Away the lads... at a price

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby sendô on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:07 am

Turns to Stone wrote:My wife and I earn £60k a year collectively. We have a couple of graduate loans for our respective MSc's, a small loan for our wedding, a couple of credit cards that we have had to use to pay for the final year of our MSc's and my extortionate travel costs to get from Whitstable to London Bridge every morning.

I'm not massively dissimilar to you. I don't have the student loans (poxy students etc) but most of my current wage goes towards 1. clearing the overdraft from when the missus got laid off and was out of work for a year and a half and I was earning crap money and 2. saving for their never quite attainable house deposit.

Not that I'm a total puritan when it comes to being frugal with the rest of my money, but every time I try to get a ticket even to home games it's £50 or thereabouts for a crap ticket at the back of one of the upper tiers with all the shhh sit down stop singing brigade. Even without obligatory beer and pie/saveloy and chips money. Me and the missus could go out for a decent meal or spend the night in the pub dinner included for that (though not The Railway of course).
User avatar
sendô
 
Posts: 15891
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:41 pm
Location: in the pessimistically optimistic camp.

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby giantsteps on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:15 am

aaronhammer wrote:
Whilst I agree with the fact that it does seem high for non league football (I've been to 2 non league teams this season, one I paid £10 (if I'd have wanted to sit in the stand it was another pound or two), and the other was £8). I think we believe it is high due to the inflated prices of top flight football. However I have no problem paying non league teams those amounts because I know that they really need that income, Premier League teams (although needing the income) know that they can get day trippers to fill in, and have the TV money to back it up too.

Whether or not prices go down to a more reasonable figure or not, there in my opinion, should be no reason why away fans of one club should pay more than there counterparts when they are at home (ie if we pay £40 to see a team away, then we should charge those fans £40 in the return match).


I wouldn't mind but there's no stand, no seats. Just a pitch with some advertising boards and a clubhouse (that does do a cheap pint admittedly.) And at this time of year it's ****ing freezing.

Other non-league clubs in my area (Norfolk) charge about £4 - £6
giantsteps
 
Posts: 2303
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Up the Junction on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 am

In other news, the Club want you to raise £50,000 for the Bobby Moore Fund:

http://www.whufc.com/articles/20130108/ ... 84_3034975
User avatar
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
 
Posts: 39773
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:03 am

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:26 am

Turns to Stone wrote:The sad fact is that tourists, business' and day-trippers tend to spend more on and at a game than the die-hard blokes who've spent their 20's schlepping up and down the M1 (as I did).


Absolutely true, the dad turning up to his once-a-season game with his two kids WILL visit the club shop and buy something for the kids; the average season ticket holder might visit the shop once or twice a season. So the same three seats will probably generate more income for the club if occupied every game by families on their once a season visit than if occupied by season ticket holders. A very simplistic view, but probably the way that Karen looks at it.

Also, I think I'm correct that, tickets for away league games generate very little income for the club; therefore there is little focus on our away supporters, and little care taken of them.
User avatar
Hampshire Hammer
 
Posts: 6343
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Somewhere south of sanity

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby kenthammer1984 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:41 am

"...Manchester United have no track record of even treating their own fans with much more than contempt. They have a compulsory cup ticket policy on top of their season ticket price. They just take the price out of your bank account whether you go or not."

Did not realise this :shock:
User avatar
kenthammer1984
 
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Pop Robson on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 am

kenthammer1984 wrote:"...Manchester United have no track record of even treating their own fans with much more than contempt. They have a compulsory cup ticket policy on top of their season ticket price. They just take the price out of your bank account whether you go or not."

Did not realise this :shock:


Approx 50,000 STH's too, so no need to do reduced price tickets for the FA Cup

At least chelsea drop their prices for Cup games to £30, expect for the late rounds of the Champs League
User avatar
Pop Robson
 
Posts: 12796
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby kenthammer1984 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:48 am

Turns to Stone wrote:My wife and I earn £60k a year collectively. We have a couple of graduate loans for our respective MSc's, a small loan for our wedding, a couple of credit cards that we have had to use to pay for the final year of our MSc's and my extortionate travel costs to get from Whitstable to London Bridge every morning.

