top manager.

He has absolutely nothing on a real football manager like Allardyce, Fergie, Wenger, Moyes, etc.

All of the above, plus the way he shafts people to get what he wants makes him a **** in my book.
User avatar
The Boleyn Hound
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:32 pm
Location: NW1

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby mushy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Willtelll wrote:No I am not that bothered mushy. You'll believe what you want no matter what I say.


Not really fair, I have been open minded all along I think you will find.
I only asked you to explain exactly how those two things you claimed were facts were actually facts.
One other thing, do you think he was sacked by Brown, or did he walk away?
If so why? (on either count).
mushy
 
Posts: 7668
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:17 pm
Location: Kumb Poster of the year 2009

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Aztec Hammer on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:27 pm

"Diame's a good player. You would love to have him here but he belongs to West Ham. Until the club decide they want to sell him for £3.5m, I don't know how it works."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2H0s1yGZL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:arry:
User avatar
Aztec Hammer
 
Posts: 2164
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm
Location: Dunder Mifflin

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Willtelll on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 pm

mushy wrote:Not really fair, I have been open minded all along I think you will find.
I only asked you to explain exactly how those two things you claimed were facts were actually facts.
One other thing, do you think he was sacked by Brown, or did he walk away?
If so why? (on either count).


OK sorry if I got the wrong impression. I think Harry is a media whore and gets a lot of deserved abuse but I remember the bloke with affection for his time here as manager.

If I need to justify that Harry was kept short of transfer funds then you clearly were not a fan back in the 90's or early 2000's. The club was run by an accountant with the sole of an accountant - Terence Brown. He was the highest paid chairman in Britain iirc and invested none of his own money in the club. We had 24,000 gates and a budget to compare to the likes of Wigan or Reading of today's standards.

I am certain Redknapp was sacked. I remember reading OLAS at a game with Harry's interview where OLAS trapped him into saying that he'd spent a total of something like £6-7m of the £18m Rio fee, before showing him the letter OLAS had received from Terence Brown stating categorically that all the Rio money would be spent on new players. A few days later Harry was sacked and had his contract fully paid up....

I'm not a Harry lover and I am sure there's no smoke etc but, and it's a big but, managers were frequently bunged by agents at that time. I have no doubts that if Harry ever did get bungs, then so did BFS who was definitely outed in a televised sting on his son who was an agent.

I find it extremely hypocritical of most fans that are happy to slag of a one time player and manager that they cheered at the time, yet ignore the fact that our current manager had a worse reputation for bungs. That is embarrassingly hypocritical.

I also find it highly hypocritical that a slimeball like Tottenham's Chairman Daniel Levy gets lauded on here for not letting Harry Redknapp near the purse strings! Daniel Levy is the kind of man that would sell his own mother FFS but let's be clear on this. No Chairman lets a manager sign cheques. Anyone with the slightest inkling of how the business works would never blame the man that spends the budget that can only come from the directors.
Willtelll
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby bobbymooresbracelet on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:51 pm

You are 100% right about Brown if that helps.
bobbymooresbracelet
 
Posts: 2722
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:17 pm

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Billy_Boy on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Managers - not unfairly - like to be judged by their results. Redknapp's teams have, IMO, never over-achieved nor under-achieved with the players he has assembled. Accordingly, he could be considered an OK manager.

Great football managers are master tacticians, great motivators/man managers and savvy in the transfer windows.

Saggy Chops is not - by any stretch of the imagination - a tactician in the mould of many a modern gaffer. I've no doubt he can give a decent rallying cry in the dressing room and can get a team low on confidence playing again. Beyond this, his M.O. wherever he's been has been to criticise the squad he inherits, buy players cheaply (regardless of how much their wages cripple a club) and build old, unmotivated squads that are not always easy to shift on.

I am still perplexed as to why, having trousered a £300k bonus after selling Rio and being told by Brown not to spend the transfer money, he went and bought Dailly/Song/Camara. How the hell did he (and I'll put Storrie into the mix, too) get away with that behind the Chairman's back? :?
User avatar
Billy_Boy
 
Posts: 1486
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:05 pm
Location: Chuntering the umpire at square leg

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Willtelll on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Billy_Boy wrote:I am still perplexed as to why, having trousered a £300k bonus after selling Rio and being told by Brown not to spend the transfer money, he went and bought Dailly/Song/Camara. How the hell did he (and I'll put Storrie into the mix, too) get away with that behind the Chairman's back? :?


I'm sure that you're wrong there Billy_Boy. There was no order not to spend anything. It was an order to only spend a small part of the money while telling fans everything was to be spent...
Willtelll
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:06 pm

I sort of agree with the general tone, Harry is a good motivator and tactically not very good, but a couple of points

Willtelll wrote:I have no doubts that if Harry ever did get bungs, then so did BFS who was definitely outed in a televised sting on his son who was an agent.

There is no doubt that both were managers when bungs were commonplace, however IIRC all the TV sting showed was that Sam's son was a dick who talked himself up and dropped himself in the ****. As I understand it the TV team went for it and could not provide any proof on any manager.

Willtelll wrote:No Chairman lets a manager sign cheques. Anyone with the slightest inkling of how the business works would never blame the man that spends the budget that can only come from the directors.

