Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Hammerite

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by Hammerite »

With everything else that's been going on, I genuinely forgot all about this bloke until this thread popped back up.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2106 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by chappo59 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Carroll 'back before end of season'
He's had more comebacks than Sinatra
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 834 likes
Total likes: 4920 likes

Post by -DL- »

Like him or loathe him, the fact remains our win percentage is greater with him in the team than when he isn't. Unfortunately, it's more often that not that he isn't in the team.
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

I'm sure that our win percentage with him against teams around the relegation places are higher with him in the team, and that our win percantage with him against top half teams are better without him in the team.

He has had one game in the last few seasons when he has been able to stay in & around the box for the majority of the time, and iirc that was against WBA, when he scored those vital goals.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

I’m going to stick my neck out and say that I actually feel quite sorry for the bloke (bank balance aside). It’s not like he wants to be a perma-crock. He gets to play about 6 games a season and spends 4 of those getting up to match fitness. When he has his annual ‘unplayable’ game, he must start thinking ‘if I can keep this up, I might be in with a shout of the England team again’...until the inevitable happens all over again.
I don’t often see him hiding when he is on the pitch. He might not be the most mobile, but he still throws himself into challenges ( makes me wince).
He’s seeing the best years of his career and all his potential p***ed away on the treatment table - must be heartbreaking.
I just wish he was somebody else’s problem.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2013 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

-DL- wrote:Like him or loathe him, the fact remains our win percentage is greater with him in the team than when he isn't. Unfortunately, it's more often that not that he isn't in the team.
Our win % is better when I go and watch the games DL (5 visits to the OS and all wins), but I don't think many will be praying for my return anytime soon. :wink:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1094 likes

Post by Rio »

OohAahButler wrote:I’m going to stick my neck out and say that I actually feel quite sorry for the bloke (bank balance aside). It’s not like he wants to be a perma-crock. He gets to play about 6 games a season and spends 4 of those getting up to match fitness. When he has his annual ‘unplayable’ game, he must start thinking ‘if I can keep this up, I might be in with a shout of the England team again’...until the inevitable happens all over again.
I don’t often see him hiding when he is on the pitch. He might not be the most mobile, but he still throws himself into challenges ( makes me wince).
He’s seeing the best years of his career and all his potential p***ed away on the treatment table - must be heartbreaking.

My thoughts exactly.
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 865 likes
Total likes: 4269 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Forgot this guy existed.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 642 likes
Total likes: 594 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Might stay if we go down?
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2399 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

OohAahButler wrote:I’m going to stick my neck out and say that I actually feel quite sorry for the bloke (bank balance aside). It’s not like he wants to be a perma-crock. He gets to play about 6 games a season and spends 4 of those getting up to match fitness. When he has his annual ‘unplayable’ game, he must start thinking ‘if I can keep this up, I might be in with a shout of the England team again’...until the inevitable happens all over again.
I know a couple of people who are relatively close to him and his missus. It is well known he doesn't like football much so although he, of course, woukd rather not be injured, he isn't as bothered about it as other players might be. He has quite a few business interests brewing.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with that btw. Just the way it is as Bruce Hornsby once said
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. I think his lifestyle choices contribute to a lot of his injuries! He's hardly the consumate professional Headbanger
OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler »

DM wrote:I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. I think his lifestyle choices contribute to a lot of his injuries! He's hardly the consumate professional Headbanger
I’m not so sure. I get that he likes a drink - plenty of players do - but I don’t see his injury problems as being down to lack of fitness. More that he’s a big lumbering bloke who plays as if he hasn’t realised that he’s actually made of glass.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

OohAahButler wrote: ... all his potential p***ed away ...
This was all you really needed to post Ooh Aah. :wink:
OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler »

[quote="This was all you really needed to post Ooh Aah. :wink:[/quote]
:D
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

DM wrote:I wouldn't feel too sorry for him. I think his lifestyle choices contribute to a lot of his injuries! He's hardly the consumate professional Headbanger
OohAahButler wrote: I’m not so sure. I get that he likes a drink - plenty of players do - but I don’t see his injury problems as being down to lack of fitness. More that he’s a big lumbering bloke who plays as if he hasn’t realised that he’s actually made of glass.
You don;t see the possibility that the two are connected?
OohAahButler

Post by OohAahButler »

You don;t see the possibility that the two are connected?[/quote]
Not really, if I’m honest. I’d associate drinking with poor fitness, attitude etc. Not brittle bones and ankle ligaments.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

Hypothetically, if Carroll were to score the goal that won us the point(s) that kept us up, would have to say that ultimately he had paid off as a signing? Or would we look at all the time he's missed as one important reason why we're struggling so badly?
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

OohAahButler wrote:You don;t see the possibility that the two are connected?
Not really, if I’m honest. I’d associate drinking with poor fitness, attitude etc. Not brittle bones and ankle ligaments.[/quote]

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... erformance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

This. Sooner he ****'s off the better.