Harry Redknapp

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Harry Redknapp

Postby Willtelll on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:25 pm

DaveWHU1964 wrote: Will- As you know I can't stand :arry: but like you I have a lot of happy memories of his time with us. He built the best side we had had for years at the end of the 90's. It was cleverly constructed with all of the flair that we love but with a little of the bit of steel that we historically lack. At that time, he seemed a proper manager, albeit as someone said earlier one who relied on great man management skills to compensate for a lack of tactical nous.

But after that time, especially after the Rio sale his transfer dealings were more than inept to the point where many including me questioned whether these dealings were still being conducted for the good of the club, or whether there were more unsavoury, lets say slightly dodgy reasons for the comings and goings.

I wanted Harry out at the end of that season (2000-2001?) as I felt that he'd lost his way. From his subsequent time at Portsmouth it just appears to me that he hadn't lost his way at all- he'd just found a new one. One that suited him, if not necessarily the clubs he was paid a fortune to look after the interests of. What in the early 2000's was just a suspicion about his motives has hardened over time due to what's happened subsequently.

Funny but I thought he was constantly frustrated by Brown. I very much regretted him going especially when Roeder was appointed to kiss Brown's *rse. I have to say that before his sacking, it was a special time for me. I'd retired from playing and then spent the next 5 years managing a County League side.

I did a week long FA coaching course and realised that I needed tactics to suit my players. I copied Harry's formation (3-5-2) because there were similarities between my amateur (£10 a game expenses) and Prem standard players at their respective levels.

Athletes for full backs that just ran for fun, I pushed onto the opposition's wide mid-fielders. I had two defenders marking and one spare. My 3 central midfielders outnumbered the oppositions central pair every week and although the forwards and keeper changed I had a nucleus that lasted 5 seasons thanks to copying Harry's tactics.

I packed it in because my family were growing up and we moved 25 miles away but anyone that thinks Harry's tactics are bad really need to grow another brain cell. I've heard the same said about Ferguson and it really is urban myth crap. No-one survives at the top of world football knowing anything about tactics.

Anyway, slightly inebriated I retire to the telly and to hell with Redknapp. Far more important that we sign the right players....
Willtelll

Postby Denbighammer on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:35 pm

Signing Tal Ben Haim is hilarious. Avram tried that and look where it got him!

Loving Wesley's Sneider agent...."Wesley likes English football but definately won't go to QPR"

:lol:
Denbighammer

Postby prophet:marginal on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:34 pm

Aztec Hammer wrote:"Diame's a good player. You would love to have him here but he belongs to West Ham. Until the club decide they want to sell him for £3.5m, I don't know how it works."

This is also printed in tonight's Standard. I couldn't believe he'd actually said that.

Life imitating cliche.
prophet:marginal

Postby Mike Check on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:47 am

Willtelll wrote:

I packed it in because my family were growing up and we moved 25 miles away but anyone that thinks Harry's tactics are bad really need to grow another brain cell. I've heard the same said about Ferguson and it really is urban myth crap. No-one survives at the top of world football knowing anything about tactics.

You know what Willtell, you could be right and I'm no expert here by far - but for years I assumed or suspected that Redknapp must have hired and had close to him someone who chose all the tactics for him.

As I say I'm no expert, can anyone else throw in any better informed info on this?
Mike Check

Postby New Jersey on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:02 am

Harry's very good with his TicTacs. Let's be honest, he's a wheeler dealer, he sold Rio and brought in some crap players on huge contracts. And now he has the nerve to talk about Mark Hughes's signings. Doesn't he remember Gary Charles, Titi Camara and Rigoberto Song?

So QPR won at Chelsea. There's a saying "even a blind squirrel finds an acorn". The win might convice Fernandes to part with more money in the hope that Harry is the saviour. It will be all in vain, and Harry has already pointed the blame at everyone but himself. He only took the job as it was a "win win" situation for him. They survive and he's the hero, they go down, which they will, and it was other peoples fault.
New Jersey

Postby TurnbullHammer on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:39 am

"Diame's a good player. You would love to have him here but he belongs to West Ham. Until the club decide they want to sell him for £3.5m, I don't know how it works."

