Away the lads... at a price

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Away the lads... at a price

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:59 pm

An excellent piece by Paul Walker on the Man Utd ticket price fiasco:

http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3170
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby giantsteps on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:08 pm

Another interesting piece (from an Arsenal blog) on City returning 800 tickets back to Arsenal due to extortionate pricing. Goes a little deeper on the modern game's ethics etc and how player's wage demands and high ticket prices will see the demise of the game as we know it.

Worth a read anyway:

http://arseblog.com/2013/01/city-fans-refusal-to-pay-opens-an-important-debate/
Last edited by giantsteps on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giantsteps

Postby One Peter Butler on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Good read that. Good timing too as Keys and Gray on Talksport today were pondering whether or not fans were starting to vote with their feet. General consensus was that they are.

I live up north and I cannot find £45 for a cup replay just along the M62 for me. I do hope common sense prevails as I have 2 kids that will have to make do with a trip to Wigan every year. And I say that appreciating that some cannot even afford that much.
One Peter Butler

Postby Hambrosia Stu on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

A very good article that

Well balanced, and just about hits the nail on the head

It's not like ManYoo have hiked their prices up for this game. The price they are charging is pretty much the "normal" price

That £45 is considered normal says all you need to know about football's relationship the supporters who make the game what it is
Hambrosia Stu

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Hambrosia Stu wrote:A very good article that

Thanks, Paul's always are Stu (the benefits of being a retired journalist); here's his KUMB archive, should anyone wish to check out his previous submissions:

http://www.kumb.com/articles_auth.php?author=Paul%20Walker
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby giantsteps on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Hambrosia Stu wrote:
It's not like ManYoo have hiked their prices up for this game. The price they are charging is pretty much the "normal" price

It still begs the question how we could afford to charge them £20 for a Saturday game

EDIT: I think the Daves have a different ethos when it comes to home games. They seem to take 'bums on seats' over the greed factor which I find to be more astute business wise
giantsteps

Postby Turns to Stone on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 pm

My wife and I earn £60k a year collectively. We have a couple of graduate loans for our respective MSc's, a small loan for our wedding, a couple of credit cards that we have had to use to pay for the final year of our MSc's and my extortionate travel costs to get from Whitstable to London Bridge every morning.

In the grand scheme of things we earn a shedload of money. But as we have no deposit cannot afford to buy a house, so every spare penny goes towards that.

I literally don't have a spare £20 at the end of each month....so how the f*ck do football clubs expect people who earn the average wage to go to football! This year I've seen West Ham twice. Considering I used to see at least 20 games a season when I was working part-time at Burger King I can only assume that either I've made a massive mess of my life, or football's too expensive.

I'm voting with my feet this season.
Turns to Stone

Postby Pop Robson on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Paul should take his lad anyway since they live up that way.

That said I won't pay it anymore myself, so will watch in the pub with some mates.

Don't forget we charge are own fans £49 too for Cat A games, £67 for the Band 1 seats :shock:
Pop Robson

Postby Gerblatz on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Man U may be a far wealthier club, but they're very much the poor relations pulling stunts like this. The game is going through a massive change; money is tight for many ordinary fans, yet they still persist, like the greedy ***** at the Arse; in looking for ways to kill the golden goose. As if a massive revenue hike next season isn't enough...
Gerblatz

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:53 pm

Pop Robson wrote:Don't forget we charge are own fans £49 too for Cat A games...

I paid £49 to watch us play Doncaster in the Championship last season, Pop! (I may have mentioned this before)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Pop Robson on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Up the Junction wrote:I paid £49 to watch us play Doncaster in the Championship last season, Pop! (I may have mentioned this before)

They saw you coming, wasn't that one £10 on viagogo :wink:
Pop Robson

Postby Up the Junction on Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Pop Robson wrote:They saw you coming, wasn't that one £10 on viagogo :wink:

Haha, probably!