The manager may not sign the cheques, but certainly at Bournemouth he was allowed to run the show - doing far more than identify players. Some managers have been deeply involved in contract and fee negotiations for players with agents, including agents fees. Some managers have been known to insist on only doing business with certain agents, I wonder why?
User avatar
Hampshire Hammer
 
Posts: 6859
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Somewhere south of sanity

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby DaveWHU1964 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Willtelll wrote:
I think Harry is a media whore and gets a lot of deserved abuse but I remember the bloke with affection for his time here as manager.


Will- As you know I can't stand :arry: but like you I have a lot of happy memories of his time with us. He built the best side we had had for years at the end of the 90's. It was cleverly constructed with all of the flair that we love but with a little of the bit of steel that we historically lack. At that time, he seemed a proper manager, albeit as someone said earlier one who relied on great man management skills to compensate for a lack of tactical nous.

But after that time, especially after the Rio sale his transfer dealings were more than inept to the point where many including me questioned whether these dealings were still being conducted for the good of the club, or whether there were more unsavoury, lets say slightly dodgy reasons for the comings and goings.

I wanted Harry out at the end of that season (2000-2001?) as I felt that he'd lost his way. From his subsequent time at Portsmouth it just appears to me that he hadn't lost his way at all- he'd just found a new one. One that suited him, if not necessarily the clubs he was paid a fortune to look after the interests of. What in the early 2000's was just a suspicion about his motives has hardened over time due to what's happened subsequently.
User avatar
DaveWHU1964
 
Posts: 4430
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:14 am

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby sjb958 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Saw this gem of a video today http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctWS52IA_JY"

Well worth a watch - it's Harry defending Frank Lampard against a supporter telling him that he's not good enough. It's from 1996.Shows what a good judgement of player he is to be fair. Bet that supporter feels like a right idiot now...
sjb958
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:32 pm

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Ozza on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:41 pm

My best harry moment was him getting stiffed for the England job and as he has the tactical ability of someone on football manager it was the right decision, and then I really loved it when levy told him to do one, priceless

Btw for all of those loving old arry, what do you reckon the reason was for levy binning him? Seems to be a fairly clever bloke that levy!
User avatar
Ozza
 
Posts: 8975
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Stringfellows

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Up the Junction on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:47 pm

sjb958 wrote:Well worth a watch - it's Harry defending Frank Lampard against a supporter telling him that he's not good enough. It's from 1996.

Is this the video when Redknapp also admits to binning Mattie Holland, a £5million player in his prime?
User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
 
Posts: 41172
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:03 am

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby speculator on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Ozza wrote:My best harry moment was him getting stiffed for the England job and as he has the tactical ability of someone on football manager it was the right decision, and then I really loved it when levy told him to do one, priceless

Btw for all of those loving old arry, what do you reckon the reason was for levy binning him? Seems to be a fairly clever bloke that levy!


Levy is a delusional ****. An ungrateful one at that.
User avatar
speculator
 
Posts: 4056
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:58 pm
Location: I started out with nothing and I'm proud to say I've got most of it left.

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Kentish Hammer on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Billy_Boy wrote:Managers - not unfairly - like to be judged by their results. Redknapp's teams have, IMO, never over-achieved nor under-achieved with the players he has assembled. Accordingly, he could be considered an OK manager.

Great football managers are master tacticians, great motivators/man managers and savvy in the transfer windows.

Saggy Chops is not - by any stretch of the imagination - a tactician in the mould of many a modern gaffer. I've no doubt he can give a decent rallying cry in the dressing room and can get a team low on confidence playing again. Beyond this, his M.O. wherever he's been has been to criticise the squad he inherits, buy players cheaply (regardless of how much their wages cripple a club) and build old, unmotivated squads that are not always easy to shift on.

I am still perplexed as to why, having trousered a £300k bonus after selling Rio and being told by Brown not to spend the transfer money, he went and bought Dailly/Song/Camara. How the hell did he (and I'll put Storrie into the mix, too) get away with that behind the Chairman's back? :?


Never over-achieved? I've heard it all now.


He took us into Europe with a budget far less than pretty much the rest of the division, won the cup with Pompey in an era when the money men dominate pretty much every trophy and took Spurs from relegation candidates to the Champions League. Yes, he has had periods of under-achievement (Southampton) but never over-achieving is beyond belief.
Kentish Hammer
 
Posts: 604
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: Still believing

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Bamber Gascoigne on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Aztec Hammer wrote:"Diame's a good player. You would love to have him here but he belongs to West Ham. Until the club decide they want to sell him for £3.5m, I don't know how it works."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2H0s1yGZL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:arry:


What a ****!
User avatar
Bamber Gascoigne
 
Posts: 2694
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:12 pm
Location: 51° 31′ 55″ N, 0° 2′ 22″ E

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby opeless on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:04 pm

I don't post here often but I do remember the debacle over the sacking and the OLAS interview.

My recollection was that the argument between Redknapp and Brown was that Brown was upset that Harry had said he'd only spent £11m of the £18m and that Brown wasn't allowing him to have the rest. Brown's point was that he wasn't factoring in the large extras in signing on fees and extra wages that Camara, Foxe and Song (and others) were being paid.

Either way, managers are encouraged by Chairmen to make a profit in transfer dealings. Redknapps £300k bonus was to reward getting the best value from a home grown talent.

Other than with Pardew who clearly had his own problems at the club too, we've rarely had the highlights that we enjoyed back then. The Southampton game with Futre et all playing the best football I'd ever seen at Upton Park. Here's the match report. Still brings back a smile... http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/west ... 11445.html
opeless
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:09 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cuenca 'ammer, Google [Bot] and 20 guests