Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Mega Ron »

That header Andy scored in the final game at the Boleyn was something special. Not to mention the goal against Millwall.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Reid has missed a potential 69 games with injuries as a WHU player, while Carroll has missed a potential 135 games.

Not defending or attacking either, but pointing out that Carroll is still very much our king of the crocks where that competition is concerned
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

Mega Ron wrote:That header Andy scored in the final game at the Boleyn was something special. Not to mention the goal against Millwall.
Am I missing something here? Neither of those things happened
e17

Post by e17 »

He’s being sarcastic. Those were Reid’s moments
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

e17 wrote:He’s being sarcastic. Those were Reid’s moments
Now I’m with you! I get it now! :lol:
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Carroll could also be criticised for his footballing abilities as well.

For a player who is as tall and strong as he is, he doesn't create enough opportunities for us going forward, and too many for the opposition.

His positional awareness, dwelling on the ball in midfield and reckless challenges has cost us plenty of points.

In my humble opinion, this is the main reason he isn't sold. In addition to Sullivan's ego.
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

FYI anyone that's interested, a copy of the news from 18th December 2018:

Just d-Andy - Carroll bags 3rd hatrick in 4 games since comeback.

Andy Carroll this morning signed a bumper new deal that will keep him at West Ham until the end of his playing career.
"I canny believe me form" said the striker. "I feel like I'm finally ooer the worst of it. All me bad luck is finally run oot like"

And then from 19th December 2018:

Not-so-hAndy man - Carroll breaks down in training after monster session....on the beers.

It's not good news for Hammers fans, as Andy Carroll turned up to training under the influence and has injured himself. Early prognosis is looking bleak.
"He'll be out forever" the club doctors said. "During a routine training session, Andy obviously mistook the exercise for some sort of game he'd played on the beach in Magaluf and has ruptured everything. Who knows when we'll see him back, certainly not until next season. He's still quite intoxicated at the moment but once that wears off, he'll be devastated".
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Wayne Rooney - Phil Jones - Theo Walcott - Ya Ya Toure - Danny Welbeck - Jonny Evans - Mousa Dembele - Vincent Kompany - Luke Shaw - Theo Walcott - Samir Nasri - Kieran Gibbs - Jack Wilshere - Daniel Sturridge .

OK , they might not have been out for as long as Andy Carroll but since 2010 all of the above had more separate injuries than our player .

It's frustrating but I'm pretty sure a professional footballer would prefer to be out there playing rather than being at home with their feet up - they miss out on appearance related bonuses , goals scored bonuses etc . so by being at home their take home pay is less than had they been at work .

Everyone has an opinion and opinions are influenced by what we see - we don't see James Collins or Winston Reid being photographed in a pub with a pretty girl asking for a selfie - Andy is a good looking lad and will always get those type of requests .

When fit he's still an effective player , against certain teams and played in certain formations he's our most effective striker after Arnautovic . He's only with us for another 6 months or so , what comes after will be up to Pellegrini and Sullivan . I don't expect he'll get another 6 year contract but it wouldn't surprise me to see him kept on at West Ham on a contract that's beneficial to both paries as a 3rd choice striker .
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The why's and wherefor's don't matter anymore.

He's in the final year of his deal and the club won't take up the option of another two. If they can move him in January, they will.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

bubbles1966 wrote:The why's and wherefor's don't matter anymore.

He's in the final year of his deal and the club won't take up the option of another two. If they can move him in January, they will.
Who will take him?? just a shame we have to pay his salary until he does leave.
only1post
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by only1post »

Would be not just refuse and be free to negotiate for himself in the Summer?
Now he is injured again, do you not think the only way we get a fee is risking taking up the two year option?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

bubbles1966 wrote:The why's and wherefor's don't matter anymore.

can't he agree to sign elsewhere once it hits January
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

The worrying thing last season was that even when he got on the pitch he looked a shadow of his former self. Doesn't seem to jump as much or as high. Lost whatever mobility he had. Sadly the injuries seem to have taken their toll.

Wouldn't shock me if he retired at the end of the season.
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes

Post by claret parrot »

He won't retire while he's getting his 80k pw for doing SFA.

As I approach an age where I'm thinking about retirement after getting up at 5 am for the last thirty years, I think about the life savings my very decent salary has allowed me to acquire, then it occurs to me that c*** can "earn" that sitting on a beach for a fortnight.

Excuse me I have a sudden need to go and find a bucket.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Please don't anyone get worried about Andy losing out on his bonuses. I'm sure everyone has seen him advertising the Card Of Vanquis and it's express check service. I think they must pay him well.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

MB wrote:The worrying thing last season was that even when he got on the pitch he looked a shadow of his former self. Doesn't seem to jump as much or as high. Lost whatever mobility he had. Sadly the injuries seem to have taken their toll.

Wouldn't shock me if he retired at the end of the season.
I feared that too but then I thought he was excellent in his final few games for us, scored a couple of very good, important goals, even if they were just cameo appearances.

I've always been and always will be a fan of AC the player. Just a huge shame about his injuries and the career that never was.
e17

Post by e17 »

steveyrockstar wrote:I feared that too but then I thought he was excellent in his final few games for us, scored a couple of very good, important goals, even if they were just cameo appearances.

I've always been and always will be a fan of AC the player. Just a huge shame about his injuries and the career that never was.
He scored just the one goal for us between the end of January and April, to be fair to him it was that crucial injury time equalizer v Stoke. He’d gone without a league goal for us between the start of December 2016 to January 2018 before that though.

The injury intervals have in my opinion destroyed the moniker of “unplayable” that he’d often get given when fit, I’m with those who thought he looked a lesser player for the short periods he was available last season
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

TOMOS, you're a nice bloke, and you have the laudable habit of seeing the best in everyone.You've been in this guy's corner as long as I can remember, and you make some valid points re him being unplayable on his day. I'm not so bothered about his off-pitch shenanigans, there's been plenty of players who have managed to combine them with a decent,lengthy career. What seems , to me at least, undeniable is the complete disaster his signing of a 6 year contract for us was. He's not to blame for that, and his personal reputation has probably suffered more than it should have done BECAUSE of it, but at a time when money was tight (thanks GSB) this was a perfect example of how not to run a football club.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

The Old Man of Storr wrote:
It's frustrating but I'm pretty sure a professional footballer would prefer to be out there playing rather than being at home with their feet up - they miss out on appearance related bonuses , goals scored bonuses etc . so by being at home their take home pay is less than had they been at work .
AC is possibly the only footballer where I think, he isn't bothered one-way or another about playing.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3054 likes

Post by MB »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
AC is possibly the only footballer where I think, he isn't bothered one-way or another about playing.
He is far from the only player in that position.

I've had my share of knee injuries and tbh there are days where I'd happily pop a few codeine and stick the covers over my head rather than go to work and I've got an office job!

How someone in that position keeps the motivation to do something physical knowing they will pay a heavy price later in life I don't know.

Yes he earns a lot of money but he is still human flaws and all.