Did I mention that we (KUMB) are now working with Viagogo?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=144378

(yes, I know it's a shameless plug)
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby OxfordRobbo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:07 pm

Mates rates for you then UTJ :wink:
OxfordRobbo

Postby the pink palermo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Ticket prices in general are way too high , and whilst Pauls article touched on the fundamental economic theory of supply and demand when drawing the comparison with Wigan , he could touch a bit more on a key element of "policy" .
Manchester Uniteds policy is to make it compulsory to buy cup tickets if you want a ST .Fair enough, it stops cherry picking - part time percys who want to see the big games against the likes of ourselves but would rather watch paint dry than go to see Spurs play .
West Ham United's policy however , and a number of other clubs, is , or appears to be , to milk the same people over and over again , and deliberately overprice "awkward" fans aka those between 25-35 .

Every club says they need to maximise revenue to be able to afford the best players , but this is patently not consistent with some clubs "policy" .Ours, for instance .

Kids for a quid , some adults for £20, others for £49 .......all for the same seat .

It's not fair, equitable or good business .The pubs are packed with fans who would pay £15/20 but shy away from £49 , and who can blame them ?

This is the reality for most :
Turns to Stone wrote:My wife and I earn £60k a year collectively. We have a couple of graduate loans for our respective MSc's, a small loan for our wedding, a couple of credit cards that we have had to use to pay for the final year of our MSc's and my extortionate travel costs to get from Whitstable to London Bridge every morning.

If Mr & Mrs TTS had a child, the child could afford to go , but they could not .

That's about policy, not supply and demand .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby taffhammer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:26 pm

When sky came in the money should have first subsidized ticket prices and then gone on players wages. In the long run stadiums will get more and more empty.
taffhammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:27 pm

Good article.

On the upside, WHUFC will benefit from those seat prices from their share of gate revenue.
westham,eggyandchips

Location: Playing drums for the worlds greatest air guitar band.

Postby Turns to Stone on Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:33 pm

the pink palermo wrote:
That's about policy, not supply and demand .

Absolutely, one of the game's I have been to this season was the Wigan Carling Cup game which cost me a tenner. The sad fact is that tourists, business' and day-trippers tend to spend more on and at a game than the die-hard blokes who've spent their 20's schlepping up and down the M1 (as I did).
Turns to Stone

Postby AJ on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm

another case of football eating itself, its not a game anymore its a business

long argued money should be evenly distributed throughout football all the way down to grass roots and this policy has to start from fifa, unfortunately they are sitting in the gravy train of corruption.....

what i would do if someone can elect me into fifa, is govern that across the globe all leagues must ensure that the distribution of cash from tv deals, and sponsors, gets placed in the league pot, is split evenly between every club in a tiered league system, everyone shares the champions league money to essex senior cup money dependent on what league they are in (not globally pooled just per country).

the leagues not the clubs arrange player wage payments (based on squad of 30), which is set say for the premier league as £20k per appearance in a league match, championship say £10k per appearance, if no appearance a monthly payment of £10k

the clubs are capped on ticket prices at £30 being the most expensive ticket, excluding corporate.

money generated from ticket sales, sponsors and merchandise of the club go towards transfer fees / back ground staff costs / ground costs / expansion / ground improvements / youth squad

players then do not become mercenaries and go to whoever pays the most, the only flaw would be how do you stop mystery accounts opening up in monaco for a player to receive extra payment into from a club/director/chairman/harry

if you win league or cup the only reward is the trophy.

oh well was a nice dream............
AJ

Location: Dreaming dreams, scheming schemes, building castles high

Postby prophet:marginal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:13 pm

Bumped into an old mate today, who (brace yourselves) is STH at The Emirates.

He said he knew of a spare for our re-arranged game a fortnight from now.

In ordinary circumstances, even if it meant sitting in the home end, I'd go unthinkingly.

The offer was a ticket for £60. Swerved.
prophet:marginal

Postby smuts on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Football priced me out a long time ago.....in these days of wage cuts, ever increasing energy bills, etc the bubble has got to burst eventually.
smuts

Next

Return to General Discussion