Does this not constitute tapping up..?
TurnbullHammer

Postby ironilunga on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:37 am

TurnbullHammer wrote:"Diame's a good player. You would love to have him here but he belongs to West Ham. Until the club decide they want to sell him for £3.5m, I don't know how it works."

Does this not constitute tapping up..?

All that Redknapp could possibly offer Diame is a shed load of money and it would boil down to whether Diame is the sort to take it. I would be staggered if he did, though were he to be that type then he would be in very good company at QPR.

Personally I dont think Redknapp is in a position to 'tap up' right now. It is simply greed that will attract the big players.
ironilunga

Postby mushy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:43 am

ironilunga wrote:All that Redknapp could possibly offer Diame is a shed load of money and it would boil down to whether Diame is the sort to take it. .

Er... Have I read the above correctly?
What else is Diame in it for if its not the money?
Diame is the same as every other player/human being, out to get as much as he can.
And who can blame him?
mushy

Postby ironilunga on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:59 am

mushy wrote:Er... Have I read the above correctly?
What else is Diame in it for if its not the money?
Diame is the same as every other player/human being, out to get as much as he can.
And who can blame him?

Yeah you read it correctly.

So you think that every footballer in Diames situation would drop to a relegation threatened club for extra cash and you think that every human being would do the same because what else matters? Plenty matters more in my opinion.
ironilunga

Postby Guvnor1 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:09 am

From the HR video already posted

1) Does anyone know the fan in the video arguing with HR?

2) Who the hell is Scotty Canon??? :lol:
Guvnor1

Postby mushy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:24 am

ironilunga wrote:Yeah you read it correctly.

So you think that every footballer in Diames situation would drop to a relegation threatened club for extra cash and you think that every human being would do the same because what else matters? Plenty matters more in my opinion.

Like what?
Like security for your family?
I agree with the sentiment and if there were not much in it then Diame may well turn down an offer from QPR because of their current position.
But if there is an offer to double his salary for instance with a get out clause in case of relegation then he would be mad not to wouldnt he?
I guess his wife would be teling him exactly that.
'Mo, you dumb ass, why you staying at West Ham when you could double your wages working for Harry'?
'Cos the fans love me here, and I want to show some loyalty'.
'Mo, you are a fool'.

So what exactly is the 'plenty that matters more in your opinion'?'
mushy

Postby ironilunga on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:51 am

mushy wrote:So what exactly is the 'plenty that matters more in your opinion'?'

We are poles apart in this Mushy as I simply dont think that many footballers in his position would take this move. He is 25 years old and playing in the prem for a team on the up. I might be way out here but most 25 year-olds with his ability and entering their prime want to go as far as they can in the game, win a few cups, play in europe perhaps and even compete for a championship.

The alternative in your scenario is that he goes to QPR and plays with a handful of players who have gone to QPR for their final big contract in football, most of whom that have done all the things that Diame might be able to in the next 6 years of his career. He may go there and be relegated and be playing Peterborough next season.

What will he think at the end of his career. Im glad I have got that extra few grand in the bank or wonder where his career might have taken him were he not so greedy. I suspect the latter.
ironilunga

Postby Ironchas on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:54 am

Nail on the head Mushy

I am sure some people on here on are not in the real world , it's money that talks very few, are loyal although it may come in now and then, ie when they take a pay cut, even then it may be that they think they may not be offered more elsewhere,
Ironchas

Postby davids cross on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:35 am

Aztec Hammer wrote:" I don't know how it works."

He is unbelievable isn't he...

The worrying thing is that many have been taken in for 30/40 years with this nonsense.

The Fox.
davids cross

Postby mushy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:59 am

ironilunga wrote:We are poles apart in this Mushy
We certainly are!!
as I simply dont think that many footballers in his position would take this move. He is 25 years old and playing in the prem for a team on the up. I might be way out here but most 25 year-olds with his ability and entering their prime want to go as far as they can in the game, win a few cups, play in europe perhaps and even compete for a championship.

So the reason players sign for Chelsea and City is to further their careers, not the money?
I would say that the success of these two clubs is a bi-product of spending a fortune on wages, the players see winning things as a secondary bonus to their massive wages.

