Andy Carroll

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Patito on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:45 pm

DDHammer wrote:Carroll last 10 years Prem goals:

06/07 - 0
07/08 - 0
08/09 - 3
09/10 - Championship
10/11 - 13
11/12 - 4
12/13 - 7
13/14 - 2
14/15 - 5
15/16 - 9
16/17 - 7

Dreadful return.



In the Premier League for us - 30 goals in 97 games, many of which weren't starts. His return, when he plays, is good, it's just he doesn't play nearly enough.
User avatar
Patito
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:51 pm
Location: "With the greatest respect to women, football is the most beautiful thing in the world."

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Jumby on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:46 pm

Exactly, a return as good as anyone we've had for about 30 years in the top division.
User avatar
Jumby
 
Posts: 8845
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm
Location: Sparring with Michail Antonio

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Turns to Stone on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:48 pm

DDHammer wrote:Carroll last 10 years Prem goals:

06/07 - 0
07/08 - 0
08/09 - 3
09/10 - Championship
10/11 - 13
11/12 - 4
12/13 - 7
13/14 - 2
14/15 - 5
15/16 - 9
16/17 - 7

Dreadful return.


Similar to Carlton Cole....who was also a striker we relied upon and never really bothered buying any support for. As I've said many times, the last time we had a group of strikers capable of coping with the rigours of a Premier League season was Bellamy, Ashton, Zamora and Cole. As you can see, that included a couple of sicknotes, but it didn't matter because we had good enough support. We then ended up keeping the 4th choice of those as our main striker for the next 5 years.

We now have one Premier League standard striker who's only capable of around 15 - 20 starts per season, we have one Premier League standard striker who has the hump and refuses to play for us and we have 3 youngsters who may or may not be up to it.

That's not Andy Carroll's fault. Just as it wasn't Carlton Cole's fault that he was the only striker we had for 3 years.
User avatar
Turns to Stone
 
Posts: 7822
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Tony Almeida

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Ifebbubbles on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Bellamy, Ashton, Cole, Zamora.

Makes you wonder how we could now have the trainwreck of a striker situation in comparison despite playing in a ground twice as big.

Only Westham
Ifebbubbles
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Ozza on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:52 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote:Makes no odds anyway. The fact of the matter is, no other team in the prem will pay him anywhere close to 75 grand. So its irrelevant. The sad part is that it affects our ability to fund a quality striker who can play/score regularly in his absence.


Trust me it certainly DOES NOT affect our chance to sign a quality striker, what a ridiculous thing to say
User avatar
Ozza
 
Posts: 12659
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Stringfellows

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Ifebbubbles on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Ozza wrote:
Trust me it certainly DOES NOT affect our chance to sign a quality striker, what a ridiculous thing to say


The last 3 transfer windows says differently.

Show me evidence supporting your argument.
Ifebbubbles
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby DDHammer on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:54 pm

His minutes per goal is good for us, but for a striker so highly regarded to not hit double figures in over 6 years is a dreadful return for me.

He hasn't scored a cup goal in 6 years either.
User avatar
DDHammer
 
Posts: 3676
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:56 pm
Location: Hornchurch

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Jumby on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:56 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote:Bellamy, Ashton, Cole, Zamora.


As injury prone a quartet as you're likely to find during their time with us, there was a period where three of those were on our books at the same time, never all fully fit at the same time.
User avatar
Jumby
 
Posts: 8845
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm
Location: Sparring with Michail Antonio

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Jumby on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote:The last 3 transfer windows says differently.

Show me evidence supporting your argument.


That's the board, not Andy Carroll.
User avatar
Jumby
 
Posts: 8845
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:53 pm
Location: Sparring with Michail Antonio

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Ozza on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:57 pm

Behave life, do you think our owners would be raising their skirts at the likes of batshit etc last summer if there was a problem, what were we going to pay them, peanuts?


"show me facts" give it a rest,
User avatar
Ozza
 
Posts: 12659
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Stringfellows

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Turns to Stone on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Ifebbubbles wrote:Makes no odds anyway. The fact of the matter is, no other team in the prem will pay him anywhere close to 75 grand. So its irrelevant. The sad part is that it affects our ability to fund a quality striker who can play/score regularly in his absence.


I don't think it does. No more that the fact that we also pay Adrian's wages (whilst it appears that he is unpickable for whatever reason) or Sakho's wages (who refuses to play for us).

Andy Carroll's wages have nothing to do with this. If we don't have the budget for another striker, then we probably shouldn't have signed Snodgrass. Again, this is not Andy Carroll's fault. And frankly he's someone who has always given his all for West Ham and I think is actually worth his wages....as opposed to someone like say Sakho or Arbeloa.
User avatar
Turns to Stone
 
Posts: 7822
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:21 am
Location: Tony Almeida

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Marky on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:58 pm

Ozza wrote:Carroll is on 75k per week where's this 100k come from?



I thought it was 90k.
Wr should cut our losses and get rid.
User avatar
Marky
 
Posts: 10742
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 4:27 pm
Location: Sullivan has killed this club

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Ifebbubbles on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Ozza wrote:Behave life, do you think our owners would be raising their skirts at the likes of batshit etc last summer if there was a problem, what were we going to pay them, peanuts?


"show me facts" give it a rest,


I suppose you also believe we were going to sign Neymar?
Ifebbubbles
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Ozza on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 pm

Wages aint the problem about our signings, otherwise we wouldnt have paid Fonte and Snodgrass kings wages, or Zaza or given le sulk a nice rise.

typical lob some **** at Carroll as it all his fault mentality, pathetic
User avatar
Ozza
 
Posts: 12659
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Stringfellows

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:00 pm

The trouble with keeping Carroll as Plan A is that whoever is 'back-up' needs to be a similar style of player and there are not many of them about

No point having a Carroll and a Defoe type and then rotating them or whatever, as both would dictate our style of play differently and there would be no consistency

If the club still see Ccarroll as the main man, then you need buy another Gestede or a Llorente etc to compete with him

Personally would prefer a different type of striker leading the line at West Ham so if we can off load then that would be ideal, not so much in terms of the monetary savings, more we can then build a consistent style of play and squad to suit a striker who is more likely to play 30+ games
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 7873
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby YorksHammer on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:19 pm

The most frustrating thing about Carroll is that if he could stay fit and play every game in a season, he'd easily be a 15-20 league goal a season striker over the last three years:

16/17: 7 goals in 1314 minutes converts to 16 goals in 2970 minutes
15/16: 9 goals in 1431 minutes converts to 21 goals in 3420 minutes
14/15: 5 goals in 1026 minutes converts to 17 goals in 3420 minutes

Much as he might be a slight financial issue for the club, I'd sure hate to see us lining up against him.
YorksHammer
 
Posts: 2553
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:03 pm

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:20 pm

Ive said this quite a few times but i'll say it again. Carroll should not be our No1 striker purely because he cant keep fit for long enough. We should get somebody in to be that man and then we can use him sparingly, which hopefully in turn will mean he actually gets through a whole season or at least most of it without breaking down.

new striker
Carroll
Sakho/new striker
Fletcher

I'd love Incheceo or whatever is name is from Man City, even if it was just a seasons loan. I wouldnt mind Son from Spurs either although i think that might also be wishful thinking. Then either sort out Sakho or get rid and replace him. Fletcher is perfectly suitable as a fourth striker. I actually feel sorry for him that Calleri has been given more game time.
User avatar
Cockneyboy311
 
Posts: 6867
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:23 pm
Location: Fascination Street

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby the celestial insect on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm

Sometimes I wonder whether the Carroll signing, and what happened since, was the tipping point that made the board revert to type with their signings.
User avatar
the celestial insect
 
Posts: 3993
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:06 am
Location: on some faraway beach

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Beavis Danzig on Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Personally would prefer a different type of striker leading the line at West Ham so if we can off load then that would be ideal, not so much in terms of the monetary savings, more we can then build a consistent style of play and squad to suit a striker who is more likely to play 30+ games


none of the strikers slav wanted in the summer were anything like carroll and the one big number 9 who was available he by all accounts wasn't interested in.

he's had to make do, but slav having to set up his team week in week out with a big target man because he doesn't have anyone who can run in behind is like like fat sam being forced to play a false 9 who can't head a ball all season.
User avatar
Beavis Danzig
 
Posts: 3445
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue

Re: Andy Carroll

Postby Crouchend_Hammer on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Yes, which is my point
What is the point of keeping Carroll (as first choice), if Bilic doesn't really want to play with that type of striker?
Crouchend_Hammer
 
Posts: 7873
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:31 am
Location: Forest Gate

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Beavis Danzig, Centre Half, claretandblue82, cthammer, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Hindley Hammer, Jim Hepting, Modern, stouffer, thejackhammer, Westbourne Bill, Yahoo [Bot] and 72 guests