Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

steps
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 256 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by steps »

kenthammer1984 wrote:Think we should cut him some slack. He is allowed a holiday as well!!
He's been cut enough over the years. It's all wearing a bit thin now.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

the pink palermo wrote:We used to love this guy when he was banging them in
the difference between a maverick pisshead who almost won us the league and a common or garden pisshead who spends most of his career on the treatment table while clearing ninety bags a week.
IanBishopLegend7

Post by IanBishopLegend7 »

He will score a very important goal this season.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

So is he in Germany training with the squad? Is he gonna be fit to start the season?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

My feeling is he'll spend less time "injured" this season due to having some real competition for his place in the side. Its amazing how these little niggles will be able to be played through if he wants to keep Hernandez out the team.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

He has come along way, to be fair.

Massive improvement from this..

The penny must have finally dropped.

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 525 likes
Total likes: 1319 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Macca1973 wrote:So is he in Germany training with the squad? Is he gonna be fit to start the season?
No, and no.

Him and Antonio were left behind.

By comparison, Antonio did a little Instagram video in the middle of the day telling his followers he was going to the cinema on his own and his wife thought he was mad for doing it all the time. Proper rebellious.
ballantine
Has liked: 1318 likes
Total likes: 235 likes

Post by ballantine »

the pink palermo wrote:Image

We used to love this guy when he was banging them in
2, 3, 1, 4
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1491 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

the pink palermo wrote:Image

We used to love this guy when he was banging them in
And getting his fair share of goals as well :wink:
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

4, 1, 3.
StevePottsGoalsReel
Has liked: 3201 likes
Total likes: 2331 likes

Post by StevePottsGoalsReel »

Plenty will disagree, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a different level of professionalism from a modern footballer in the top flight compared to just a couple of decades ago (i.e the McAvennie comparisons). The game's a completely different beast these days and the level of athleticism expected of all players surely demands the occasional sacrifice - for which they are very well-compensated.

Carroll's an England international, meant to be on £90k a week, has cost clubs upwards of £50m in transfer fees. It really doesn't seem that much to ask that he eat healthily, not get p1ssed and generally take care of himself to the extent that one day he might even play more games than he misses.
The Full Fonte

Post by The Full Fonte »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
By comparison, Antonio did a little Instagram video in the middle of the day telling his followers he was going to the cinema on his own and his wife thought he was mad for doing it all the time. Proper rebellious.
Antonio's cheating on his missus then
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:My feeling is he'll spend less time "injured" this season due to having some real competition for his place in the side. Its amazing how these little niggles will be able to be played through if he wants to keep Hernandez out the team.
As long as he's picking up his £90k/week wage "unplayable" AC won't care less if he is actually playing at all.

A shameless leech on the club. Sooner his contract runs down and he leaves on a free the better.
POP POP POP Robson
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by POP POP POP Robson »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:My feeling is he'll spend less time "injured" this season.....
We say it this time every year but it never quite pans out that way.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Picking up a wage to play a handful of games each season, heading to Dubai whilst your teammates are slogging it out on the pitch, staying up all night partying in Maga when your teammates are grafting in preseason.

I don't think AC would have it any other way to be honest.

He's living the best of both worlds, a good footballer on his day, and a great asset for any team when fit, i just can't help but think, he really doesn't care enough.

You don't see Antonio out until the early hours, "pissed" as a fart, simply because he is a pro, he is desperate to get back on the pitch and join up with the lads.

I could accept that Carroll is unlucky with injuries, but he really does not give his body the best possible chance does he.

A shame and a waste of talent.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1520 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

It's worth noting, that traditionally, Carroll has been rushed back into the side before he often seems ready. Usually because we've been having to make do with an ageing Carlton Cole, Jonathan Calleri or whichever other random striker we're making do with becuase Sakho and Carroll are both out again.

With the attacking players we do now have (and if Bilic does go with 3 attacking players as he did towads the end of last season with Ayew, Lanzini and Calleri) to give Carroll (and possibly even Sakho) a bit of a rest before coming back.

With Antonio, Ayew, Arnautovic, Hernandez, Lanzini, Feghouli and Snodgrass all capable of lining up in the front 3 ahead of both Carroll and Sakho we should hopefully be ok.

Having said that, Carroll should be used sparingly and mainly as an impact sub imo.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

If Andy was staying fit and playing to his best ability I wouldn't give a **** if he was out all night munching on disco biscuits and slipping a length to the podium dancers.
But seeing him out with his eyes glazed and his arm draped around some young doris when he spends 2/3 of the season injured and is (was) our highest paid player, really pisses me off. It's like he is rubbing our noses in it (and I don't mean the white stuff).
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Heard yesterday Carroll was on his way back to Rehab! same old story, people are starting to select who we may play come the start of the season in the line up and bench, something I never do, leave it to The Manager, but it saddens me that we have some talented young players and none of them seem to get a chance.

Time we thought seriously about the future of Carroll, we are not a registered charity?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 867 likes
Total likes: 4277 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

The most annoying part is even when fit, he's wildly overrated. He has a unique selling point in that he's aerially majestic and that's it.

I suppose he can also come across as one of those players you'd hate to be playing against your team because of that but it's irrelevant if doesn't play anyway.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

Aztec Hammer wrote:The most annoying part is even when fit, he's wildly overrated. He has a unique selling point in that he's aerially majestic and that's it.

I suppose he can also come across as one of those players you'd hate to be playing against your team because of that but it's irrelevant if doesn't play anyway.
I don't agree, when he is fit and on form he is fantastic, he scared the **** out of defences with his movement, his strengths and his Ariel presence. When he is in the zone he is unstoppable. Unfortunately it seems to take a bit of time for him to get to the level where he can play like that and each time he finds form he soon seems to pick up another injury.