In the grand scheme of things we earn a shedload of money. But as we have no deposit cannot afford to buy a house, so every spare penny goes towards that.

I literally don't have a spare £20 at the end of each month....so how the f*ck do football clubs expect people who earn the average wage to go to football! This year I've seen West Ham twice. Considering I used to see at least 20 games a season when I was working part-time at Burger King I can only assume that either I've made a massive mess of my life, or football's too expensive.

I'm voting with my feet this season.


it's funny how the more money you earn you seem to see less of it? i am sure i was better off when i used to take home £650 a month working at halfords 7 years ago than i am now.

I have looked into going to work in London but a train season ticket from Canterbury to London is not far off £7,000 a year - so straight away i will need to earn at least £10,000 more a year in London to cover the cost of travel and to make it worth my time in respects of travelling.
User avatar
kenthammer1984
 
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby sendô on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:56 am

Pop Robson wrote:At least chelsea drop their prices for Cup games to £30, expect for the late rounds of the Champs League

Only because they can't fill their ground for cup games.
User avatar
sendô
 
Posts: 15891
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:41 pm
Location: in the pessimistically optimistic camp.

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Fionn on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:59 am

It’s all about supply and demand though isn’t it?

Eventually when the fans stop going, the club’s will reduce the prices. Until then, it’ll be business as usual.
User avatar
Fionn
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:03 am
Location: Location Location

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Hampshire Hammer on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 am

kenthammer1984 wrote:"...Manchester United have no track record of even treating their own fans with much more than contempt. They have a compulsory cup ticket policy on top of their season ticket price. They just take the price out of your bank account whether you go or not."

Did not realise this :shock:


From a mate who is a Manchester United STH (and lives locally before anyone starts), there is an assumption that you want a ticket policy and you MUST give a card to be debited with the ticket cost. A STH can opt out of a cup ticket but your chances of getting a ticket in any ballot for things like cup finals is reduced, and as I understand it significantly reduced. Saying that I believe he has yet to get a ticket in any ballot in recent times, he is in his fifties and has been going since he was a kid.
User avatar
Hampshire Hammer
 
Posts: 6343
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Somewhere south of sanity

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby kenthammer1984 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 am

giantsteps wrote:Other non-league clubs in my area (Norfolk) charge about £4 - £6


Think Dover charge £12 for adults, plus £1.50 ish to go in the seated part. We used to go at half time as kids and get in for a couple of quid :D
User avatar
kenthammer1984
 
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Pop Robson on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 am

prophet:marginal wrote:There's a discussion on this topic going on the Guardian football board too, if anyone's interested (click).

Some of the prices people are charged are ridiculous, not just in the Prem but across the board, even non-league....


Reading that I see Southampton fans were charged £51 at Man City, so we can expect the same and they moan about £11 more at Arsenal, at least they'll get padded seats for that price !!

Image
User avatar
Pop Robson
 
Posts: 12796
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:17 am

Fionn wrote:It’s all about supply and demand though isn’t it?

Eventually when the fans stop going, the club’s will reduce the prices. Until then, it’ll be business as usual.

No Fionn , that is too simplistic .

There is demand , but at £1 a ticket , for kids , or £22 for a pensioner .

It's the 30 year old who used to go as a kid but cannot afford the £59 that is the issue .

Instead of KFAQ price adults at £15/20 and the ground would be full every week .

By offering concession priced tickets to a select few clubs are forcing prices up for the many .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 25168
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: don't let it burn, don't let it fade

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby kenthammer1984 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 am

do we believe that the ticket prices will come down dramatically if/when we move to the Olympic Stadium?
User avatar
kenthammer1984
 
Posts: 1812
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Fionn on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:24 am

the pink palermo wrote:No Fionn , that is too simplistic .

There is demand , but at £1 a ticket , for kids , or £22 for a pensioner .

It's the 30 year old who used to go as a kid but cannot afford the £59 that is the issue .

