Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

coyi27

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by coyi27 »

It's funny how consistent his play is after every injury.

Phase 1: Looks unfit and is hardly noticeable for 3-4 matches
Phase 2: Looks like a world beater with almost a goal a game scoring ratio in games 5-7
Phase 3: Every press conference question is about Andy being in the next England squad
Phase 4: Gets subbed off with a seemingly nothing injury in game 8
Phase 5: Injury is played down by everyone at the club, but Carroll is out for over a month

Repeat
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 82 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

I like the bloke and i think some of his injury problems are due to the fact that he throws himself into everything with such gusto - here are his injuries in date order

November 2012-January 2013

Just a week after netting his first goal for the club, Carroll twisted his knee in a 1-0 defeat at Old Trafford and was ruled out for 11 games.

May-September 2013

after his 11-match absence, Carroll returned and scored six goals in the final ten games of the season but picked up a heel problem on he final day of the season. The Hammers still signed him permanently for £15m from Liverpool but he missed pre-season and was set to return that September.

September-January 2014

Carroll's return was abruptly cut short by a foot injury in training which would rule him out until the new year, returning as a substitute in a 2-0 win over Cardiff City. He was out for a total of 21 games.

July-November 2014

For the second time, Carroll missed 11 matches after tearing his ankle ligaments while on a pre-season tour to New Zealand. He returned against Aston Villa that November as a substitute and got on the scoresheet.

February - September 2015

Carroll had netted five goals in 16 games before his season was cut short thanks to a knee injury suffered in a challenge with Maya Yoshida against Southampton on the south coast. He'd return in September of that year having missed 24 games.

January 2016 - February 2016

Carroll missed five games with an injury that still isn't actually known. It was declared as an unknown injury and was out for 22 days.

August 2016 - December 2016

Carroll picked up a knee injury in the Europa League draw away at Astra Girgiu after getting a full pre-season under his belt, finally feeling 100% and hopefully committed for a full season. Alas, no, and he was out for 17 games.

February 2017 - March

Having scored four goals in four games and being linked with an England recall, Carroll was injured in the 3-1 win away at Middlesbrough and missed the next four games before returning.

April 2017

An adductor problem picked up against Arsenal has ruled Carroll out of the games against Swansea and Sunderland, he will miss this weekends match against Everton as well.
fester
Eats sh*t
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by fester »

The initial management of an adductor injury should include protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (PRICE). Painful activities should be avoided. The use of crutches during the first few days may be indicated to relieve pain. Use of steroid injections is controversial in adductor strains, because the potential exists for tendon rupture if the steroid is injected into the tendon itself. Obtain consultations as appropriate to rule out differential diagnoses. [16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21]
Do not advance the athlete too quickly back to his/her sport, as the injury may become a chronic condition. Acute strains easily can become chronic strains if proper time is not allowed for healing. Chronic strains are much more difficult to manage.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Sulkho will be happy, well a little less miserable, anyway.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

cant we just put the carthorse down !
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

hammerman11 wrote:cant we just put the carthorse down !

We would need to find a replacement though.

Who is out there and available?
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

This thread reminds me to check the news first.
For clarity. Misses out saturday with a thigh strain.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

it's an odd thing this forum, lots of threads with just the bloke's name in the title where you almost guarantee there's something unpleasant lying inside.

see an andy carroll thread bumped up, he's probably injured. see the slav thread bumped, it's a rumour about his replacement, see the mark noble thread it's someone giving him a coating.

it's like getting unsolicited letters in the post with your name on it.
Roby
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 264 likes

Post by Roby »

30 league goals in a just a few games short of FIVE full seasons.

Pathetic.

I think selling him this summer is a key decision if we are to push on as a club, he's been given more than enough time to come good and it clearly isn't going to happen for him in a claret and blue shirt.
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:This thread reminds me to check the news first.
For clarity. Misses out saturday with a thigh strain.
Local rumour mill around these parts saying that his gout had flared up (again)......
mushy
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 880 likes

Post by mushy »

Roby wrote:
I think selling him this summer is a key decision if we are to push on as a club, he's been given more than enough time to come good and it clearly isn't going to happen for him in a claret and blue shirt.
Sell him to whom exactly?
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 1161 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

mushy wrote:
Sell him to whom exactly?

