Mark Noble - West Ham Legend 500 up

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 478 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I know I’m a daft old twat at times but I’ve been getting a lot of stick on here for about 8 months stating that noble is past it and Rice is unproven. Particularly as a DM

Looks like I might have been right. Smell my cheese. Go on. Smell it. Pardon?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2705 likes

Post by sendô »

^ Before the season started many were ****ing themselves silly at Rice becoming a DM despite not really showing the attributes for it.
m-h

Post by m-h »

e17 wrote:
Also possibly a classy move by the captain to let our forward get his goal tally for the season going
:thup:

Get the leading goal scorer of the team his first goal of the season, his goals last season were crucial and will be this one as well.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9653 likes

Post by S-H »

sendô wrote:^ Before the season started many were ****ing themselves silly at Rice becoming a DM despite not really showing the attributes for it.
To be fair.. he absolutely bossed it against Ipswich..

:D
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

I love Nobes, but sticking Wilshere next to him shows the difference in class.

Wilshere will be carrying Nobes after long
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

needs to be dropped as was chasing shadows most of the match.

sanchez/obiang next to wilshere as deep CM

noble on bench at best
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

I think Noble has been poor recently, I also don't think it is all his fault. There are two things that stood out for me.

Firstly hardly anyone shows for the ball so after his three point Parker turn he has two options, the safe 5 yard sideway ball or a long hit over the top. Unfortunately hitting ball up to Chica or even Antnio doesn't work because it just bounces back off them or a defender gets in first. That makes it look like it was a poor ball.

Second the prem game has evolved is so fast now and with the likes of Klopp and Guardiola introducing the fast, pressing game we cannot rely on two midfielders in the middle, especially if the midfielder in question lacks pace and / or cannot read the game well enough to close lines.

The midfield needs protecting, which in turn protects the defence. I think we have all said that a DM is a priority and a midfield with a DM can include Noble.

Noble is ok at keeping the game ticking over. He isn't dynamic enough to get the game by the scruff of the neck or he is good enough to be a match winner. Noble is an ok player, average prem midfielder and good enough for us, an average, prem team.

What does disappoint me is the fact he is a hammer, played god knows how many times for the club and captain of this great club and people are telling him to f-off based on some poor performances when lets face it, the team has been **** for the last 3 years and not all down to him!
Last edited by Johnny_C WHU on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

carnage wrote:I’ve got a theory.

Arnie is better a penalties than Noble.

Is you theory backed by any evidence?
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

mumbles87 wrote: You have a hypothesis

“A hypothesis is either a suggested explanation for an observable phenomenon, or a reasoned prediction of a possible causal correlation among multiple phenomena. In science, a theory is a tested, well-substantiated, unifying explanation for a set of verified, proven factors.”
Thanks for the lesson.

But that's theory in terms of the scientific term and I was just posting something on a forum.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend ?

Post by wizzo_66 »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:Hopefully Sam is seeing just how good Nobes is further up the pitch and will buy a proper holding midfielder to free him up a bit.
From 2014, this.

Maybe Sanchez can be a bit of an unsung hero this season and come in to allow players like Wilshere and Noble to express their quality on the ball.

First half on Saturday Noble was pinging fantastic passes everywhere. Over run second half, much like the rest of the side.

Another embarrassing reaction across social media as always able to point the finger. He's an easy target and takes it on the chin.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Re: Mark Noble - West Ham Legend ?

Post by Colours never run »

wizzo_66 wrote:
From 2014, this.

Maybe Sanchez can be a bit of an unsung hero this season and come in to allow players like Wilshere and Noble to express their quality on the ball.

Only concern I've got with that, is that he wasn't any good at doing it at Villa when they eventually got relegated. A few more years on at 32/33, it'll be some turn around to be the man to shore our defence up but funnier things have happened in football and maybe he can find some form at long last but I'm not holding my breath e he'll be able to do that regularly.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

^ tend to agree - which is why most people prioritised a defensive midfielder in the last window.

It clearly wasn't the club's priority and then the same people who wanted one are slagging off Noble for being isolated in a midfield 2....really?

He was a victim of the setup, as was Wilshere, you could go on and on really.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

wizzo_66 wrote:^ tend to agree - which is why most people prioritised a defensive midfielder in the last window.

It clearly wasn't the club's priority and then the same people who wanted one are slagging off Noble for being isolated in a midfield 2....really?

He was a victim of the setup, as was Wilshere, you could go on and on really.
Or remove noble.. stick obiang in there next to Wilshere and he will perform a lot better

Noble is slow and one dimensional . Has been for 3 seasons

He needs an extended spell out the team we have better players

Wilshere should be built around not shoehorned in to fit an average player
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

mumbles87 wrote:
Or remove noble.. stick obiang in there next to Wilshere and he will perform a lot better

Noble is slow and one dimensional . Has been for 3 seasons

He needs an extended spell out the team we have better players

Wilshere should be built around not shoehorned in to fit an average player
You just don't watch the game like I do then :thup:
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

Wizzo. Wilshere is the player everyone thinks noble is / was

Difference is people outside West Ham see Wilshere as class. 34 caps for England.. champs league footy. If wasn’t for injury would be at arsenal still

However outside West Ham very very few rate noble as anything more than average
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

mumbles87 wrote: He needs an extended spell out the team we have better players
History proves that whenever he has spells out, we usually lose. Now I'm not saying don't drop him but I'm not convinced a prolonged period will be necessary.

What I do want to see is Obiang, Noble and Wilshere in the middle. We went 433 in pre season and think it should work even with a back four if the back four selected is also right.

I'd be amazed if Obiang and Diop don't make a markedly improved difference to the side but only time will tell.
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

mumbles87 wrote:Wizzo. Wilshere is the player everyone thinks noble is / was

Difference is people outside West Ham see Wilshere as class. 34 caps for England.. champs league footy. If wasn’t for injury would be at arsenal still

However outside West Ham very very few rate noble as anything more than average
I don't really see them as similar players so I don't see the value in comparing them. I don't disagree with what you have written about Wilshere.

I wouldn't expect Noble to drop his shoulder, ghost past 3 players and play a 1-2 with a striker before finishing neatly.

I wouldn't expect Wilshere to receive the ball to his feet from a fullback just inside the oppositions half, look up and drop a 40 yard pass onto the striker's toes.

I don't think Obiang can do either actually.

A proper defensive midfielder would allow them both to play together really well.
mumbles87

Post by mumbles87 »

For years England tried to shoehorn gerrard and Lampard together just because

I’d rather play obiang or rice as a less thrill player to allow one (Wilshere) to shine

Noble can be his replacement for the 10 games a season jack misses through injury
wizzo_66

Post by wizzo_66 »

mumbles87 wrote:For years England tried to shoehorn gerrard and Lampard together just because
There's no 'just because' about it. They're both excellent footballers, with different styles and qualities - and MP clearly leans towards getting players in the team that can play.

The point is they need a third cog in the midfield to allow that to happen and protect them.

You can not recognise Noble's quality all you want - the people that matter do.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2476 likes
Total likes: 2705 likes

Post by sendô »

mumbles87 wrote:For years England tried to shoehorn gerrard and Lampard together just because
Even more annoying when SGE shoved Scholes out to the left wing, despite the little ginger being better than both of them.

Anyway, for me Noble is the natural back up to Wilshere, not his partner. Sad but true.