Our away form and tactics

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Romford, Rio, Gnome, Northern Paulo, Lost Hammer, bonehead, chalks, goes2eleven, Alf Garnett's (Ex) Missus, bristolhammerfc, Wheels, sicknote

Our away form and tactics

Postby hawkins_hammer on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:04 pm

Our away form and tactics are alarmingly poor at the moment. I'm surprised that the team is playing so differently just because we're not at home. Interested to know why people think this is happening?

Personally I think Allardyce is being too timid and my concern is the pressure we are starting to put on our home form. We have been far more creative, dynamic and adventurous at home and we have been rewarded with more goals and points. Can Allardyce not recognise this? The last thing we want is our away form to affect us at home.
hawkins_hammer

Re: Our away form and tactics

Postby Logarithm on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm

It's probably because people sit off of us at home, you'll notice our players are useless when they're closed down quickly.
Logarithm

Postby Iron Spine v2.0 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Personally, I think it's fine and people are just knee jerking... 8-)
Iron Spine v2.0

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:13 pm

..... suck
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Location: In the back of The Gretta Garbo Home for wayward boys and girls

Postby MD_HM on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:14 pm

Noble and Diame are to blame :wink:
MD_HM

Postby Hammer83 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:17 pm

BFS sets up all away games to pick up a point.I hate this not only is it lacking ambition it is horrible and boring to watch.We almost always go a goal down and that's it game over, we can't win as we will not get 2 away goals in a game.Five all season which is piss poor our home form will keep us up this season but he needs a rethink for next season.
Hammer83

Postby 61dicksey on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:19 pm

If we are setting up for a point then we have no plan B when in the first 10 mins we concede .
I would rather go for it and lose than meekly roll over to teams as average as Sunderland and the like.
61dicksey

Postby Bobby Orangeboom on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:19 pm

It's not knee jerking, we have scored a goal away from home in 370 mins and that was when we were 0-3 down.

Not sure what it is, confidence plays a part, as do mistakes that we seem to continually make away from home.

I thought defensively we were awful today, both the 4 in the defence and the players playing that were supposed to protect them.

Diarra's first 90 mins of Premier League football thou in fairness.

Potts struggled really badly today and we got pulled all over the p,ace defensively, all over the pitch.

Missed Noble badly, JOB too.

But of course it's the other end that's a bigger problem.

A forward that could score a goal would be a bonus.

Nolan being badly out of form like he is at the moment isn't helping neither.
Bobby Orangeboom

Postby baritalia on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:22 pm

Bobby Orangeboom wrote:It's not knee jerking, we have scored a goal away from home in 370 mins and that was when we were 0-3 down.

Alarming, isn't it? If we don't count that we haven't scored away in more than 2 months.
baritalia

Postby Morocco Mole on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:24 pm

Today's shambles had nothing to do with tactics we just didn't compete, particularly in the middle of the park.

I take the point about our away form and there's no hiding from it but the side we put out today was decent enough.

As far as I could tell it was the same system we always play, home and away.....
Morocco Mole

Postby mjustincredible on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:26 pm

the record number of away wins last season feels like a lifetime ago already!
mjustincredible

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:31 pm

I dont care what anyone says- you cant play the same at home as you do away (in the prem). Sam might argue that we dont, from where im standing we do, and it looks *****.

If more teams took a chance and had a real go at us when we're at home rather than sit back like some do then I fear for us.

We've done very well this season and I dont think we'll go down, but our tactics are being sussed out and it needs to change quick, or we could be in trouble next season.
westham,eggyandchips

Location: Playing drums for the worlds greatest air guitar band.

Postby westhamerica on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Logarithm wrote:It's probably because people sit off of us at home, you'll notice our players are useless when they're closed down quickly.

This, 100%. Without a ball carrier in midfield like Diame we can't go from back to front when pressed. Noble has the ability to get out of tight spaces, too, which you could see was clearly an issue for us today. Only Nolan showed a glimpse of doing that on a handful of occasions.
westhamerica

Location: Watching the Mexican maestro Luis Montes on Univision

Postby The Rebirth on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 pm

I think some people forget we're playing for consolidation in the league and are too caught up in dreams of Europe! IMHO
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Location: With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world - Slaven Bilić

Postby Morocco Mole on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 pm

westhamerica wrote:This, 100%. Without a ball carrier in midfield like Diame we can't go from back to front when pressed. Noble has the ability to get out of tight spaces, too, which you could see was clearly an issue for us today. Only Nolan showed a glimpse of doing that on a handful of occasions.

We did get caught in possession a ridiculous amount of times today. :thup:

Again, I don't see what 'tactics' have to do with this though.....
Morocco Mole

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:44 pm

One potential excuse today is that we seem fairly safe in the league and maybe fancy our chances on Wednesday......

One aside.......most of our keystone cops moments at the back occur away from home.....
bubbles1966

Postby giantsteps on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Didn't watch the game from what I've heard this sounds like Swansea away mkII

We've always got a good capitulation or two in us per season. Typical WHU
giantsteps

Postby westhamdave1 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:03 pm

Iron Spine v2.0 wrote:Personally, I think it's fine and people are just knee jerking... 8-)

I got absolutely slaughtered when I got home from the Swansea game,got straight onto my pc,and voiced my views on such an abject,toothless,embarassing display.

I kept myself very quiet after the Reading game for some unknown reason.

But here we are again,YET AGAIN,looking as if we just dont want to be there.Its all too much effort.Lets get one thing very clear .... Sunderland are NOT a good team.End of,no argument.The difference,YET AGAIN,today is that we've come up against a team that are prepared to fight for every 50/50 ball (not that they needed to because we kept giving them the ball).

Shocking NON display.

Allardyce OUT.

Kneejerk over (for now)
westhamdave1

Postby simon1982 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:07 pm

Watched the game and we were crap all over the pitch. Very weak in midfield and also painfully slow, we weren't outdone by technical ability just more graft and will to win, they were first to everything!

I'm more concerned about our lack of ability to open up a team, we make some woeful decisions in the final 3rd!

Big chances for Collison and Diarra today - both didn't take them!

I hope people now realise what an important player noble is for us.
simon1982

Postby Puff Daddy on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 pm

westhamdave1 wrote:
I got absolutely slaughtered when I got home from the Swansea game,got straight onto my pc,and voiced my views on such an abject,toothless,embarassing display.

I kept myself very quiet after the Reading game for some unknown reason.

But here we are again,YET AGAIN,looking as if we just dont want to be there.Its all too much effort.Lets get one thing very clear .... Sunderland are NOT a good team.End of,no argument.The difference,YET AGAIN,today is that we've come up against a team that are prepared to fight for every 50/50 ball (not that they needed to because we kept giving them the ball).

Shocking NON display.

Allardyce OUT.

Kneejerk over (for now)

I think that's fair enough, meself
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Location: In the back of The Gretta Garbo Home for wayward boys and girls

Next

Return to General Discussion