Instead of KFAQ price adults at £15/20 and the ground would be full every week .

By offering concession priced tickets to a select few clubs are forcing prices up for the many .


I agree it’s too simplistic Pinky, apologies, I was being a bit glib.

I actually don’t mind the KFAQ programme for certain games. We often give out about the lack of young people at the games these days and it’s an active way to try get them involved and hooked. Like a drug dealer giving a free sample.

The simple fact is that we almost sell out every game by any means possible. Whether or not it’s the crowd we want personally is another matter but the hierarchy in the club are obviously doing something right in that regards.

In a utopia, tickets would be £15/20 as you say and hopefully it’ll return to those days soon. But until the arse falls out of football, I can’t see it changing for clubs like us anytime soon.
User avatar
Fionn
 
Posts: 15185
Joined: Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:03 am
Location: Location Location

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Turns to Stone on Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:41 pm

kenthammer1984 wrote:it's funny how the more money you earn you seem to see less of it? i am sure i was better off when i used to take home £650 a month working at halfords 7 years ago than i am now.

I have looked into going to work in London but a train season ticket from Canterbury to London is not far off £7,000 a year - so straight away i will need to earn at least £10,000 more a year in London to cover the cost of travel and to make it worth my time in respects of travelling.


Crazy isn't it. I work overseas for 2 or 3 months a year, and that's the only reason that I can afford to get the train (as I have about 4 months out of the office). I probably still end up spending about £4,500 a year on the train though. Plus I'm on the train at 6:43am every day.

You're right though, the more your earn, the more you spend. We should seemingly be only a couple of years away from me being able to get my season ticket back, the thing is though....I just don't thin it's worth it. I LOVE watching West Ham, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and I don't enjoy it enough to spend the amount they're currently charging me.
User avatar
Turns to Stone
 
Posts: 5110
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Tony Almeida

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby Pop Robson on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Fionn wrote:I actually don’t mind the KFAQ programme for certain games. We often give out about the lack of young people at the games these days and it’s an active way to try get them involved and hooked. Like a drug dealer giving a free sample.

The simple fact is that we almost sell out every game by any means possible. Whether or not it’s the crowd we want personally is another matter but the hierarchy in the club are obviously doing something right in that regards.


Swansea will be about our 7th KA£1 or Free Youth Academy game of the season, the kids will have suffering from an overdose !!!
User avatar
Pop Robson
 
Posts: 12796
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:12 pm

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby BSB1 on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:03 pm

kenthammer1984 wrote:do we believe that the ticket prices will come down dramatically if/when we move to the Olympic Stadium?


I do. If you're not selling out 35k at normal prices you're not going to sell 54k at the same prices. Pinky seems to disagree that we'll get much cheaper prices but as our owners earned their fortunes in the retail market my money is on them to get the pricing right. All this heavy discounting we get now could just be a marketing ploy to suck in new supporters for the OS. The old 'get am hooked and keep em hooked' routine.
User avatar
BSB1
 
Posts: 6536
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:54 pm
Location: The only thing to fear, is running out of beer

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby the pink palermo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:12 pm

BSB1 wrote:[I do. If you're not selling out 35k at normal prices you're not going to sell 54k at the same prices. Pinky seems to disagree that we'll get much cheaper prices .


Band 1 , half way line currently £860 ish iirc .

3% increase for the next 4 years would make that £967 , call it £960 for cash .

We shall see .
User avatar
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
 
Posts: 25168
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:00 pm
Location: don't let it burn, don't let it fade

Re: Away the lads... at a price

Postby GreenIron on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:15 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Instead of KFAQ price adults at £15/20 and the ground would be full every week.


Seems to be what he's suggesting here, once you get past the more patronising bits:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... uture.html
User avatar
GreenIron
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 61dicksey, BillyS, claret parrot, E.S, Google Adsense [Bot], Hammers Dad, hammertime A, Hampshire'ammer, hoops, Juhani, Memorial Ground, MSNbot Media, Nesticles, Norwegian Hammer, Persil Tickets, snooperpooper, The Clown, UtrechtHammer, west ham15 and 71 guests