Allardyce: Stick or twist?

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Re: Allardyce: Stick or twist

Post by -DL- »

Whufc06 wrote: I'd agree RARS because some people are being outright rude to others and **** all is being done about it as far as I can see. BILR has been pulled for labelling people fickle when far worse has been said. Now I'm not overly sensitive but site rules are clear and they are being ignored IMO.
Whufc06 wrote:This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Dyer's Leg wrote: Image
Seems the mods are doing just fine...
Whufc06
Has liked: 122 likes
Total likes: 373 likes

Post by Whufc06 »

I'm not suprised that comment was removed considering I was responding to about 4 post from him being a c*nt. As Romford says, treat people like you would in a pub, and he'd have got a smack in the mouth long before that reply in 'real' life. Many posters on here disagree with people sentiments with regards to each side of the argument, some can't be respectful though.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Whufc06 wrote:I'm not suprised that comment was removed considering I was responding to about 4 post from him being a c*nt.
I saw the post you put before it was deleted.

Which kind of makes writing...
Whufc06 wrote:site rules are clear and they are being ignored IMO.
...a tad hypocritical, no?
Whufc06

Post by Whufc06 »

I suppose you could look at it like that Dyers. The thing is I'm generally respectful of site rules but when someone continually acts as he was and is not being pulled on it then I felt it had to be said.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

BILR, whilst I don't agree with some of what he's saying and have had differing opinions for donkeys on this, is getting at possibly the most telling point out of all of this.

People ARE going overboard.

A few made the point on this thread a few times that quite a lot of those supporting Allardyce were doing so to simply re address some balance. Not to simply shout down anyone against the manager or not respect their opinions, but just to try and counter a lot of the abuse he got on so many opportunities.

That's all it was, just looking for some balanced, reasoned debate rather than spite-fuelled abuse.

Now, it's gone 180 and many think he's Jesus!

He's doing good and we're all doing good so yes, praise him and enjoy it, but we still need that balance otherwise it will just serve to skew further opinion if things should change.
-DL-
Bag Man

Post by -DL- »

Whufc06 wrote:I suppose you could look at it like that Dyers. The thing is I'm generally respectful of site rules but when someone continually acts as he was and is not being pulled on it then I felt it had to be said.
I'm taking the piss mate, I know how he can get under your skin. I'm pretty sure I had a run in with him a few years back.

Mind you, I'm pretty sure I've had a run in with most people at some point in my KUMB career.

Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Up the Junction wrote:You called your former stable mates "fickle". No need to really, was there.
Why not? They are.

I'm sorry, what is the problem here? I've seen people like Romford and Major absoluetly tear into people on this site, and not a word said.

Yet I point out that people who not three months ago were saying they thought Sam was a fat, useless disnosaur and worse, are now suddenly so in love with him they want to have his little Allardyces and raise him shoulder high all the way to the Russian World Cup after 4 wins in 6 games, and I'm getting dug out by the head honcho?

That's a low blow as well.
Whufc06

Post by Whufc06 »

Fair enough mate, I missed that! Whilst this debate is still going (not so much the stick or twist bit more the reasoning etc) it is generally well reasoned and respectful from both sides I feel. There are one or two though that just seem intent on trying to get a rise from others and I don't feel it's needed. I can accept people saying they think my opinion is wrong but to be labelled a liar and an idiot is crossing the line IMO.
QuintonNimoy

Post by QuintonNimoy »

Claretdave wrote:The difference between this season and the last couple of seasons could simply be described as luck.
On the flipside this makes any accusations of bad judgement on other players last season or prior to that simply bad luck.

There's always an element of a gamble in any signing and even the best managers don't get much better than a 50% success rate over their careers. We may have had our best transfer window ever, and that takes luck, but it's not all luck.

Regarding the general debate around whether anything has genuinely changed I don't recall any Sam sides, even the best ones, playing it on the floor as much as we are now. Even though Sullivan may have played to the gallery with his pronouncements on the subject, something has definitely changed and if there's genuinely no internal pressure on Sam then he's probably got the most talented group of players in his career. It also means we can expect the return of some route one when Carroll is back.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

Bend it like Repka wrote: I've seen people like Romford and Major absoluetly tear into people on this site, and not a word said.
Major's rants are f*cking epic to be fair. Life would be duller without them,
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 4389 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Is this the right place to say that I'm still not completely convinced by Sakho and Valencia?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Bend it like Repka wrote:Why not? They are.
I've got some sympathy with Bendy on this one. Not that I think he's ever been much right on Allardyce. Or that I think that people shouldn't be able to change their minds. I understood why many wanted him gone but I also understand why they now want him to stay bearing in mind the marked difference in performance and result. But there are a few whose views were so extreme against Sam last season that the 180 degree about face looks a tad mental when it seems so gushing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad more are pulling with the manager. It can only help West Ham. But if they can jump ship so spectacularly once they can and will do so again. I'm guessing these are the ones (and they are few in number) getting Bendy' goat.
Last edited by DaveWHU1964 on Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2016 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

bubbles1966 wrote:Is this the right place to say that I'm still not completely convinced by Sakho and Valencia?
I said that before Saturday's game. Im well pleased with what I've seen of them so far from both of them, I just have this nagging feeling about them.........and I can't put my finger on it.
beckton

Post by beckton »

bubbles1966 wrote:Is this the right place to say that I'm still not completely convinced by Sakho and Valencia?

Which one is Mike Small? :D

It wouldn't be the first time a player gets off to a flier and can't sustain it.
Bend it like Repka

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:People ARE going overboard.

Now, it's gone 180 and many think he's Jesus!
Thank you RARS, a sensible summary.

This is all the point I have been making.

Whether he was lucky to survive last year is now irrelevant. How much of the credit is his for our great start is an interesting debate. However if it not broken (any more) then don't fix it. If he keep this going, and this means the style of approach to games, not results by the way, then all will be fine and dandy.

If we lose 3 on the spin going for it and people want him out then that will be fickness in the extreme.

If we lose 3 on the spin and he reverts to safety first, respect the point stuff for the rest of the season, then maybe it will get a bit choppy again.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

The ghost of Stuart Slater.

If they turn out to be ****, we can start blaming Sullivan again.
Bend it like Repka

Did you cheer when they scored? Fickle. :wink:
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 233 likes
Total likes: 1504 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Last season when we were 18th, I thought Allardyce would pull us round and get us into the top 15. This year, I think we're a few places higher than we should be and we'll finish in the top 10.

I don't really think that much has changed other than the fact that we're playing with confidence, we have brought in 6 players who are better than 6 that left, all of our team can now run and we have the best midfielder I've seen in a West Ham shirt in 20 years.

Allardyce will always get the most out of what you give him. He always has. The more you give him, the more he'll give you back.

Those complaining last year thought he was a busted flush. He's not, he's a beautiful fountain blowing bubbles into the night sky.

I hope he* stays forever.

* By 'he' I obviously mean Alex Song.
Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 118 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Clucking Bell »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Yep. This thread has to go I think.
Not when we're so close to 1,500 pages :D All this effort can't be in vain, shirley?