Away the lads... at a price

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Bavarian_Hammer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Ticket prices for football matches in the UK are kind of a nightmare. As if this wasn't enough there is often an additional membership required, otherwise you won't even have the chance to get one of the overpriced tickets. It's hard to believe we have to pay at least 600 quid for a season ticket to see our boys in clarent and blue while some of my friends in Germany see their local club for just around 100 quid a season. Btw. those local clubs we're talking about are Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund.
A few seasons ago the former Bayern Munich president Uli Hoeness explained how it was possible to offer season tickets at such low rates. Basically he said he doesn't want to rip off the regular fan, he rather gets the money from big corporate firms who pay silly money for lounges and boxes. They don't really contribute to the matchday atmosphere anyway and some of them aren't even watching the game :thup:
Last edited by Bavarian_Hammer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bavarian_Hammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:02 pm

smuts wrote:Football priced me out a long time ago.....in these days of wage cuts, ever increasing energy bills, etc the bubble has got to burst eventually.

....it will, but I doubt it'll be in my (and possibly your) lifetime.
westham,eggyandchips

Location: Playing drums for the worlds greatest air guitar band.

Postby Billy_Boy on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:10 pm

It can't be a coincidence that the Bundesliga attracts the highest average gates of Europe's five major leagues and prices are much, much lower.

Entry to the Allianz Arena was 15 Euros when I went about 18 months ago. Granted, that was for TSV1860 (playing in the second tier) but I was told that Bayern charge the same.

It puts things into perspective and clubs in England can't be surprised when fans - inevitably - start voting with their feet.
Billy_Boy

Postby Denbighammer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Never been to Old Trafford so I fancied this one if it was fairly priced.

Still, I'll watch it on the telly now.

Fwiw, I don't go anymore, I try to do a couple of aways if tickets are reasonably priced and they are fairly close but I have to save up for them. It's a shame, maybe its not my game anymore.
Denbighammer

Postby HarrowInnHammer on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Top flight prices are in dreamland, but unfortunately as the brand is so popular day trippers will always be there for the big city clubs to subsidise any priced out supporters.
Would love for standing, cheaper tickets, more of a terrace culture but it's only getting worse price and crowd wise.
HarrowInnHammer

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:20 pm

Out of interest, what is our allocation for the replay?
westham,eggyandchips

Location: Playing drums for the worlds greatest air guitar band.

Postby Slacking student on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 pm

It summed it up for me recently when I went to watch League 2 Chesterfield play Morecambe with my uncle. I went mainly because it is the nearest ground to his house and therefore convenient. I told him get the ticket and I'll pay him back. I was thinking somewhere in the range of £10-£15 would be reasonable for an afternoon of admittedly not top standard but still quality football.

I got there and found out that the ticket was a whopping £22 for a league 2 match. I paid but wasn't buying a drink or anything in the ground on principle that I didn't want to hand over anymore of my hard earnt student loan ( :D )

Last weekend back at uni I was told there were still tickets to the Swansea Arsenal game at the liberty, as my housemate is an Arsenal fan we thought we'd go as loans were in an may aswell enjoy ourselves before exams.

I was shocked how reasonable the tickets were. It was £15 for a student ticket and whilst I was there I noticed that for the semi-final vs Chelski it was only £12.50 with student card.

Just proves some clubs can still give a decent offer but some live in cloud cuckoo land
Slacking student

Postby Glory Hunter on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:16 pm

While I can understand that there is an arms race at the top with premier league and championship clubs prepared to overspend and overcharge just to get a seat at the top table, I really don't understand why prices are so high further down the pyramid - if clubs were making a huge profit, I could understand it, but a lot of these league 2 and conference clubs reckon they are on their knees financially.

I do wonder how much of it has to do with factors such as insurance, ground licencing, policing / stewarding, energy costs and so on that must just be lower in other countries. Seriously if any club outside of the top two dicvisions anywhere in Europe even thought about charging more than €5 a ticket, there wouldnt be a spectator in the house!
Glory Hunter

Location: Dreaming Dreams, Scheming Schemes, Building Castles High

Postby Hammers Dad on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Why aren't the FSF all over this?
They are mentioned in the report but nothing on their website at all (although plenty on safe standing - Not that there will be anyone able to afford to go, let alone stand up!)
Hammers Dad

Postby prophet:marginal on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 pm

There's a discussion on this topic going on the Guardian football board too, if anyone's interested (click).

