Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

to be fair you could find a highlights reel for pretty much every attacking professional footballer
ManInTheIronsMask.
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by ManInTheIronsMask. »

That's how we ended up with Bunburry and Boogers.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

SXreject wrote:although being a Slav supporter if he doesn't start with sakho and chicho against Brighton after Carroll for the ban then there really is no hope and he deserves to go. What better game for those two to play against a team we should beat.
what a bizarre, muggy comment. i want slav to play a 4231 because i think our midfield is our best asset and would rather have a midfield triangle of obiang, kouyate and lanzini. if he (a premiership manager) disagrees with me (a nobody on a message board) i'm not enough of a dilbert to think that means there's no hope for him and he should be out on his aris.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:to be fair you could find a highlights reel for pretty much every attacking professional footballer
And often with two highlights from the same season.

He's not a terrible player but he's often an infuriating one. He has ability but I'm not sure he (or the team, perhaps) knows how to make it effective - would say he's a bit inconsistent. Even the effort he puts in can seem vastly different from one game to another - perhaps he's being told not to charge all over the field as much, or vice versa, and takes the instruction to the extreme.
The team play very predictably when he's on though. And perhaps that one-dimensional approach isn't really to his strength - how often have we seen high balls into the box while he's out wide, or low crosses when he's in the middle?
I think he works better as a hustling, bustling centre forward using his size to get on the end of things rather than as a target man expected to flick on a ball or hold up play.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:to be fair you could find a highlights reel for pretty much every attacking professional footballer

A 'terrible' footballer wouldn't have scored those 3.
Patito

Post by Patito »

SXreject wrote:although being a Slav supporter if he doesn't start with sakho and chicho against Brighton after Carroll for the ban then there really is no hope and he deserves to go. What better game for those two to play against a team we should beat.

We are to one dimensional with him in the team.

If he played Chicharito on his own, with Sakho on the bench, and won 5-0 would he still deserve sacking?
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Not many players score 11-minute hat-tricks against the Arse.
Hello there!

Post by Hello there! »

Patito wrote:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Terrible footballer. Absolutely nothing about him.

Swallows, summer, etc.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Hello there! wrote:
Swallows, summer, etc.

Compelling argument.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

DasNutNock wrote:Not many players score 11-minute hat-tricks against the Arse.
Meh

Robbie Fowler done it in 5...
Crouchend_Hammer

Patito wrote:

A 'terrible' footballer wouldn't have scored those 3.
of course he is not a 'terrible' footballer. No professional footballer, or even semi-pro footballers are 'terrible'

however, IMHO he is hugely overrated, and his impact is hugely overated, simply because he is English, a bit of a lad who likes a booze, and a throwback to the big centre forwards of yesteryear

some people will like him for that very reason. and fair enough, i can see why people would like that. personally, i have no interest in West Ham playing a battering ram style striker

stick a perfect cross in the box where he can take a running leap and there is a good chance he will work the keeper. However, that is just not a efficient approach, as those type of crosses are not easy to produce against decent defences. Other than that, I think he is a very average player (and by 'average' I mean in the context of a top-level striker, not the global population)

Signing Carroll on a six year contract has defined our entire approach ever since, and in my opinion held us back. It really was a very bad decision, and would have been, IMHO, regardless of the injury situation

Regardless of the what, why, who, I'm at a stage now where I'm just utterly fed up of supporting West Ham with Andy Carroll in it's squad list.
Hammer1972
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 213 likes

Post by Hammer1972 »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Signing Carroll on a six year contract has defined our entire approach ever since, and in my opinion held us back. It really was a very bad decision, and would have been, IMHO, regardless of the injury situation
That's easy to say in hindsight. But at the time it was seen as a coup for him to join us and it could have all worked out very differently if injuries and lifestyle had not been such a huge factor.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
of course he is not a 'terrible' footballer. No professional footballer, or even semi-pro footballers are 'terrible'
This is what I was getting at, just a stupid post that I was unable to scroll past. Image
Crouchend_Hammer wrote: however, IMHO he is hugely overrated, and his impact is hugely overated, simply because he is English, a bit of a lad who likes a booze, and a throwback to the big centre forwards of yesteryear

some people will like him for that very reason. and fair enough, i can see why people would like that. personally, i have no interest in West Ham playing a battering ram style striker

stick a perfect cross in the box where he can take a running leap and there is a good chance he will work the keeper. However, that is just not a efficient approach, as those type of crosses are not easy to produce against decent defences. Other than that, I think he is a very average player (and by 'average' I mean in the context of a top-level striker, not the global population)

I agree with the rest of that 100%.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

This season's scapegoat number 2 by the looks of it.

For some reason we now have an element in our fan base that are not happy unless they are moaning, so they have to dig someone out.

At the moment they have 2 that they are picking on.

Mark Noble and Andy Carroll.

If they were called Marcus Noblio and Andros Carrolla they wouldn't get half the stick they do.

I guarentee you if you asked every center back in the league, who would they rather play against when playing West Ham, 90% of them would not name Carroll as the one they want to play against. Teams fear him, he wins everything that is thrown up to him. OK, Saturday he was stupid, on another day, another ref doesn't give the first one, so the 2nd one don't happen.

Remember when supporting West Ham was a day out and a laugh, and not turning up to a game and moaning for the entire 90 minutes (and looks like it carries on after the game on here as well). We've never been great, the last f'ing thing we won was 37 years ago! All I ask for, is that our players give 100% for the cause on the day. Andy always does that for us, and for that reason he's gets my backing.

I'll say it again, he was a silly boy on Saturday, he'll learn from it and move on. Just like we should all now move on, the game is done a dusted. We now look onwards and upwards.
Crouchend_Hammer

Hammer1972 wrote:

That's easy to say in hindsight. But at the time it was seen as a coup for him to join us and it could have all worked out very differently if injuries and lifestyle had not been such a huge factor.

There was a few of us on here who were quite vocal against the signing at the time. To be honest, it hasn't been a disastrous signing by any means. Just think it has dominated everything, especially our approach to signing attacking players, ever since

Not sure why it was a couple either, given no one else was interested
Last edited by Crouchend_Hammer on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Meh

Robbie Fowler done it in 5...
Perhaps, but since he's a scouse ****, it doesn't count.

Narf good, though
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

Agreed.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 245 likes

Post by steps »

Row X wrote:This season's scapegoat number 2 by the looks of it.

If they were called Marcus Noblio and Andros Carrolla they wouldn't get half the stick they do.
A very tired argument mate. Players normally get dug out if they're playing crap, not due to nationality.

Carroll has offered us very little this season apart from grief. He deserves the critisim, as would any other player not pulling their weight.