The alternative in your scenario is that he goes to QPR and plays with a handful of players who have gone to QPR for their final big contract in football, most of whom that have done all the things that Diame might be able to in the next 6 years of his career. He may go there and be relegated and be playing Peterborough next season.
If he were that good we wont be playing against Peterboro, he will have a get out clause and be on his way to one of the big boys (see Scott Parker).
What will he think at the end of his career. Im glad I have got that extra few grand in the bank or wonder where his career might have taken him were he not so greedy. I suspect the latter.

Its not a few grand though is it but tens of millions.
What would your wife say if you turned down the opportunity to double your wages over the next 5 years?
Where is his career likey to take him at West ham anyway?
If he was playing for Man Utd I could understand your argument, but its West Ham, hardly a guarentee of trophies is it?
mushy

Postby Willtelll on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:15 am

mushy wrote:Like what?
Like security for your family?
I agree with the sentiment and if there were not much in it then Diame may well turn down an offer from QPR because of their current position.
But if there is an offer to double his salary for instance with a get out clause in case of relegation then he would be mad not to wouldnt he?
I guess his wife would be teling him exactly that.
'Mo, you dumb ass, why you staying at West Ham when you could double your wages working for Harry'?
'Cos the fans love me here, and I want to show some loyalty'.
'Mo, you are a fool'.

So what exactly is the 'plenty that matters more in your opinion'?'

I take your point mushy but if he is on £2m a year contract at WH. Even if QPR offer him £3m or £4m a year they are most likely headed for the Championship and financial problems so he will insist on a release clause if they go down. His enlarged heart needs constant medical care and stand-by treatment and this obviously puts off the top clubs who could have signed him last summer for free.

He knows he is wanted at WH. He has been made an improved offer to remove the £3.5m clause and is probably content at a club on the up with a manager and directors that want him long term and not just for a few months to rescue themselves from the deepest sh1t.

West Ham loves Momo, Momo loves West Ham and when you are earning more than £2m a year anyway the top up becomes almost academic..... so I'm told!
Willtelll

Postby mushy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:21 am

Willtelll,
I agree with just about all of that.
Do you think the heart thing is really a show-stopper though?
I had not factored any of that into my thinking.
mushy

Postby Willtelll on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 am

The heart thing is not a show stopper but it does make you think long and hard when you are in his position.

I remember reading that Man Utd and several other clubs were interested in him when he was at Wigan but they were either put off by his enlarged heart or maybe they thought he just wasn't consistent enough? Who knows? His heart might be the reason for his inconsistency even?

All I know is that I have an operation coming up soon on my back and it is not a life threatening op but, it does make you realise that you are not immortal and appreciate what you have a lot more....
Willtelll

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:54 am

mushy wrote:Its not a few grand though is it but tens of millions.
What would your wife say if you turned down the opportunity to double your wages over the next 5 years?
Where is his career likey to take him at West ham anyway?
If he was playing for Man Utd I could understand your argument, but its West Ham, hardly a guarentee of trophies is it?

The thing is it is not as simple as that is it; is the question not - should I go to a club very likely to get relegated and run the risk of having that on my cv and possibly being clubless again at the end of the seasonl or should I stay at a club likely to finish mid-table (and maybe improve in future seasons) playing well and looking good, and possibly attract an offer from a bigger and more successful club?

Put like that, the question is more money now (risking possibly losing money long term) or less now with the possibility of more later. Surely Fernandes would not be stupid enough to throw huge wages at players for the next 5 years with no get out clauses, so double your wages for 5 years is unlikely.
Hampshire Hammer

Postby F.U.B.A.R. on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:24 pm

RichieRiv wrote:
As for lardy, he's just got a chip on his shoulder knowing that he's West Ham through and through and no amount of Chelsea badge kissing will ever erase that.

He loved West Ham, but felt they let him down, . He was bitter, and it's all escalated from that...

No doubt he grew up loving West Ham, but the reality of playing for us and the criticism he was receiving was probably something he never expected.. To those who say criticism wasn't aimed at him but the management, I think your being very naive to think that an any 18 year old would not take this personally.. How would you have felt?

I've always compared our relationship with Lampard like a messy divorce, it's amazing how much hatred one can show about a person that they once loved....
F.U.B.A.R.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion