Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Lascelles is not for sale and certainly not for less than 40m. If he was, Arsenal/ Chelsea/ Man u would be all over it
claret parrot
Location: caught between the devil and the deep fried camembert.
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by claret parrot »

I guess every player has his price but I agree you'd be talking north of £35m. Maybe even £45m.

Going back a while I was talking about Lascelles when he was at Forest ... and banging on about signing Trippier from Burnley or Andrew Robertson while he was still in Scotland. Yeah I got a few wrong n' all I don't claim to be a genius but I do get so frustrated about the good ones I called.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

claret parrot wrote:I guess every player has his price but I agree you'd be talking north of £35m. Maybe even £45m.

Going back a while I was talking about Lascelles when he was at Forest ... and banging on about signing Trippier from Burnley or Andrew Robertson while he was still in Scotland. Yeah I got a few wrong n' all I don't claim to be a genius but I do get so frustrated about the good ones I called.
Trippier looked a good call when he was with Burnley, he was a Man City youth player. I was told Maguire was a donkey when I suggested him when he was at Hull; yes we can do better than that!!
PalmaHammer

Post by PalmaHammer »

Hopefully the last crock we will ever sign (Wilshire aside :oops: )
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

Can't wait to hopefully see him gone this time next year when his contract is up. I wanted him signed as much as anybody. But whoever's idea it was to stupidly give him a 6 year contract, let alone the ridiculous wages needs shooting.

I honestly couldn't believe there were people on here that even wanted to keep him again for another season. He once again was unreliable last season. And was appalling for the majority of games he did even play in. The West Brom game and Stoke game at home was all he contributed to ALL SEASON.

And to say he is unlucky about all his injuries is laughable. Just read comments from a lot of ex players and managers to read what man is like.

If I was the owner I would personally rip up his contract now.
claret parrot

Post by claret parrot »

You know I'm sure if I was Carroll I would have said to the club a long time ago that I'm really sorry about my injury record and would agree to halve my salary for the periods when I'm not fit to play.

It's not like £40 or £45k per week would be a struggle to live on, and it would show the fans he isn't just a worthless freeloader with no conscience.

In his position I would hate to think 250,000 plus WHU fans consider me to be a useless waste of millions of pounds, and one of the worst mistakes WHU have made in modern times. It doesn't appear to bother him in the slightest ... have yer seen me passport pet?
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

funky chicken wrote:
Wow, I didn't even realise you could do that. Entered into a contract you no longer like? Just rip it up and it doesn't count. Cool.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

claret parrot wrote:You know I'm sure if I was Carroll I would have said to the club a long time ago that I'm really sorry about my injury record and would agree to halve my salary for the periods when I'm not fit to play.
He would end up owing us money :D

I still say half of his "injuries" are drink related
ThreeSixes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by ThreeSixes »

Hammer1972 wrote:
Wow, I didn't even realise you could do that. Entered into a contract you no longer like? Just rip it up and it doesn't count. Cool.
If the contract was to provide you with services, and those services were never provided?
claret parrot

Post by claret parrot »

I wouldn't rule it out but even if not drink related I'm sure he could take care of himself a lot better and not be as injury prone as an old lady of 95.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

he isn't going to change now though ! we have one more season of him as we cant sell him or give him away on a free. he should not be part of our plans for this season and we should sign another player to take his place in the squad. danny ings has been mentioned and would not cost too much.

carroll will return just before xmas and then be injured so he has time off with the family.

time to forget the carthorse
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

While I get that people are annoyed with Andys injuries, I must admit that I find it interesting that Winston Reid, a player with arguably an even worse record than big Andy, gets almost no critisism.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

funky chicken wrote:
Hammer1972 wrote:Wow, I didn't even realise you could do that. Entered into a contract you no longer like? Just rip it up and it doesn't count. Cool.
In the "real" world can you be dismissed from your employer for being regularly off-sick?

Ultimately, thats what poppadom is doing.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Ludeksgloves wrote:While I get that people are annoyed with Andys injuries, I must admit that I find it interesting that Winston Reid, a player with arguably an even worse record than big Andy, gets almost no critisism.
I think that is because in Carrolls case, more than one manager has questioned his lifestyle and commitment as a professional footballer, whereas in Reid's case there has been no suggestion of him being anything but a good professional, so the feeling is that at least some of Carroll's injuries may have been preventable, whereas in Reid's case there is nothing that could have prevented the injuries
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

swash wrote: I think that is because in Carrolls case, more than one manager has questioned his lifestyle and commitment as a professional footballer, whereas in Reid's case there has been no suggestion of him being anything but a good professional, so the feeling is that at least some of Carroll's injuries may have been preventable, whereas in Reid's case there is nothing that could have prevented the injuries
I agree, this seems to be the consensus, a number of managers have questioned Carroll approach to his profession, i don't think there has ever been a question about how he trains etc (basically when he walks onto the training ground or the pitch its always maximum effort) however as soon as he leaves its in his personal time which has come into question. I know there can be many arguments that "well its in his time he can do what he wants" however fortunately or unfortunately for athletes that they need to be on it all of the time and it starts at home. Drinking regularly, partying constantly, not taking care of himself outside of work ultimately affects him in work which is why he gets so much bad press and a hard time of it. He was also our highest paid player ever for a number of seasons so you would expect alot more for your buck.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Does anyone think that if the Dave's could see a legal route to binning Carroll off and saving themselves 80K a week they wouldn't have done it already....

Which should tell you isn't that simple.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

David Sullivan could have sold Carroll for £10-20M, paid 1/4th of his wage, and saved :crest: wage + recouped a portion of the transfer fee.

He has chosen not to.
Probably because a replacement would demand a decent wage.
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

claret parrot wrote:I guess every player has his price but I agree you'd be talking north of £35m. Maybe even £45m.

Hey we are West ham, we love a loser :thup:
rciron
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Last edited by the pink palermo on Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Potentially libellous comment removed .
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Doesnt surprise me in the slightest