Jack Collison

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Jack Collison

Postby irving boleyn on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:18 pm

I'm partially with you,east end.....

He has looked incredibly fit and several times got in front of the strikers in his reappearance games...looks better than last year.

Always looking for the ball and looks to have a good football brain...

But I have a niggling concern that we rarely see any real quality from him.. A crunching tackle,astute pass or good shot.....probably even without these he can retain his place..Others get away with it!
irving boleyn

Postby sutts07 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:40 am

Said it in another thread but it is better suited here... I think Jack will learn a huge amount from Nolan and eventually edge him out of the side for that support role.

It is custom made for Nolan right now, little tracking back needed, he can score goals, he can head the ball, he can pick out a cute pass to create space.

I see Jack as the natural replacement for Nolan in that role as lets be honest, Nolan will not go on for too many more seasons.

As the OP said, great to see him back!
sutts07

Postby Hockley Hammer on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Very good to see him back and pleased he did himself justice. Not been an easy few seasons for the lad.

Funny how he looked at ease on the big stage yet struggled at times in the Championship. Getting a fraction more time on the ball brings out his better qualities. Hope it continues.
Hockley Hammer

Postby RichieRiv on Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Considering some of the rumours flying about that he was finished, it's good to see him him back and make an impact.
RichieRiv

Postby geowhu on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:03 am

I Rate Jack Highly and its great to see him Back , He is a Quality Player and along with Joe Cole give our Midfield some Creative Quality to go with the Steel . I really hope he can have an Injury Free rest of Season and if he does i expect him to be in the 1st Team more often than Not .
geowhu

Postby sjb958 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:05 am

geowhu wrote:I Rate Jack Highly and its great to see him Back , He is a Quality Player and along with Joe Cole give our Midfield some Creative Quality to go with the Steel . I really hope he can have an Injury Free rest of Season and if he does i expect him to be in the 1st Team more often than Not .

I love your completely random use of capital letters!!! :lol:
sjb958

Postby bobcar on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 pm

sjb958 wrote:I love your completely random use of capital letters!!! :lol:

I'm not sure it's random, he seems to use capitals as a sort of minor emphasis.
bobcar

Postby eastendborn on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:11 am

that was a chuckle mate : ) us Eastenders are not well known for our grammer- but our wit topples the scousers, mancs, chelshits and north london neighbours anyday :)
eastendborn

Postby Ariksan on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:50 am

I don't know what has changed. Is it me - or is it Jack? I never really rated him that highly. I thought he had been anonymous most of the time he played for us. But since he has come back from injury - except for the first manure goal - he has been great. And if this is just the beginning then.... :raver:
Ariksan

Postby aaronwhufc on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 pm

I'm pretty sure some of it down to losing some bulk. Not sure if you remember but when he came back from his initial injury he was really bulky (muscle). It was to be expected though, most people who are out with long term injuries normally come back with more upper body strength simply because that's the only area they can safely work out. Same thing happened to Steven Taylor at Newcastle.
aaronwhufc

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:32 pm

Competition for places in our midfield are now at a premium, so he will have to step up to the plate in the near future, if he too, is avoid being told quite soon, he has no future at the club. Doubtless some of you will not like to read this, but listen, it is not me who makes those decisions
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Location: In the back of The Gretta Garbo Home for wayward boys and girls

Postby hammer1975 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:it is not me who makes those decisions

Thank The Lord
hammer1975

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:42 pm

hammer1975 wrote:

Thank The Lord

I will be more than happy to see him get an extended run in the team. If he does, he will have earnt it, so lets all hope he takes his opportunity
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby durham city hammer on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Playing more centrerally makes a big difference imo, he is never in a million years a wide midfielder and tbh it baffles me how many people would have him out there in front of the likes of Jarvis or Vaz Te! his energy and ability to carry the ball reasonably quickly in the middle make him a potentially very good centre midfielder, be interesting to see if he starts today or whether big sam will bring his fresh legs and energy on later in the game when Diarra is flagging, nice to be in a situation though when you are going to be reasonably happy with whatever two are picked in the middle!
durham city hammer

Postby dplus91 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:10 pm

sutts07 wrote:I think Jack will learn a huge amount from Nolan and eventually edge him out of the side for that support role.

I agree up to a point but I think Nolan is a one-off. That kind of instinct can't be taught and few have it. At the moment, the formation we play seems to be at least partly influenced by Nolan's own best position.

I think Collison is definitely best in a central attacking midfield role but I think he's got a better engine than Nolan has ever had and so will always cover more ground. Therefore I see him in a slightly deeper role. He likes a shot and I think his shooting will only improve. And he likes to get in the box and get on the end of things or pick up loose clearances so in that regard he's similar to Nolan and again should improve at that. But I don't think he's going to be a like for like.

In any case, I've always rated him and am very pleased to see him back fit and contributing. One of my favourite players.
dplus91

Postby irving boleyn on Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Yes, If his shooting improves he WILL be a big plus for us.
irving boleyn

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:27 pm

I hope he does become the player we all think he is going to be
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Postby Westcliff Hammer on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 pm

He's going to have some absolute stinkers as he hasn't had much football since the play off final. He's performances against Norwich and Man Utd proves there is a player in there somewhere Although,. he was carried through those games with pure adrenaline which happens when a player comes back from injury. I have no idea why he took that free kick in what was probably he's only kick in the entire game. The problem he's going to have is when we have a full quota of midfielders fully fit is he going to get a game?
Westcliff Hammer

Postby HammerMan2004 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:38 pm

One start too many for Jack today, needed a rest.
HammerMan2004

Postby mushy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 pm

AlfieG wrote:Why does every player have to be compared to a team mate? (Is this a playstation Fifa feature?)

They all have strengths and weaknesses and as long as they are contributing all they can to our winning team I couldn't give a flying one about who looks pedestrian. :D

Alfie,
Its quite simple really, if two players are competing for the same position then of course comparisons are valid.
In the case of Collison and Nolan then I believe they are competing for one of the midfield positions
You mention you dont give a flying one when we are winning, am not sure where you have been but we are not and havent for quite a while (apart from Norwich).
So you may well be happy with Nolan looking pedestrian but for me having travelled the length of the country to watch the man play, I certainly am not.
I happen to feel there are better options, hence my comparison.
mushy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion