Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2640 likes
Total likes: 1746 likes

Re: Carroll thread.

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:Old Man of Storr - yes I was at the Fulham game and he played well, admittedly against a very average team. I also saw Carlton Cole destroy Chelsea and Everton (until he got sent off). In my opinion, Carroll's performances last season were massively over-hyped (when he was actually fit), most of the time i thought he was fairly average (especially against the decent teams where you expect him to step up). Certainly not worth the gay singing at him to sign up at the last game (cringe-worthy) and our one-eyed pursuit for him for the entire summer period at the expense of other potential targets. No other clubs were interested in him, and i think that pretty much says it all, and yet he still took all summer to sign. hardly banging our door down to play for us.
You pay your money and you're entitled to your opinion , and good on you .
Personally , I'm a huge fan of Andy Carroll but I would understand that not everyone is and I wouldn't insult those folk , I would just try to put my point of view as best as I could in a friendly manner .
We're all different , and we've all got different opinions .
alkali
Has liked: 44 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by alkali »

as they say, opinions are like arseholes....everyone's got one
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

beckton wrote:
When Downing was signed there were plenty of quotes from them saying it was Allardyce's choice to sign a winger over a centre forward with the last of the transfer budget.
I'm not convinced about that. I thought the board also said that fees themselves weren't a problem, but because of financial fair play wages were.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

sutts07 wrote:This is the same Villa side who are just five points in front of us and could not manage a goal against us right??

It is tough to compare the two as they already had one great 22 goals per season striker (just as well they did too) so picking up a couple of mid - low priced back up options was their priority in the summer.

We didn't have that type of player in place so our priority had to be to try and spend big to get one.
I was more making the point about getting the backup in rather than where Villa are compared to us in the table. I think with any sort of half decent striker in the Carroll mould playing for us up front would have left us far better off than we have been this season. We have played well and been unlucky in quite a few games and its our toothlessness up front which is costing us
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Whufc06 wrote:It's very blinkered to believe that what's happened to Carroll this season is just bad luck. It seems our management were as blinkered as some fans, I just hope it doesn't cost us our place in the division.
Exactly.

For example, who on here (money no object) would buy a 2nd hand Ferrari that has a history of breaking down for £100k? Thought not.
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

I'm absolutely convinced we will never see Carroll play again. It's just the West Ham way.

Had Demba Ba stayed, his knees would have gone and we would have had to pay him 4-5 years wages.
Lilyhammer

Post by Lilyhammer »

Just been given an electric bike according to his official Twitter account and a photo with him and said bike posted aswell,
Lets hope they give him a set of staberlisers to go it aswell!!!!!
Disaster waiting to happen!!!!!
goingunderground
Has liked: 39 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by goingunderground »

Welling wrote:I'm pretty sure that if everything had gone to plan, the vast majority of West Ham fans would have agreed that the intended line-up of

Jaaskelainen

Demel
Reid
Tomkins
Rat

Downing
Noble
Diame
Morrison
Jarvis

Carroll

Subs: Adrian, O'Brien, Collins, Diarra, Nolan, Vaz Te, J Cole

Would have been one of the most exciting West Ham sides for a good number of years and probably the best of all the sides outside the top 6. It hasn't happened yet, but I'm hopeful we'll see it just after Xmas.

In my 41 years as a Hammer, we've been in far worse situations.
Exactly! It's a great line-up, we've just been very, very unlucky with injuries.

This mystical 'coulda-woulda' striker doesn't exist, so people need to just be patient ,support the team and hope our luck changes. Once we have luck on our side - and we will - we'll be a real force in the cups and probably finish around 10-13th. I'd take that.

And let's get behind Big Sam. Otherwise what's the point?

IRONS.
Lilyhammer

Post by Lilyhammer »

With it!
Bloody phone!
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Replace Jarvis (who is a shocking player) with Vaz Te and, yes, this is a pretty decent line-up. However, the chances of that team ever playing together are very very remote, given Alladyce has fallen out with Diame for some unknown reason, there is no guarantee that Carroll will ever be fit and, if he does play, Alladyce will definitely pick Nolan
Puncher12
Has liked: 51 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Puncher12 »

Jarvis is a lot better than Vaz Te.
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

Andy Carroll, a poor man's Ismael Urzaiz
Absentee Hammer

Post by Absentee Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:And regarding his year long trial, he was injured for half of it. Hardly a ringing endorsement for signing him up!

Which is why he is a £15M player not a £35M player, who on earth would pay that sort of money for him....oh wait :wink:
Crouchend_Hammer

Puncher - not in my opinion FWIW

I think Vaz offers far more to the side than Jarvis, and we are a much better team when he is in it. The 4-6-0 only really worked against Spurs because we had Vaz Te playing in it. His record this season is something like 6 starts and 4 goals which is not to be sniffed at.

Was another big mistake by Sam sidelining him in the way he did earlier this season and I think it is very lucky circumstances meant we didn't end up selling him for peanuts. it is extremely laughable that Jarvis cost 18 times more than him
RyanWHUFC
Total likes: 1 like

Post by RyanWHUFC »

With Crouchend on the Vaz Jarvis debate. Vaz attacks the far post much better and is a much bigger threat going forward than Jarvis. Especially now we have Downing supplying crosses I'd be more than happy for Vaz to start over Jarvis when both are fit.

If I'm honest I look at Vaz and even if he's having a awful game I always feel like he can nick us a goal.
Crouchend_Hammer

without wanting to hijack the Carroll thread with Vaz, i personally think he could have been an outside bet for the Portugal world cup squad if he hadn't got injured and kept up his improving form. admittedly they have ronaldo and nani but they are a bit weak in other attacking areas
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:In my opinion, Carroll's performances last season were massively over-hyped (when he was actually fit), most of the time i thought he was fairly average (especially against the decent teams where you expect him to step up).
As you say all about opinion, I wasn't that keen on Carroll before we signed him but I have been very impressed with his general play and work ethic when he has played. One thing I hadn't appreciated before was his movement and control
Crouchend_Hammer wrote: No other clubs were interested in him, and i think that pretty much says it all, and yet he still took all summer to sign. hardly banging our door down to play for us.
I'm not sure how many clubs inquired, no doubt the fee that Liverpool wanted was off-putting for some. I thought it was widely accepted that he actually signed before but the announcement was kept back for the kit launch - definitely not the end of the summer, unless English summers end in June ;)
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Carroll's control is what you'd expect from a professional footballer...nothing better than that.

His movement is also average at best in that he was often found out of position when we had a chance to break forward.

His heading ability and his dominance in an aerial duel are two things - perhaps the only two things - that imo mark him out as anything special at all.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Puncher12 wrote:Jarvis is a lot better than Vaz Te.
Very different players. You play both types.

It's Vaz Te/Kalou type on one side. Downing/Jarvis on the other side.

You get a wide forward who attacks the far post and then an out and out winger on the other.

Jarvis is a massively under rated player too. His protection of the full back, work rate, running with the ball to ease pressure, widening the pitch by staying on the touchline, winning corners, and endless cut backs to inside the box have been vital for us. If we had a striker to play, they would be lapping up the quality of the cutbacks Jarvis makes to the area between the penalty spot and the edge of the box.

Personally, Jarvis and Vaz Te would potentially be our best two wide players. It's only that Downing has been playing well recently. Jarvis on form would be my pick of the two because of his pace.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Seeing as we're lacking goals and have no striker to hit Vaz would definitely be a better option than Jarvis right now imo