Andy Carroll

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

kevino
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Re: Andy Carroll

Post by kevino »

Seemed to me like he had been told to jump with his arms down to avoid elbowing anyone, which gave him very little leverage. Resulted in him winning very little in the air in my view and therefore seriously limited his effectiveness. He doesn't seem very happy with his football these days either.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Someone mentioned putting him at the back. Good shout, as he's much more affective defending than he is attacking right now.
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5679 likes
Total likes: 3096 likes

Post by MB »

Good point about the elbows.

What I don’t understand is the lack of movement. At his best he was always coming on to the ball and then he really is unplayable.

This version reminds me of Lee Chapman.
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Seriously these guys saying he's overweight is just :lol:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Astounded that he wasn't dragged at any point on Friday.

I like Andy and feel he has a lot to offer the squad as an impact sub to come on and shake things up at bit in the last 20/30 mins.

But we cannot start him. Been saying the same thing for three seasons or more. He changes the whole team dynamic and stifles what limited creativity we do have. We need someone with a bit of pace to run the channels and put pressure on the oppositions back four. That is not Carroll.
Bubbles Bob
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Bubbles Bob »

I was actually pleased with Carroll's efforts. He is a threat and he draws players to himself creating space for others. He worked hard and seemed to care, there have obviously been instructions to him and the fact he's trying to put them into place rather then sticking up a finger and getting sent off. I also thought he got into some good positions which on other days with a better delivery would have resulted with an attempt on goal.

Sadly he couldn't impose himself on the defence but this is because with all the noise around him and his arms he has to be whiter than white until the media finds someone else to pick on.
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

The sooner he is utilized as a sub the better, we should be developing the teams starting 11 not including him. Our plan A should be Hernandez up top creating movement and space for our flare players like Antonio, Arnie, Lanzini etc. Carroll should be used as a plan B only. He gets in the way, he doesn't move enough, always waiting back post for a cross. He is becoming more predictable and easy to play against. It affects our flow completely.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

The problem I have is if he is a target man there is no one behind him to to get the knock down/on, he wins a header and it goes where, a midfield of Obiang, Kouyate and Lanzini is hardly a poacher playing off him.
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

I still don't think we use Carroll particularly well. We always have this problem with "target men" - the same happened with Carlton.

Balls belted long, 40-50 yards, back to goal - and no player close by. My issue with going long and going direct is not it's attractiveness or lack of it, it's that I don't think we've ever been particularly good at it no matter what personnel we have.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

WorcesterWHU wrote:I still don't think we use Carroll particularly well. We always have this problem with "target men" - the same happened with Carlton.

Balls belted long, 40-50 yards, back to goal - and no player close by. My issue with going long and going direct is not it's attractiveness or lack of it, it's that I don't think we've ever been particularly good at it no matter what personnel we have.
So true :thup: Carroll occupies defences at set pieces. A bit of intelligence by our players would look at using him as a decoy and hit the ball away from him.

How many times to we see a cross/corner flash past absolutely nobody coming in late at the far post.

Nolan was a master at seeing that opportunity.

It's pointless Carroll winning headers when nobody looks to play off him.

He is certainly not in great form, but is anybody at the moment?
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Out of tonight's game. Would be intrigued to know just how many injuries this bloke has had in his career? He must be near the record for a Premier League player. Ridiculous that he was given such a long contract. After all, I can't imagine clubs were queuing up to sign a crock.
Ozza
Has liked: 943 likes
Total likes: 2392 likes

Post by Ozza »

Anyone else seen golds tweet on Carroll not playing tonight, wish he and those other mugs would keep their gobs shut?
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1296 likes
Total likes: 684 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Ozza wrote:Anyone else seen golds tweet on Carroll not playing tonight, wish he and those other mugs would keep their gobs shut?
What’s it say Oz?
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 542 likes
Total likes: 463 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

WorcesterWHU wrote:I still don't think we use Carroll particularly well. We always have this problem with "target men" - the same happened with Carlton.

Amen to this. I am not a fan of long ball but if you do it effectively than it can work and it can be exciting. We have just never been good at it, we try but we ultimately fail and fall flat.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Safe journey to all travelling fans going to Everton tonight. We will be without Andy Carroll again who I personally thought would be running out of excuses by now. dg
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Ozza wrote:Safe journey to all travelling fans going to Everton tonight. We will be without Andy Carroll again who I personally thought would be running out of excuses by now. dg
That’ll be the fake David Gold account that’s out there.
Ozza

Post by Ozza »

Is it, well google is proper ****

Ignore the above apologies all

Edit - what sad ****er would want to be a fake person on Twitter???
thejackhammer

Post by thejackhammer »

Ozza wrote:Is it, well google is proper ****

Ignore the above apologies all

Edit - what sad ****er would want to be a fake person on Twitter???
No problem my friend! Certainly not the first person to mistakenly quote that account, and I doubt you’ll be the last.

I can only think it’s a supporter of Millwall or Tottenham on the wind-up (not that they care about us)
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

So he is out with a knee injury tonight?

Any ideas how long he will be out for?
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

kenthammer1984 wrote:So he is out with a knee injury tonight?

Any ideas how long he will be out for?
Shocking that he won’t be there to clap the team off at the end of the game either way :wink:

Hope he’s gone in January.