Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by claretandblue82 »

Unfortunately we're stuck with him. I cannot see anyone wanting him considering his injury record and his ridiculous wages. He seems to spend more time on holiday then training/playing and his missus isn't going to want to move away from the Essex lifestyle.

According to the contract stats on this site we still have another 2 years of him with another 2 year option which will hopefully never happen and we can send him off to the glue factory!

Having one good game a year or scoring a spectacular goal isn't good enough to warrant the amount we are f.orking out for him!
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Coops wrote:
I don't agree, when he is fit and on form he is fantastic, he scared the **** out of defences with his movement, his strengths and his Ariel presence. When he is in the zone he is unstoppable. Unfortunately it seems to take a bit of time for him to get to the level where he can play like that and each time he finds form he soon seems to pick up another injury.
I respect your opinion mate but I have to say it does my head in a bit when I hear that he is 'unstoppable' or 'unplayable'. I've seen him handily dealt with loads of times.

Every now and then he punks out a side like Swansea who can't deal with him, but generally we are one dimensional and easily served up by the more competent sides who aren't particularly worried about him.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Coops wrote:he scared the **** out of defences with his movement
nope

Coops wrote:When he is in the zone he is unstoppable
can't remember many games where he was "unstoppable". unless by "unstoppable" you just mean very good.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Having Carroll, is why we have had so many stop gap strikers.

Like us the owners think "this is the year" "this year will be different, Carroll will stay fit"

We sign players who will back him up when fit, and panic buy what we can we in inevitably gets crocked again.

I'm not defending the owners poor record of signing strikers, but when you are pinning your hopes and planning your targets on Carroll being fit for a season... it will always lead to disapointment.
Coops
Has liked: 444 likes
Total likes: 574 likes

Post by Coops »

Vs Arsenal when he got a hat trick
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

Coops wrote:Vs Arsenal when he got a hat trick
Wow! One game. That's worth paying out £4m+ a year on wages for him!
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

Coops wrote:Vs Arsenal when he got a hat trick
which is not "many" games. he plays the very occasional stormer, but he's nothing more than "very good" when fit and on form. which is about 5 games a year anyway...
Coops

Post by Coops »

claretandblue82 wrote:
Wow! One game. That's worth paying out £4m+ a year on wages for him!
I don't think there is any doubt that he has been a waste of money. But that wasn't the point, the point is that people are now saying that he isn't that good when he is fit, which I think is not true at all. They are probably the same people who have revised their view on how good Payet was in his first season.
Coops

Post by Coops »

warp wrote: which is not "many" games. he plays the very occasional stormer, but he's nothing more than "very good" when fit and on form. which is about 5 games a year anyway...
When he is on form he can be brilliant. No player has a great game every time they play. He is better than very good IMO.
The trouble is every time he finds form he gets injured.
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

The point is, if he could stay fit we have a good player on our hands, who does frighten back fours, the issue is keeping him on the park.

I'm hoping with little pea here and hopefully another signing plus maybe Sakho that it takes the pressure off having to rush him back and giving him 90 minutes all the time, without a doubt a fit Andy Carroll is a major advantage to this club.

I wish people would give it a rest re his salary though.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

we dont have to rush him back now we have hernandez...

use him sparingly as an impact player off of the bench to tear it up

not a bad option top have

bloke is a beast
warp

Post by warp »

Coops wrote:the point is that people are now saying that he isn't that good when he is fit, which I think is not true at all. They are probably the same people who have revised their view on how good Payet was in his first season.
:eh:
whaddafaq has that to do with anything?
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

frankiemac wrote:we dont have to rush him back now we have hernandez...

use him sparingly as an impact player off of the bench to tear it up

not a bad option top have

bloke is a beast

^^^^100% this.

I'm another who gets annoyed with talk of his wages. If somebody wants to offer me a shed load of dosh and i have a questionable injury record that's their fault not mine. Same with players like Kieron Dyer.

Hopefully after Dyer and now Carroll we have learnt our lesson but it wouldn't surprise me to see Jack Wheelchair turn up.
warp

Post by warp »

Cockneyboy311 wrote:I'm another who gets annoyed with talk of his wages. If somebody wants to offer me a shed load of dosh and i have a questionable injury record that's their fault not mine. Same with players like Kieron Dyer.
the talk of his wages is generally an argument against the owners, not carroll.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

I don't really worry about his wages or the cost. He's scored some incredibly important goals for us and I actually think there are plenty of clubs currently in the Championship who wouldn't be there if they had had Andy Carroll up front for 15 games a season like we had.

When he arrived at West Ham we were aiming for survival. Over the last 4 or 5 seasons, our aspirations have obviously changed, but Carroll has done the job he came into to do and more. We're still in the division. That is worth all the money we have paid him over the years imo. Sad that we haven't seen more of him, but if you could guarantee 38 games a season out of him, I'm not sure he'd be at West Ham.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Coops wrote:
I don't think there is any doubt that he has been a waste of money. But that wasn't the point, the point is that people are now saying that he isn't that good when he is fit, which I think is not true at all. They are probably the same people who have revised their view on how good Payet was in his first season.
Eh?

I said I respected your opinion but you obviously don't respect mine.

For what it's worth, Payet is pure quality and Carroll shouldn't even be mentioned in the same class with him.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Turns to Stone wrote:I don't really worry about his wages or the cost. He's scored some incredibly important goals for us and I actually think there are plenty of clubs currently in the Championship who wouldn't be there if they had had Andy Carroll up front for 15 games a season like we had.

When he arrived at West Ham we were aiming for survival. Over the last 4 or 5 seasons, our aspirations have obviously changed, but Carroll has done the job he came into to do and more. We're still in the division. That is worth all the money we have paid him over the years imo. Sad that we haven't seen more of him, but if you could guarantee 38 games a season out of him, I'm not sure he'd be at West Ham.
He pretty much had his 38 game season at a bigger club than West Ham, and he was dreadful.

Now I think he's a better player than what he showed there, but he seems to be a classic case of the player that gets better and better the longer is he out injured.
steps
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 244 likes

Post by steps »

Carroll could easily walk into any mid-table to bottom half Prem side.

Newcastle
Stoke
WBA
Huddersfield
Brighton
Palace
Etc...

The thing is would he actually want to go anywhere else bar Newcastle? He's on a handsome contract with us and as others have mentioned he is well settled in the Essex suburbs and it would be hard to prize him away from the TOWIE lifestyle.

If Newcastle came in with a reasonable bid I'd be tempted to cut our losses and spend that money on a more mobile striker like Dembele or Iheanacho.
Hammer83
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

Turns to Stone wrote: Sad that we haven't seen more of him, but if you could guarantee 38 games a season out of him, I'm not sure he'd be at West Ham.

So does that mean you think we would be at one of the big 6 clubs? :? He is a limited player regardless of his poor attitude and fitness record.That is why Liverpool got shot straight away and took a massive hit on him.
Aztec Hammer

Post by Aztec Hammer »

steps wrote:Carroll could easily walk into any mid-table to bottom half Prem side.

Newcastle
Stoke
WBA
Huddersfield
Brighton
Palace
Etc...

The thing is would he actually want to go anywhere else bar Newcastle? He's on a handsome contract with us and as others have mentioned he is well settled in the Essex suburbs and it would be hard to prize him away from the TOWIE lifestyle.

If Newcastle came in with a reasonable bid I'd be tempted to cut our losses and spend that money on a more mobile striker like Dembele or Iheanacho.
I'm not sure Carroll could easily walk into anything. Except a Mediterranean nightclub. He's a massive drain on the club, make no mistake. But the contract is so bad that it's basically in our best interests to bite our lip, deal with it and love on him for the half a dozen or so games a year that he decides to have a stormer.