Some of the prices people are charged are ridiculous, not just in the Prem but across the board, even non-league....
prophet:marginal

Postby the pink palermo on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Interesting quote in that Guardian article linked a few above this .

The increase in TV money next season would allow PL clubs to reduce every single ticket for every single fan by £32 per match ........and still have the same net revenue as this season .

I'll emphasise that again £32 reduction for every single ticket .

Call it a hunch, but I'm guessing prices will go up
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby MD_HM on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:52 pm

I think the price is cheeky baring in mind we charged a score, prices in general are far too dear but the top prices for concerts and theatre (over £100) have also got out of control.... Problem is enough people are still buying them so the companies don't care.
MD_HM

Postby giantsteps on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm

Went along to watch my local (Ryman league) team one Saturday afternoon last season (since which they've been promoted) and it was £12 entry :(

Hence to say I didn't pay it and haven't been back since
giantsteps

Postby aaronhammer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 am

giantsteps wrote:Went along to watch my local (Ryman league) team one Saturday afternoon last season (since which they've been promoted) and it was £12 entry :(

Hence to say I didn't pay it and haven't been back since

Whilst I agree with the fact that it does seem high for non league football (I've been to 2 non league teams this season, one I paid £10 (if I'd have wanted to sit in the stand it was another pound or two), and the other was £8). I think we believe it is high due to the inflated prices of top flight football. However I have no problem paying non league teams those amounts because I know that they really need that income, Premier League teams (although needing the income) know that they can get day trippers to fill in, and have the TV money to back it up too.

Whether or not prices go down to a more reasonable figure or not, there in my opinion, should be no reason why away fans of one club should pay more than there counterparts when they are at home (ie if we pay £40 to see a team away, then we should charge those fans £40 in the return match).
aaronhammer

Postby OxfordRobbo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 am

On the non league front Oxford City charge £11 to stand at their Conference North games. I do tend to go if the Hammers are away. Some good players about at that level.
OxfordRobbo

Postby btajim - mcfc on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:37 am

Arsenal v City is £62 on Sunday. We sent nearly 1000 back and those tickets were sold to idiot Gooners almost immediately. Despite City's boycott, the chances of Arsenal reducing the prices next season are minimal because the tickets are still being sold.

Football is beginning to cost me every spare penny I have now. I don't think I'm the kind of person who can pick and choose the matches I go to. I'm more an all or nothing Guy.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t

Postby Gormalysis on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 am

I can't pay out to make that kind of trip again, no getting the "quad" off of my football list this year :(
Gormalysis

Postby BSB1 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 am

btajim - mcfc wrote:Arsenal v City is £62 on Sunday. We sent nearly 1000 back and those tickets were sold to idiot Gooners almost immediately. Despite City's boycott, the chances of Arsenal reducing the prices next season are minimal because the tickets are still being sold.

Football is beginning to cost me every spare penny I have now. I don't think I'm the kind of person who can pick and choose the matches I go to. I'm more an all or nothing Guy.

It's a ****ing cheek and no mistake. The only way to stop it is by voting with our feet.

However, the Premier League insisted that attendances are still high and that the quality of stadiums in the top division has greatly improved. "Ticket pricing is a matter for individual clubs, many of which work hard to fill their stadiums with offers at different points during a season that make top flight football accessible to large numbers of fans," a spokesman said. "The quality and safety of stadia is as a result of extensive and continued investment from the clubs. Fans clearly enjoy the environment in which they watch Premier League matches and the football on offer with occupancy rates at grounds tracking at 95% for this season and having been 90%+ for the last 15 seasons in a row."

You keep thinking that all is rosy sunshine. When you think you've got it all, that's when something comes and bites you in the arse.
BSB1

Postby Arch Dandy on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:02 am

It's a bit rich that Man City fans are complaining about rising prices when their clubs massive wages and transfer fees are a major reason why costs in the game are going through the roof. They should try to get their own clubs finances in order first and think about the greater issues they cause by paying inflated fees and wages.
Arch Dandy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion