Andy Carroll

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby spod on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:09 pm

Could have been another David Cross.
If it's true that his injuries are self-inflicted or the result of not taking proper care of himself, then he's the biggest idiot we've ever had at the club.
What a career he could have had.
User avatar
spod
 
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:28 am
Location: London

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby upton o'good on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:26 pm

I thought he was pretty crap when he did play for us. About 1 good game in 4. And encouraged us to play route 1 instead of football. All in, the biggest waste of money we've ever signed.
User avatar
upton o'good
 
Posts: 11150
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 10:50 am
Location: On the sofa, teaching Joanna to sing bubbles

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby stu1 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:35 pm

upton o'good wrote:I thought he was pretty crap when he did play for us. About 1 good game in 4. And encouraged us to play route 1 instead of football. All in, the biggest waste of money we've ever signed.


But was he 'unplayable' in that good game :wink:
User avatar
stu1
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby sutts07 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 pm

upton o'good wrote:encouraged us to play route 1 instead of football


That is my single biggest issue with having him in a starting XI.
As part of the squad and as an impact sub, I actually think he had more to offer than anyone, but the game has moved on with regards to player like him getting starting roles.
User avatar
sutts07
 
Posts: 9179
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Block 112, a far cry from CR1

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby ageing hammer on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:50 pm

He's a West Ham legend is Shandy Barrel Image
User avatar
ageing hammer
 
Posts: 18843
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:04 am
Location: Cockney Hammer's stunt double

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Pulls up Trees on Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:58 pm

upton o'good wrote:I thought he was pretty crap when he did play for us. About 1 good game in 4. And encouraged us to play route 1 instead of football. All in, the biggest waste of money we've ever signed.


I would argue that we put less crosses in when he plays, than when he doesn't...
User avatar
Pulls up Trees
 
Posts: 2384
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby stu1 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:05 pm

Pulls up Trees wrote:I would argue that we put less crosses in when he plays, than when he doesn't...


You might be right, as we've often struggled to get up the pitch when Carroll plays. Far too often we've resorted to Collins and Reid punting the ball over our midfielders heads at Carroll, which is actually quite ineffective.

Some of our play this season has been a joy to watch and Arnie's technical ability is very much a part of that. It's only a matter of time before we score a worldie team goal imo.
User avatar
stu1
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:57 pm

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Row X on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:19 pm

upton o'good wrote:I thought he was pretty crap when he did play for us. About 1 good game in 4. And encouraged us to play route 1 instead of football. All in, the biggest waste of money we've ever signed.


You're on the ball, you're being shut down in your own half, you have no options inside, or backwards, you have a monster up front that will win and make the ball stick up the oppo's half.... of course your knocking it long.

Plus the biggest waste of money probably kept us up last year with his goals late on in the season.

Pulls up Trees wrote:I would argue that we put less crosses in when he plays, than when he doesn't...


You're the opposition, Andy Carroll comes on. What's the first shout from everybody? "STOP THE CROSSES"
Row X
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: BML

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby sutts07 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Row X wrote:You're the opposition, Andy Carroll comes on. What's the first shout from everybody?


Kick him, pull his hair, crouch down behind him so he trips up and gets injured...
User avatar
sutts07
 
Posts: 9179
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Block 112, a far cry from CR1

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby kitthehammer on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:42 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:For the reasons I stated

Many footballers don't like the sport and treat it like a job. But they still manage to do it with utmost dedication, commitment and respect.

There is a difference between not liking it, and actively disliking it so that it is a long way down your list of priorities


Francis Rossi from Status Quo treats music the same. It's work. I believe that when he was asked about what other bands he goes to watch he said something along the lines of "why would i want to go and watch somebody working?" . It hasn't stopped him doing his job for 50 years plus, whatever you think of them.
User avatar
kitthehammer
 
Posts: 10154
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 2:11 am
Location: way out west in Egham

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:47 pm

One of the biggest myths is that he is actually a top quality player. He really isn't. He can attack a perfectly floated cross, but that is his only real above average skill

He is the archetypal flat track bully who can be effective at home to fairly crap teams, but completely ineffective against anyone half decent or away from home (one game against a very defensively weak Arsenal excepted, as i know someone will bang on about that)

Analysis of his goal haul and comparison of pointage and team goals scored when on the pitch vs when he isn't will prove the above, which is even more striking given we have had such a paucity of other striking options in the majority of his time since he has been here. He hasn't made us a better team, or a more successful team, even when the other options have been pretty crap

Thankfully (hopefully), only 8 months more to go...
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Mosterhammer on Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:One of the biggest myths is that he is actually a top quality player. He really isn't. He can attack a perfectly floated cross, but that is his only real above average skill

He is the archetypal flat track bully who can be effective at home to fairly crap teams, but completely ineffective against anyone half decent or away from home (one game against a very defensively weak Arsenal excepted, as i know someone will bang on about that)

Analysis of his goal haul and comparison of pointage and team goals scored when on the pitch vs when he isn't will prove the above, which is even more striking given we have had such a paucity of other striking options in the majority of his time since he has been here. He hasn't made us a better team, or a more successful team, even when the other options have been pretty crap

Thankfully (hopefully), only 8 months more to go...


:thup:
User avatar
Mosterhammer
 
Posts: 496
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:30 pm
Location: Out on a helicopter with Tevez!

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Row X on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:01 pm

sutts07 wrote:
Kick him, pull his hair, crouch down behind him so he trips up and gets injured...


So you understand the fear he puts into the opposition then :wink:
Row X
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: BML

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Patito on Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:58 pm

Row X wrote:Plus the biggest waste of money probably kept us up last year with his goals late on in the season.



Nope that was Arnautovic who was the main man that kept us up.
User avatar
Patito
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: Irons

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby iLoveLasagne on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:00 pm

Agree entirely with Crouchend. He isn't very technical nor mobile. The Newcastle version of Andy was far more dynamic. We bought the broken one trick pony version.
User avatar
iLoveLasagne
 
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:17 am

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Row X on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Patito wrote:
Nope that was Arnautovic who was the main man that kept us up.


Not David Moyes, who played the winger up front?
Row X
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: BML

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby pharaoh on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:23 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:Agree entirely with Crouchend. He isn't very technical nor mobile. The Newcastle version of Andy was far more dynamic. We bought the broken one trick pony version.

To score that goal against Palace? Not technical.? You may not like him but that is total rubbish
pharaoh
 
Posts: 1791
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:04 am
Location: North London

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Row X on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:24 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:Agree entirely with Crouchend. He isn't very technical nor mobile. The Newcastle version of Andy was far more dynamic. We bought the broken one trick pony version.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh_hhM8s-2Q

:scarfer:
Row X
 
Posts: 2154
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:32 pm
Location: BML

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Patito on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:28 pm

Row X wrote:Not David Moyes, who played the winger up front?


No, it was Arnautovic the striker who scored and assisted the goals and is continuing to do so, as a striker.

I see you've changed your answer from Carroll to Moyes already Image
User avatar
Patito
 
Posts: 8226
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: Irons

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby sutts07 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:31 pm

iLoveLasagne wrote:Agree entirely with Crouchend. He isn't very technical nor mobile.





Mobility and technique look decent in this clip...
User avatar
sutts07
 
Posts: 9179
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:55 pm
Location: Block 112, a far cry from CR1

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Al Fisti, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], lmb oneday, PF. and 44 guests