Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

swerley

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by swerley »

I wouldn't start Carroll regularly. I would play Chichirito off Antonio to start, and bring Andy in as a sub.
Stinks but too many game minutes would mean back to the medical ward.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Would it be deemed stupid and ridiculous to just play Chic and Andy down the middle? 2 up top.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Whether you like carroll or not, there is no way you can play him, hernandez, lanzini and antonio in the same team, without Hernandez being wasted out wide, or Antonio wasted at RWB

For me, for most games Hernandez and Antonio should fill two of the front '3' with Lanzini behind. The other widish position in front 3 should be Ayew or Arnie
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5555 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Would it be deemed stupid and ridiculous to just play Chic and Andy down the middle? 2 up top.
In a 352 with Lanzini behind would be lovely. In a 442 we'd get murdered!
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

Was frustrating that Chicha was 20 yards behind him everytime he won a header. Antonio was in-front but way too close. Hope that one is worked on in training.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

Not wantin* to be one of those Anti-Carroll type supporters but today was a strange one. Last week we played our better football without him and then decided to place him in the starting 11 this week. I know he normally has a good game against Swansea however for the majority of the match he was anonymous. Taking off Hernandez was a strange decision as I thought his hold up play was a lot better than Andy’s up to that point!

The MOTM decision is always a ‘who do you want to meet’ question than a performance vote so I’m not going to dwell on that, however is there something in his contract that stops him from a) being a sub if fit the previous match or b) not being allowed to be subbed unless he has an assist or goal? His involvement has just seemed to be the wrong decisions as of late and appears to be forced than a natural decision
NorthBank86
Location: Halfway up the North Bank, by the right hand post behind the goal
Has liked: 84 likes

Post by NorthBank86 »

Really dismayed today (Swansea) that in the first half every time our fullbacks got the ball to distribute, our entire midfield started jogging away from them, more often than not failing to show for a pass between them. Clearly part of a game plan that was to bypass the midfield and go straight to Carroll, for the knock down.

It was ugly, ineffective and I think actually demoralises the players as well as the supporters.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Carroll's become the on line fall guy.

Destroys our shape, causes Hernandez to be played out of position, hitting long balls, unreliable, lost us the Spurs game, questionable lifestyle....

Today his MOTM was greeted with boos and I learned on the train home that his contract says he has to play if fit.

Most of it is b*llocks. Carroll's a fine player - he offers us so much all over the pitch and has always given 101% - which has often been to his detriment. His flick onto the bar was very nearly a top class goal and the clattering of the goalie was as good as any circa '77.

Even if it's not in the contract, I'd play him most weeks.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I wouldn't. I'd like to see Sakho and Hernandez given a run together. I'd use Carroll as an impact sub. His positioning was all over the place (although not alone in that respect) and apart from the lob that hit the bar he was back to scuffing and mishitting the ball.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... erseyside/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you what?
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

What's the odds he goes up there is never injured, is brilliant and plays for England in the World Cup !

Bet Koeman would keep him on the straight and narrow.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

brooking_1980 wrote:What's the odds he goes up there is never injured, is brilliant and plays for England in the World Cup !

Bet Koeman would keep him on the straight and narrow.
Straight and narrow? Like Rooney then?!

I really really don’t think Carroll and Hernandez can play together. If anything Carroll became more effective and more of a threat when Hernandez went off.
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

big man little man just isn't a thing anymore. unless you have two very smart/pacy players who know the most effective time to run the channels and come deeper, you're better off just having one with a clear M.O.

i'm sure everyone will retroactively change their opinion on playing the two of them up top together now we've seen what it actually looks like.

oddly enough the striker i have most faith in to bag a goal is the one who tried to deport himself a month ago.
woodywoody
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by woodywoody »

Works hard for the team all game and lethal with long balls and crosses in the box but will never be a starter for any top team who wants to outplay the opposition. With football.
A lethal sub to have but to build or play a team to his strengths from the start...NO THANKS.
'Appy 'Ammer
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 53 likes

Post by 'Appy 'Ammer »

I always thought they should play like Niall Quinn and Kevin Phillips did for Sunderland
Bonzos4Lagers
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by Bonzos4Lagers »

For the first time today, I thought big Andy looked like a dinosaur in the modern game.

I wish he'd stop whining and throwing tantrums at the ref. He just looks pathetically silly. Get on with it. Old-fashioned centre forward my ar$e. Give it out, take it, get on with it.

I've been a fan of his since he joined us, but I have to say that I'm beginning to question what he brings to us on a match day, and the impact he has on our tactics.

Just keeping it real.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

20m?
Tempted to say bite Everton's arm off even though I quite like him.
trevshead10may1980

Post by trevshead10may1980 »

Does anyone really believe what they read in the Sun?
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

No one is bidding £20m for this overpaid cart horse. We stuck with him until he leaves on a free.

England striker your having a laugh.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Doc H Ball wrote:Carroll's a fine player - he offers us so much all over the pitch and has always given 101% - which has often been to his detriment.
Agree. I have always been a fan of Big Andy and have defended him on here many times. His effort is always there but as you say, he tries too hard sometimes and that contributes to his injuries. He can make a difference and can offer us a get out of jail card but unfortunately he no longer warrants a starting place. Impact sub for me.