Some Chinese club for about £30m
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I can see him possibly going back to Newcastle now they're about to be promoted. But it shouldn't be on the cheap if they do want him back. He would be just the kind of statement of intent and good publicity Ashley needs to placate the Geordie faithful and I'm sure Carroll would jump at the chance (as long as he doesn't get injured in the process) whilst still in his prime.

No less than what we paid for him, arguably more if the Daves are clever negotiators on this one. Somewhere between £15m-20m in today's inflated market would be reasonable. They don't want to cough up even £15m, then we all carry on as we are until they do accept our terms. We ain't a charity where we can keep hemorrhaging money, £10m ain't worth our while.

On a personal note, I would be very sad to see him go should the right offer come in for him, but ultimately there's only so much we can tolerate a player being injured and there being little sign of it letting up. Carroll, the class Centre Forward that he is I have no issue whatsoever with, it's based purely on his inability to keep fit for long enough that makes me think this way. However should he stay, I'm more than happy with that too, only thinking more pragmatically should the right offer come in everyone would be happy with.

And should he go, he would definitely have to be replaced by another quality Striker.
Ifebbubbles

Post by Ifebbubbles »

No one, I repeat, no one is going to pay anywhere near 15 million for Andy Carroll. He has proven time and time again to be an absolute liability. I can't see anyone taking him on a free on his wages either.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Ifebbubbles wrote:No one, I repeat, no one is going to pay anywhere near 15 million for Andy Carroll. He has proven time and time again to be an absolute liability. I can't see anyone taking him on a free on his wages either.

Don't be silly.

And let's not blow his chequered injury record out of all proportion, it's not like he's suffered career threatening leg breaks, ACL's and the like. It's general wear and tear, mainly from barging his way around the pitch, not because he's got an injury concern inherently wrong with him. He's worth considerably more than the princely sum of f*** all, as his recent goals/assists (and valuable defending) have proved.

During the course of the past 2 seasons, he's still managed to make 53 appearances scoring 16 times (not sure on total assists) in the process. That's not exactly terrible on either count, especially for someone with the perception that they don't play often.
Last edited by Colours never run on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Personally I wish Andy Carroll well, and hope he has a speedy and decent recovery - he's a key component of our team , both attacking and defending .Unquestionably he has been one of our better performers in recent months .

I wouldn't sell him , I'd try and take some miles off his clock turning him into our first option off the bench on the hour .To do that we need to sign a mobile, moving channel running striker for the first hour of each game , call it £40m .That will be this summers price .

If we did sell him I'd expect Palace to be the destination .
Colours never run

For one thing, Andy Carroll wouldn't (and in my opinion also shouldn't) accept only coming off from the bench. He'd expect to start a fair few games having proved his fitness. He's too good when fit to keep on the bench in any case.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Colours never run wrote: He's too good when fit to keep on the bench in any case.
Whilst I agree to a certain extent, having him on the pitch at times, can bring out the worst in us, with the 'when in doubt, hoof it to Carroll mentality'

I know we don't seem to have a style of play at all, at present, but at least when he isn't on the field it forces the players to think a bit more about what to do with the ball, rather than launch it forward, to an isolated Carroll who usually has both opposing CB's on him.

He is a great weapon to have, with a doubt, both defensively and offensively, having him come off the bench, to either try and win a game or hang on to what we have, would suit the team and the player I think.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

I wonder how long he's been carrying this injury? He hasn't looked right for a few weeks now.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2689 likes
Total likes: 1788 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

To properly manage the Andy Carroll situation we should at the very least buy a 2nd striker who is capable of playing up to Premiership standards - We play Carroll as often as is physically possible as we have no other viable alternative - instead of gambling on 3 or 4 third rate players invest in at least one more quality striker .
Presently we have -

Diafra Sakho - let's not kid ourselves , he's never ever ever going to play for us ever again , forget him .

Jonathan Calleri - he'd be ok playing 2 up front but not as a replacement for Carroll , perhaps not up to Premiership standard .

Ashley Fletcher - not up to Premiership standard week in week out . Fine as a sub for 15 minutes .

Michail Antonio - He's not an out and out striker , ok in emergencies only .

Andre Ayew - again , ok as a second striker but now lacks pace for a winger and strength for the lone striker role .

Antonio Martinez - maybe .

There's simply too much pressure on the manager to play Andy Carroll in every game he's fit for , there can be no alternative plan without a proper alternative striker .

Keep Andy , but buy another capable striker .