Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Colours never run »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
Maybe though Noble doesn't have a problem with the owners. They have been good to him over the last 7 years or so (as a professional rather than as a 'fan')

Whilst he can probably see it from a fans point of view, his first responsibility is as a professional footballer, and in that context he may actually have no beef with the board, so why go against them?

Oh come on, if the Board told him to jump off the stadium roof, should he do it? We're talking about a West Ham boy here, not just any old Johnny come lately who hasn't a clue or care in the world about how we tick. He should know better than to react and say what he's said since the match if he's so in tune with his fellow Hammers he professes to be. To politely say no I'm not doing that won't mean they'll suddenly rock his wages or sell him, they should appreciate how difficult the situation is for him being one of us and why it's perfectly acceptable to say you know what, drop me out on this one. And if they can't then he knows how we feel right now about them.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

As i said, he is a professional footballer first and foremost trying to do his job. Maybe he firmly believes what he says, and that calling for unity is what he believes the players need to deliver the results needed to stay up
We, as fans, may not care if we get relegated, but mark Noble, as the captain of the club and a professional footballer, certainly does
szola
Has liked: 590 likes
Total likes: 353 likes

Post by szola »

If the captain manages to inspire his teammates, and comes out of the block flying on Saturday, I'm sure he will be cheered on for the full ninety minutes.

Treat every game as a cup final, and the supporters will be supportive.

Not rocket science in my opinion.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Surely as captain you would expect him to call for fans backing for a crucial game. At the end of the day we're all watching a football match, which is why we're there. Any disputes with the people running the club should be a seperate issue, people keep saying it's nothing to do with poor results but it seems to be that the distinction is becoming blurred. Opinion in the media has swung suddenly against the board but it can swing back just as quickly. Organised protest off the pitch will now get media coverage of the right sort, on the pitch will give the board the moral high ground. Nobles job is to captain west ham (a difficult enough job) not to lead a fan's revolt. The players are caught in the crossfire here, they shouldn't be asked to show support for anyone. And no,I don't think calling for support and unity from fans is backing the board, it's backing the team
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

The owners new exactly what they were doing when they got Mark Noble on board regarding the move, Don't know how many times they released pictures of him at the bowl in his hi-vi and hard hat, saying what a great move this will be for the club, I don't blame Noble, he bought into the lies just has thousands of supporters did.
It would be good to hear what his true views of the move are now, instead of the party line.
Last edited by e10hammer on Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bend it like Repka
Has liked: 367 likes
Total likes: 815 likes

Post by Bend it like Repka »

Edit. misread post
Humbug
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by Humbug »

Am I missing something here? Haven't the fans been supporting the team through thick and thin for most of the season, especially the travelling fans still singing their hearts out while still being thrashed by the opposition? So Mark saying what he does (obviously to avoid repeat protests during future games) needs to ask himself and the players to get their fingers out of their backsides. Because no matter how much the fans have got behind the players , many of them haven't given a toss. All this similar crap I've heard before from players struggling in relegation fights : "we must do better" , "we need to look in the mirror", "we have to stick together and try harder" , "we didn't perform today". Excuses , excuses all the time rather than "we gave everything out there". How many times have they said that post match? Not many times. Words are cheap Mark, actions speak louder.
e17
Has liked: 291 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

I think a part of the problem is related to the fact that Nobes is simply a solid, unspectacular professional footballer, who happens to be a WHU lad, and for that reason was made captain.

He’s been a dependable and decent player for us, but he’s never ever been a game changing, inspiring, creative player, like how someone like Scott Parker or Payet were. Or even to a lesser extent, Kevin Nolan could be on a good day.

Therefore these words and stuff like this comes from a player who isn’t going to take a bad game by the scruff and in an ideal world would be left to do what he’s great at, in a team with a Parker or Nolan or Payet to actually influence everything around them.

Like everything on the pitch for WHU, he’s been sold down the river like the rest of us.
flysohigh
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by flysohigh »

Noble for me is someone who will be remembered in the Steve Potts mould. Decent player, did his best but was never top draw. Local boy, so was happy to stay at the club and well paid to do so.

My problem is that if you want to play the I'm a fan card like David Gold you have to behave like a fan. All he is interested in is money and he makes his decisions based on that sole fact. Now ask yourself this as a fan would you charge the club 7% interest on a loan if you were worth in the region of £600 million? for me this is where Brady actually gains a some respect. She makes it quite clear it is a job to her, she is employed to run a business and make business decisions. She has no affinity to the club and sees us as customers. I don't like it but at least I know where I stand with her.

Back to Mark Noble. Canning Town boy being used as a puppet for the board, roughs up fan on the pitch. No apology. Where do you stand Mark? I am not asking him to breach his contract but either stop blaming the fans for the situation the club is in or show some sort of empathy with what we are going through. Sorry but the very player we thought would stand with the fans has been a major disappointment.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 570 likes
Total likes: 294 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

I think our captain is totally entitled to call for the fans support - his job is to win games, not get involved in all the politics. However, as captain his job is also to help motivate the team... as others have said, if he wants the fans backing we need to see the team giving it everything they’ve got on the pitch
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

e17 wrote:he’s been sold down the river like the rest of us.
:thup:
warontheterraces
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by warontheterraces »

flysohigh wrote:Noble for me is someone who will be remembered in the Steve Potts mould. Decent player, did his best but was never top draw. Local boy, so was happy to stay at the club and well paid to do so.

My problem is that if you want to play the I'm a fan card like David Gold you have to behave like a fan. All he is interested in is money and he makes his decisions based on that sole fact. Now ask yourself this as a fan would you charge the club 7% interest on a loan if you were worth in the region of £600 million

this is where Brady actually gains some respect. She makes it quite clear it is a job to her, she is employed to run a business and make business decisions. She has no affinity to the club and sees us as customers. I don't like it but at least I know where I stand with her.
Fair comment. Maybe I just don’t remember Gold and Sullivan being such big West Ham fans but personally I never saw them at Norwich away midweek, Newcastle or anywhere else for that matter. You’re right I’m no fan of Brady but at least she doesn’t make out to be a Hammerette. We all know she’s hoping for an invite over to Arsenal. It’s just business and largely about the money as you correctly call and the owners need to stop treating fans like they are all thick.
Skandi Brudson
Has liked: 502 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Skandi Brudson »

Colours never run wrote:I can't believe you're buying into the narrative the fans ****ed the result up. What I remember of the day clear as day was the fans getting behind the Team right up until the 1 goal went in. We played alright 1st half no problem, half time they come out playing like a sack of **** and was only a matter of time before they eventually scored (had 1 narrowly disallowed), yet the fans kept backing them. Once the first goal went in then a couple of fans ran on to non violently protest yet Noble goes apoplectic against 1 of his own. Restart and we continue in much the same manner and pattern of play as we started the 2nd half. Once the 2nd went in, in double quick time the game was up considering how badly we've struggled all season at home (again) and so many fans finally took the opportunity to vent their spleen. Burnley were equally confussled and frustrated as our players to get on with It, yet did so brilliantly.

We have backed them and backed them and backed them till the cows come home and yet still they play like a bunch of ***** and now Noble feels it's right to talk to us like children to behave ourselves when he couldn't manage it himself which we've done for 99% of the time prior to this moment backing them unconditionally.
Amen brother.

What if the ref gave a dodgy penalty?!!

Ffs, what if the eleven players in West Ham jerseys played with a bit of composure for a change? What if, for once, they came close to justifying their enormous salaries? What if they didn’t look around for someone else to blame?

Blame the supporters? Jesus!!!
Hermit Road

Post by Hermit Road »

Bend it like Repka wrote:Noble is a professional footballer, not a politician. He can't choose his owners or his manager, he has to turn up and do his job under people he has no control over.

He has a contract and duties that will come with that contract. I don't imagine many on here are able to pick and choose what tasks they do for their bosses, certainly not while hoping to ensure they stay in a long term role.

You’re wrong mate, I bet everyone on here is able to pick and choose what tasks they do for their bosses. For example, if my boss asked me to wash his car while wearing nothing but a pair of suspenders, I’d probably choose not to do it.

Noble had a choice here, and he chose to side with the board. Noble has a tight contract worth millions, they can’t make him say things and any suggestion that they can is ridiculous. They couldn’t do it contractually nor would it be pragmatic so Noble is knee-deep in this because he wants to be. As for turning in our own, he did that when he brought that geezer to the floor. He’s a complete wrongun in my book and the only reason that’s being debated again is because he has once again proved it.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

It's all irrelevant .... whether Noble is sincerer and still believes this was the 'best move for West Ham' makes no difference ... and surely even he's not that naive ....

If we go 0-1 down to Southampton how many fans first thought will be 'right now what do Mark tell me to do' equally if we go 1-0 up who won't get behind us? ....

The fans will start off in a very negative mind-frame, we've been sold down the river by the trio of chancers, spinners, and crooks .... it's 100% down to the players to give the fans something to get behind, after all they're the ones getting paid millions a year .... if they don't, because they truly don't care and/or they just aren't good enough ... then all the grovelling words from Mark will mean feck all ...

It's the players last chance to save themselves ... we will still be here regardless
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Hermit Road wrote:I bet everyone on here is able to pick and choose what tasks they do for their bosses. For example, if my boss asked me to wash his car while wearing nothing but a pair of suspenders, I’d probably choose not to do it.

Noble had a choice here, and he chose to side with the board. Noble has a tight contract worth millions, they can’t make him say things and any suggestion that they can is ridiculous. They couldn’t do it contractually nor would it be pragmatic so Noble is knee-deep in this because he wants to be. As for turning in our own, he did that when he brought that geezer to the floor.
Can't disagree with this.....
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Watching the game again last night, I thought Noble really was outstanding in every way be it on/off the ball or taking care of his players. Back to his best and when he is, we usually play at our best as a Team. Although in front of Southgate, it's too little too late now when he should have been performing like this consistently since January but welcome return to form nonetheless.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2017 likes
Total likes: 1496 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

IronworksDave wrote:It's all irrelevant .... whether Noble is sincerer and still believes this was the 'best move for West Ham' makes no difference ... and surely even he's not that naive ....

If we go 0-1 down to Southampton how many fans first thought will be 'right now what do Mark tell me to do' equally if we go 1-0 up who won't get behind us? ....
Thankfully we got the opener and Saints looked a bit like us in recent weeks. Plus Noble did have a good game. But as you rightly point out, had Saints taken the lead, how would Mark liked us to react?
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Thankfully IF is a very small word. and means nothing really! what IF we were top of the Premiership, we are not! that first half was good and we Won! that is not IF it is a FACT!
irving boleyn
Has liked: 64 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Colours never run wrote:Watching the game again last night, I thought Noble really was outstanding in every way be it on/off the ball or taking care of his players. Back to his best and when he is, we usually play at our best as a Team. Although in front of Southgate, it's too little too late now when he should have been performing like this consistently since January but welcome return to form nonetheless.
Because with the reshuffled midfield his brief was not,for once, to nursemaid Kouyate's occasional bursts.

Kouyate ends up on his arse less = Fewer times Mark has the whole width of the park to cover.